VA rating changes. What to expect?

RogerDat

Greetings! My VA rating went from 10% to 70%. What will change now?

Anyone with experience in this?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NOSOCALPINOY

• RogerDat

• Salty Dog

• Jackr

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is my experience that the VA's job is to tell you NO right from the start. There are very stringent criteria for VA service connected ratings and it is not only a jungle to hack through but a fight

Yes expect that lump sum from the day you filed the claim.  My appeal took 10 years, yes TEN FREAKIN YEARS!  To raise a misdiagnosis from 10% to 30%.  The reason it takes so long is if the veteran die

60% is a huge jump. Most have to fight like hell to get just a 10% rating increase..   then there is the addition of spouse and children befit increase which is additional

cebubird

Are you serious?

JamesMusslewhite

60% is a huge jump. Most have to fight like hell to get just a 10% rating increase..

claimtable-001.jpg

then there is the addition of spouse and children befit increase which is additional

• Like 1
RogerDat

Thanks. Praying is more effective.

I still have a pending claim. I am retired military. What spouse benefit?

• Like 1
SkyMan

Thanks. Praying is more effective.

I still have a pending claim. I am retired military. What spouse benefit?

As far as I know there's no spouse benny unless you get to 100%

At 50 percent and above U get all of your medical  and prescriptions  free. They will charge your insurance but you will not have to pay any co payments. (note , this is within the USA )

and thank you for your service...

Edited by tim
Bill H

Congratulations, you will soon get a large deposit to your bank account.  They start paying when you filed your claim, so if it took them a year to process your claim, you'll get a years worth of payments in one lump sum!  Nice.  Folks who were in the very long line can get several years worth of payments at one time, which is really nice. Touch base with the local VSO who can give you the specifics.

Welcome to the club, if you feel your injuries rate more than 70% certainly do appeal.  That seems to be the name of the game at the VA. 

If you have children under the age of 18 or still in college, be sure the VA has their birth certificates because you will receive increased benefits for them.

Edited by Bill H

Congratulations, you will soon get a large deposit to your bank account.  They start paying when you filed your claim, so if it took them a year to process your claim, you'll get a years worth of payments in one lump sum!  Nice.  Folks who were in the very long line can get several years worth of payments at one time, which is really nice. Touch base with the local VSO who can give you the specifics.

and that monies is tax free... u do not have to claim it on taxes , etc ....

cebubird

As far as I know there's no spouse benny unless you get to 100%

Wrong!!

Jester

Yes expect that lump sum from the day you filed the claim.  My appeal took 10 years, yes TEN FREAKIN YEARS!  To raise a misdiagnosis from 10% to 30%.  The reason it takes so long is if the veteran dies, the claim dies with them.   Isn't that great if you croak during a claim process your family gets nothing, zilch, zero.  Your elected officials benefits are slightly different.

The rep was saying how great it was I was going to get a 10 year lump sum payment.  What about the 20% they screwed me out of for 25 years?   

Very little spouse benefit at this level, slightly more money for wife and or kids.                     Jester

Edited by Jester
  • Like 2
NOSOCALPINOY

I knew a guy from another forum who had an 80% VA rating and he just wanted to update and hopefully increase his rating, but it backfired on him, because VA instead of adjusting his rating to a higher level, they downgraded some of his claims. 

I still have my 20% VA rating, but I have yet to find all the records I need to submit my claim, been a few years now to no avail in finding my old military medical records from 30 - 40 yrs ago.

My 20% rating is actually being deducted from my military pension tax exempt and not coming directly from the VA, but only if my rating is 50% or over, then the payment would directly come from the VA and my military pension would stay fully intact. So until I find all of my old military medical records, I'm in Limbo for now. I did everything to trace down my records via all of the government websites to no avail and a lot of runaround, but I'm still trying.

I also emailed the VA and here's their reply to my question:

Dept of Veterans Affairs  Dec 17, 2014 

To VA concerning Waiver of VA pay from your military pension.   Discussion Thread

Response via Email (Department of Veterans Affairs)
12/16/2014 

This is in response to your inquiry to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) dated November 16, 2014.

Generally Veterans rated at 40 percent or less disabled will have their retirement benefits reduced by the amount of the disability benefits granted by the VA. Veterans rated 50 percent or higher may receive both their full retirement benefits and their full disability benefits.

You are not allowed to receive full military retired pay and full VA compensation at the same time. The following will provide an explanation of how this works:

• If your VA compensation is less than your retired pay, you will receive compensation payments. The military service department will pay you the difference between your compensation and your retired pay.

• If your VA compensation is greater than your retired pay, we will pay you compensation, and you will not receive retired pay.

By working together with the military service department, we will make sure you get your full combined payment.

We took the initiative of providing you with a contact phone number for the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS). They will be in a better position to answer your questions regarding retirement pay.

Customer Service Number:1-800-321-1080

The hyperlink, http://www.dfas.mil, has also been added for your convenience.

Thank you for contacting us. If you have questions or need additional help with the information in our reply, please respond to this message or see our other contact information below.

Sincerely yours, 

C. Boyd
National IRIS Response Center Manager
jnb

If you have additional evidence to submit to support your claim, please mail or fax your evidence to the applicable CMP location below. Please be sure to put your name and claim number or social security number on every page of documentation you mail or fax to VA and keep a copy of everything for your records.

By fax: (ten pages or less)
Toll Free: (844) 822-5246
Local: (608) 373-6690

Please note: packages containing more than ten pages of documents must be submitted by mail.

When submitting all claims:
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs 
Claims Intake Center
PO Box 5235
Janesville, WI 53547

When submitting evidence or anything other than a claim:
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
Evidence Intake Center
PO Box 4444
Janesville, WI 53547

Please note: You may still submit claims and upload documents or evidence online at: www.ebenefits.va.gov.
Edited by NOSOCALPINOY
NOSOCALPINOY

SkyMan, on 29 Jul 2015 - 6:32 PM, said: As far as I know there's no spouse benny unless you get to 100%

Wrong!!

It's just over a yr old, but here it is: http://www.benefits.va.gov/COMPENSATION/resources_comp01.asp

Bill H

I had no idea they reduced your retirement pay to collect disability pay, that sucks far more than big time.  Why should the two be linked?  If only members of congress received the equivalent of what disabled vets receive, things would be very different for sure.

It is my experience that the VA's job is to tell you NO right from the start. There are very stringent criteria for VA service connected ratings and it is not only a jungle to hack through but a fight to get what you deserve. That said, it is probably difficult in part because of the mass quantities of fraud and abuse just like the SS system. I personally know people are involved in outright fraud and who have coached me to try to do the same. This makes me very angry. There are plenty of legitimate service members who deserve disability but more that do not but just clog up the system always fighting to reach that magical number to get paid. This is disgusting (IN MY HUMBLE OPINION).

This is not to excuse the VA for their many shortcomings and the way the "Drag Their Feet" on claims. This too is a travesty, however it is what it is. If you have a LEGITIMATE claim and you keep after them you will prevail.

For years the Vietnam vets fought an uphill battle for illnesses claimed to be from Agent Orange. Now its almost automatic if you can prove you were anywhere in Vietnam. Today the new buzzword is PTSD and your in. If you are "legit" then so be it and Amen, but if you are just trying to ride the gravy train, and you know who you are, I say shame on you. Be thankful you were not blown apart from an IED or horribly maimed some other way.

Just saying.  

• Like 5
cebubird

It is my experience that the VA's job is to tell you NO right from the start. There are very stringent criteria for VA service connected ratings and it is not only a jungle to hack through but a fight to get what you deserve. That said, it is probably difficult in part because of the mass quantities of fraud and abuse just like the SS system. I personally know people are involved in outright fraud and who have coached me to try to do the same. This makes me very angry. There are plenty of legitimate service members who deserve disability but more that do not but just clog up the system always fighting to reach that magical number to get paid. This is disgusting (IN MY HUMBLE OPINION).

This is not to excuse the VA for their many shortcomings and the way the "Drag Their Feet" on claims. This too is a travesty, however it is what it is. If you have a LEGITIMATE claim and you keep after them you will prevail.

For years the Vietnam vets fought an uphill battle for illnesses claimed to be from Agent Orange. Now its almost automatic if you can prove you were anywhere in Vietnam. Today the new buzzword is PTSD and your in. If you are "legit" then so be it and Amen, but if you are just trying to ride the gravy train, and you know who you are, I say shame on you. Be thankful you were not blown apart from an IED or horribly maimed some other way.

Just saying.  

Enjoyed your post, and mostly think it was right on.

Think maybe your comment about PTS(STRESS) is sort of misguided tho', and not knocking you, as due to the media, I believe, this has somehow come to mean that ANYBODY diagnosed with this has to have been one who has been "blown away" as you said, and therefore they are the ONLY ones who suffer from STRESS 

as a result of what they did-or-where they were. There are MANY forms/types of STRESS related issues.

JMHO