VA rating changes. What to expect?

Bill H

In theory, all of your military (including medical) records are held at the repository for that purpose, which I think is in Missouri somewhere (knowing the government, right on the bank of the frequently flooding Mississippi!)  However, in the past when I've tried to get records from years ago they claim they can't be found, or what I'm looking for in the records does not exist.  Convenient me thinks when a VA claim hangs in the balance.  Although once the paranoia moment subsides it's probably just due to sheer incompetence.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NOSOCALPINOY

• RogerDat

• Salty Dog

• Jackr

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is my experience that the VA's job is to tell you NO right from the start. There are very stringent criteria for VA service connected ratings and it is not only a jungle to hack through but a fight

Yes expect that lump sum from the day you filed the claim.  My appeal took 10 years, yes TEN FREAKIN YEARS!  To raise a misdiagnosis from 10% to 30%.  The reason it takes so long is if the veteran die

60% is a huge jump. Most have to fight like hell to get just a 10% rating increase..   then there is the addition of spouse and children befit increase which is additional

RogerDat

Greetings! Long time ago a warehouse burned containing records, not sure whose, mine were not there.

You can order a CD from the VA of your records. Must go to Manila to register and do it.

NOSOCALPINOY

In theory, all of your military (including medical) records are held at the repository for that purpose, which I think is in Missouri somewhere (knowing the government, right on the bank of the frequently flooding Mississippi!)  However, in the past when I've tried to get records from years ago they claim they can't be found, or what I'm looking for in the records does not exist.  Convenient me thinks when a VA claim hangs in the balance.  Although once the paranoia moment subsides it's probably just due to sheer incompetence.

That has been my experience, that my records weren't even at the National Achieves in St. Louis, Mo., but I did find some on the E-benefits website https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/homepage. Now I have to start all over again to trace down the records I still need to complete my documents. Most VSOs know how to trace old records down and that's why I was asking if anyone on here know of any VSOs in Manila and or at the VFW in Angeles City, but I did have two VSOs from Angeles City I was corresponding with, but they just suddenly disappeared. Anyway, I know where to get their contact numbers or I still have their numbers on my old cellphone.

When I was on vacation in California recently, the VSOs I spoke with recommended I do all my paperwork in the Philippines since it's now my home of residence. All I get is the runaround from the VA in the U.S. and or from the other military websites and from all of their 1-800 toll free numbers, which is free using Skype from the Philippines!  

I can't submit my claim without the proper evidence of what I'm trying claim that I just found out that was added to the VA's list that wasn't there before and now it is, which I qualify for now, but not in the pass some 5 yrs ago.   

Edited by NOSOCALPINOY
  • Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

I can't submit my claim without the proper evidence of what I'm trying claim that I just found out that was added to the VA's list that wasn't there before and now it is, which I qualify for now, but not in the pass some 5 yrs ago.   

I'm not sure what you mean here.

Are you saying something you needed in the past is no longer required?

Or that what you were looking for is now showing up online, where before it wasn't.

NOSOCALPINOY

I'm not sure what you mean here.

Are you saying something you needed in the past is no longer required?

Or that what you were looking for is now showing up online, where before it wasn't.

What I need is my old military records from 40 yrs ago where I was stationed at and it's not even at the National Achives or E-Beneifit website!

All of my DD-214 doesn't even mention that particular base I was stationed at in Thailand for 18 months, but it may be in my old military medical records.

As to what is showing up, in 2009 the VA added other military bases and body of oceans that were affected by Agent Orange outside of Vietnam, but before 2009 they weren't on the list.

http://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/claims-postservice-questionnaire-claimherbicide.asp

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/benefits/index.asp

Edited by NOSOCALPINOY
RogerDat

Greetings! When I retired they gave me my records jackets as they had no use for them. I still have them, and all my TDY, and PCS orders.

Korat AB, and I think Ubon AB they used agent orange on the perimeter vegetation, so if you were in base CE, or the SP's, at the year it was applied, you can file. I was at both, but not right year, and don't have disease's listed. I was also at Hurlbert and Eglin where they were tested, AND worked on the spray planes at Hulbert. They have one of the C123k's I worked on at Mactan AB on display.

All the old planes at Davis Mothan were smelted to stop exposure, and claims from reserves who worked on them.

Edited by RogerDat
Headshot

I was also at Hurlbert and Eglin where they were tested, AND worked on the spray planes at Hulbert. They have one of the C123k's I worked on at Mactan AB on display.

I wonder if the PAF knows their display plane is contaminated with Agent Orange?

RogerDat

Not necessarily contaminated, some were washed, some had minimal use, I have been wanting to get inside, and see if I can smell it.