Sign in to follow this  
Salty Dog

8 Filipinos Die of Drowning Every Day

Headshot

my wife knew how to swim since she way back when was just a toddler but so far our 7 yr old kid hasn't caught on yet.  i think i could use some tips on how to teach her.  

Lots of time in the water, and start with water wings. It just gives them some extra confidence, and eventually the realize they don't need them. My daughter still has trouble finding the courage to jump from the edge of the pool into deep water (over her head). I think the main thing is to build up their confidence by playing games in the water a lot where she needs to move around. After a while, they figure out what works and what doesn't. It's been a few months since we went to the pool, so I will probably put her back in her water wings when we go back to the pool...just to make sure she is OK. Either I or my wife are always close to our daughter, so that iif she gets tired or panics, she will always have a safe harbor close by. After all, she isn't quite four years old.

• Like 2