VA rating changes. What to expect?

RogerDat

The VA said my condition was not service connected last year, but had me fill out a 526EZ anyway.

I filed that about Jan this year. Went to VA in about May 2015 for evaluation, at first was denied, Doctor said could not justify and recommend connection based on proven condition list that VA uses, but as I was filling for my records copy, they called me back in and showed me a screen shot of the condition that linked my present complaint to my SC problem.

So that changed the whole situation, basically, I still have both legs, and their limited use, but if action is not taken, I may at some point  loose both!

As you can imagine, I am very happy, and thank God for His help! 

The VA does what they can, but if the condition is not linked, cannot help you. Its all computer controlled at every step due to past corruption. 

I stopped work in 2002 in US because I no longer could do my job ( building maintenance), I could not get down and work squatting or kneeling. I prepared to move to PI where my retired military pay would allow me to live. In 2004 I had 2 stints put in my heart ( VA paid) and 30 days later, I was here in Cebu.

I complained for several years about the pain, numbness, and weakness in my legs, to VA, and civilian doctors to no avail as to what was wrong. in about 2010, I wrote down my symptoms, and refined my list until I had a clear statement that I entered into GOOGLE. In 30 seconds, I had several hundred results, and the top 2 were PAD, peripheral artery disease. I informed my primary care doctor at VA of the PAD, they said yes, they knew what that was, and I needed these test to confirm. So I had the test done, and it was confirmed. They paid for 1 leg to be done, but by the time I recovered, the system had changed, and the testing of the other leg was deigned.

I did not use any outside help except as noted here. I have worked as a contractor for VA in US, and am familiar with all of the negative feelings about the VA, but have been treated well by them.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NOSOCALPINOY

• RogerDat

• Salty Dog

• cebubird

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is my experience that the VA's job is to tell you NO right from the start. There are very stringent criteria for VA service connected ratings and it is not only a jungle to hack through but a fight

Yes expect that lump sum from the day you filed the claim.  My appeal took 10 years, yes TEN FREAKIN YEARS!  To raise a misdiagnosis from 10% to 30%.  The reason it takes so long is if the veteran die

60% is a huge jump. Most have to fight like hell to get just a 10% rating increase..   then there is the addition of spouse and children befit increase which is additional

Rogerdat, go to www.hadit.com   it is a free website for veterans with a lot of veterans sharing their experiences ... It might give U some information that u can use...

good luck

• Like 1
SkyMan

Wrong!!

Well, that was informative.  How so?  Yes, you get paid a little more if you're married or have kids but in terms of benefits like free school, I don't think that occurs until you are 100%.

Enjoyed your post, and mostly think it was right on.

Think maybe your comment about PTS(STRESS) is sort of misguided tho', and not knocking you, as due to the media, I believe, this has somehow come to mean that ANYBODY diagnosed with this has to have been one who has been "blown away" as you said, and therefore they are the ONLY ones who suffer from STRESS 

as a result of what they did-or-where they were. There are MANY forms/types of STRESS related issues.

JMHO

I agree that here are many legit cases of PTSD and that you do not have to be Combat Traumatized to have it. I just think that many people use that as an excuse to make a claim. I have dreams all the time about my time in the Navy and they are not good pleasant liberty call dreams. They are always about some very stressful situation I am in. My wife tells me that is also PTSD. Maybe so, but I'm not going to try to make a claim about it. My personal opinion is that sometimes you just have to "Man Up" as they say, and live with some shit. You can't expect the VA or some other entity to try to take care or compensate you for every single discomfort in life. This is one of the things that bothers me about Life in the USA. It seems that everybody is some sort of victim of something and has an attitude that restitution must be made. This attitude of "I'm gonna get Mine" is so prevalent and I find it disgusting. I think this is one reason I like it in the Philippines because most people live very hard, difficult lives and yet find a way to deal with it with a smile. This of course is a generalization I know but its kind of refreshing in an odd way I suppose.

I always tell people here in the States that one reason I like the Philippines (and there are many other reasons) is that at least the corruption is "Up Front" and in your face and not cloaked in a bureaucratic hierarchy. IF there is a problem, a few Pesos' usually solves it quickly. I am just so tired of everyone whining about how bad they have it while they receive their checks. Thankfulness and gratitude seem to be virtues that are long gone.

• Administrator
Salty Dog
Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay (CRDP)

Concurrent Receipt means to receive both military retirement benefits and VA disability compensation, and up until 2004 this was forbidden by law. To receive a VA disability compensation, disabled military retirees had to waive all or part of their military pay. The following is a summary of Concurrent Receipt:

Qualified disabled military retirees will now get paid both their full military retirement pay and their VA disability compensation. This means that military retirees with 20 or more years of service and a 50% (or higher) VA rated disability will no longer have their military retirement pay reduced by the amount of their VA disability compensation.

To qualify for concurrent receipt you must:

Be a Military Retiree with 20 or more years of service, including:

Chapter 61 Medical Retirees with 20 years or more.

National Guard and Reserve with 20 or more good years. (Once they turn 60 and begin drawing a retirement check)

Temporary Early Retirement Authority (TERA) Retirees may also be eligible.

For example a single retiree with a VA Rated service-connected disability could receive their full retirement pay in addition to over $2,900 a month of tax free VA Disability Compensation. 

NOSOCALPINOY
Déjà vu? I mentioned that also in my thread, just minus the CRDP explanation, but more the merrier. (Post #11) 

This is in response to your inquiry to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) dated November 16, 2014.

Generally Veterans rated at 40 percent or less disabled will have their retirement benefits reduced by the amount of the disability benefits granted by the VA. Veterans rated 50 percent or higher may receive both their full retirement benefits and their full disability benefits.

You are not allowed to receive full military retired pay and full VA compensation at the same time. The following will provide an explanation of how this works:

• If your VA compensation is less than your retired pay, you will receive compensation payments. The military service department will pay you the difference between your compensation and your retired pay.

• If your VA compensation is greater than your retired pay, we will pay you compensation, and you will not receive retired pay.
Edited by NOSOCALPINOY
NOSOCALPINOY

Yes, that's the compensation but I'm talking about other benefits that 100% rated vets get.  I believe the spouses get free education and other things.

Some of the answers are here, it mentions veterans totally disabled; 

http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/resources/disability/veterans-disability/benefits-spouse-family.htm

How to Get Disabled Veteran Spouse Benefits
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

Yes, that's the compensation but I'm talking about other benefits that 100% rated vets get.  I believe the spouses get free education and other things.

I think she gets free medical.

Cebuandrew

Yes, I was at 30% for 18 years, then jumped to 100% 2 years ago. The difference in benefits is enormous. Spouse and kids get $1,000/month to go to college. In Oregon, tuition is even waived at most colleges. 75% medical is paid for them. But, to answer OP, like has been said, you will get a big direct deposit. But, now you have a "gamble" to make: Appeal and risk it being lowered, or raised or confirmed at 70%?? What jurisdiction is your claim in OP? Honestly, they can be so very different.

mpt1947

As far as I know there's no spouse benny unless you get to 100%

I believe that is 30% - I will double check though

NOSOCALPINOY

Does anyone on here know of any VSOs in Manila and or in Angeles City? Haven't looked yet on-line recently.

I need help in finding my old military medical records. Been trying for the past 6 months to no avail.  

It has been my experience that VSO's aren't very helpful. If you have a legitimate claim to make it will be evident and the genesis of it will be in your medical record ( you did make a copy before you got out right).  If so, you can gather you own evidence, download the DBQ's you need from the web and begin the process of seeing a doctor/s so that they can be filled out. After this your claim can be submitted yourself online and supporting documents uploaded. Be prepared for a long wait and possibly a fight. You will be called at some point to be examined by VA doctors who will examine you to put their opinion in on your case. Again, if your case is really legitimate and the supporting evidence is there you will be awarded the claim. If your claim is sketchy, with no real hard evidence to support it, you will be dissappointed and in for a long (sometimes years) battle. 

Just remember, it is the VA's job to say NO in my experience and from stories from other Vets if heard. At least the first time.

I am not sure how to obtain old records if you don't have a copy of them. This is where a VSO might help but you can probably find this info by searching the net yourself I would say.

Edited by Jackr
  • Like 1
NOSOCALPINOY

Does everyone on here keep personal records from 30 - 40 years ago? I went through the whole on-line routine. I found some of my records, but a lot them weren't readable. Still working on it though! I'm just looking for one piece of evidence back in the year of 1975 and if found, I can finally submit my claims to the VA, but without it, it'll be a no go. Yes, it's all about the facts and or evidence!    

• Administrator
Salty Dog

Does everyone on here keep personal records from 30 - 40 years ago? I went through the whole on-line routine. I found some of my records, but a lot them weren't readable. Still working on it though! I'm just looking for one piece of evidence back in the year of 1975 and if found, I can finally submit my claims to the VA, but without it, it'll be a no go. Yes, it's all about the facts and or evidence!

I've got all mine. But I was active duty for over 30 years where as its been over 30 years since you were active duty. When you got out in your young 20s it would be normal not to have considered being disabled 40 years in the future.