Sign in to follow this  
RogerDat

Home Made street light.

RogerDat

Greetings! My 12 VDC, 10 watt LED streetlight. Auto on/off, battery backup. Inspired by that glass headed fish.

post-7667-0-02146700-1438253235_thumb.jpg

post-7667-0-24097900-1438253357_thumb.jpg

post-7667-0-67599200-1438253454_thumb.jpg

post-7667-0-47490200-1438253891_thumb.gif

Edited by RogerDat
  • Like 5

Paul

Will it sit atop PVC? Or, will you put it on a different material / mount? And, how high up will it be mounted? 

RogerDat

Greetings! It will be about 10 feet up, a yard light, mounted to PVC, but the PVC will be strapped to a C purlin  so it can be taken down for repair. Also not sure how long PVC will last. Hack job, left over parts. Will get it up tomorrow, underground feed.

Will post my 12 VDC system tomorrow.

• Like 3

Paul

Greetings! It will be about 10 feet up, a yard light, mounted to PVC, but the PVC will be strapped to a C purlin  so it can be taken down for repair. Also not sure how long PVC will last. Hack job, left over parts. Will get it up tomorrow, underground feed.

Is the globe completely sealed? Do you think the two lamps will generate too much heat inside it, if it doesn't have any ventilation? 

Woolf

Looks like you are using halogen bulbs

why not use LED bulbs, same amount of light

much less watt, and heat, a lot less drain on battery

• Like 1

Ozbrum

The orange PVC is not UV protected and will break down over time.... just paint it.... will last forever.

good idea, well done.

RogerDat

Looks like you are using halogen bulbs

why not use LED bulbs, same amount of light

much less watt, and heat, a lot less drain on battery

They are LED lights. OMNI 5W, 6500K, 340 lumins. Sockets are Halogen type.

Not air tight, LED minimal heat.

Edited by RogerDat

hilyfe

Cool idea

I am guessing the reason for that globe is to make it more brighter?

Or its only there for protection?

Paul

Or its only there for protection?

Weather protection, primarily. I'm sure it will help prevent damage to the lamps if a small limb, or other similar sized object, falls on it.

RogerDat

Slingshot shield. It is like that so lights shine down, and to sides to distribute light without an elaborate holder, Hack job that came out good for me. LED,s should not be viewed directly for long. 2 5 watt spots.

post-7667-0-18765000-1439291892_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

hilyfe

That looks great

Those led you used

Isnt that the small led light bulbs?

For the ceiling

Woolf
hilyfe

Yeah i think similar to that

angbumabasa

Would not live long here due to habagat continually damaging or destroying the fixtures. We face the Southwest Monsoons which give our beach and yard fixtures a life expendency of no more than six months, often less. The fixtures and their feed lines are a continual issue but wire is repairable and fixtures are cheap. So is labor at P150/fixture. But your 'light' is a neat solution otherwise.

RogerDat