Sign in to follow this  
toshi

Kill the Ants, Borax Anyone?

musingloudly

get a few of them and dislocate a leg or two.. just do enough damage without killing the ants .. The ants should be able to go back to the hive and report back how scary it is to mess with you.. they should pack up and leave.. or file a complaint... 

Seriously.. I've used diatomaceous earth with much success. I found a local source from OLX and paid 400 I think for a kilo. The bad thing is that water is going to wash it away and will leave it ineffective. I have had issues with ants going through our front door. Haven't had them back since.. as long as I have the stuff on the door.. Ive also put them on anthills and they are gone in a few days. As to whether they die or not isn't clear. 

hyaku

get a few of them and dislocate a leg or two.. just do enough damage without killing the ants .. The ants should be able to go back to the hive and report back how scary it is to mess with you.. they should pack up and leave.. or file a complaint... 

Seriously.. I've used diatomaceous earth with much success. I found a local source from OLX and paid 400 I think for a kilo. The bad thing is that water is going to wash it away and will leave it ineffective. I have had issues with ants going through our front door. Haven't had them back since.. as long as I have the stuff on the door.. Ive also put them on anthills and they are gone in a few days. As to whether they die or not isn't clear. 

Here's what you are up against. 

• Like 2

fred42

do u have rank or a simple private?,,,,,,,,,, :yahoo:

Ours have a flying division..They lay their eggs under just about every leaf on all our Talisay trees..Hatch and join divisions in their millions.. Borax made no difference and I have mixed up Kilo`s of the stuff over 7 years..

This year for some reason they have just disappeared..Gone Kaput!

They will be back,of that I have no doubt. 

thebob

What you need is a pangolin.

220px-Pangolin_borneo.jpg

Ed1961

My realitives here would eat it

• Like 2

hyaku

borax powder is in benny's pawnshop next to and under Our Place bar,,80 a KG,,i got yesterday

Went to the shop under Our Place Colon (Bennys) on Monday. Half kilo of borax P40. Mixed one tbsp sugar with a teaspoon of borax and a little hot water. Couple of drops on a counter and it was party time. Ants took it back to the nest for fiesta and not one in sight today. Same as Terro but for P40 I have enough to go into production.

RogerDat

hyaku, is that Colon Cebu? do they have parking in the area?

hyaku

hyaku, is that Colon Cebu? do they have parking in the area?

Not really Roger, Our Place is on a corner. On the surrounding main roads you cant even stop. Taxi dropped me at the lights. It's just over the road from Cebu View.

Gus

There is a parking area right behind Our Place but for some reason has been closed recently .Theres a new public parking area right on Colon St , just before Palaez St cnr, and still only a city block walk to Sangiako / Palaez cnr where Our Place is.

Headshot

I just went down to Benny's Pawnshop directly below Our Place at the intersection of Sanciangko and Palaez in Colon to buy some borax powder. The funny thing is that the lady running the shop had no idea that borax could be used to kill ants. In the jewelery business, borax is used to purify gold. I mixed up a batch of solution, and the ants are happily slurping it up now. Here is the recipe I used for my solution, and the ants seem to like it fine.

Getting rid of ants with borax

When ants show up in your home, often your first reaction may be to grab the phone and call the exterminator.  Don’t. This three ingredient solution was the cheapest method, using only items that I happened to have at home.

Supplies Needed

• 1/2 cup of sugar

• 1 1/2 tablespoons Borax

• 1 1/2 cups warm water

• Cotton balls or paper towel

Instructions

1. Mix the Borax and sugar together until well combined.

2. Add the mixture to your warm water and mix constantly until the powder has been completely dissolved.

3. Seal the mixture in a jar or container for future use, and use only what you need in the next steps (and save the rest).  It is important that you clearly label the jar, as it will just look like water.  Do not leave this where children can get to it.  (Because this is such an easy solution to make, however, I only kept what I made until after the ants had been gone for a week or more.)

4. Fill some jar lids, milk caps, or other shallow containers with cotton balls or a wad of paper towel.

5. Add the sugar-Borax solution to the prepared lids making sure to soak the cotton balls (or paper towel).

6. Wait.  It may take the ants a while to find the solution.  But, once they do, let them feast (and take the solution back to their home).  At our house, to speed up the finding process, I placed a couple of the soaked cotton balls directly on the ledge in my kitchen where most of the ants were.

Be prepared – more ants will probably show up once they find the solution.  However, within a day, you’ll probably see much fewer ants.  Over the course of just a few days, all of the ants should likely be gone.  Because we had watched the ants quite a bit, we noticed where they were coming from and made sure to use a sealant to seal the area to stop them from coming back in the future.

What other solutions have you taken to solve an insect problem in your home?

http://thehappyhousewife.com/home-management/how-to-get-rid-of-ants-with-three-ingredients/

If you notice, the recipe calls for borax...NOT boric acid...so I guess borax works on ants. I'll let everybody know in a couple of days how it works out. I just put it out in a few places where I have ant trails. If I notice a reduction in ants, I will put it out in several more spots on my property. I have a few fire ant colonies that I need to get rid of.

BTW, there IS pay parking on Sanciangko Street on the left side of the street before you get to Pelaez. Once you pass Pelaez, there is no parking. If you are coming from the south on Rosario, you turn on P. del Rosario, then turn right on Sanciangko. Look immediately on the left for available parking spots. If you are coming forom the north, you need to turn right by the YASCO sign, and take that street to Colon Street. Turn right on Colon and drive to Jakosalem, where you will turn left (one way). The first street you get to on the left will be Sanciangko (also one way). Once on Sanciangko, look for parking in the first block unless you are feeling lucky enough to find a parking spot in the block just before Pelaez. There are a lot of one way streets in that area, so if you miss a turn, you might be driving around a bit before you can get back on track.

Edited by Headshot

Jeepney

I just went down to Benny's Pawnshop directly below Our Place at the intersection of Sanciangko and Palaez in Colon to buy some borax powder. The funny thing is that the lady running the shop had no idea that borax could be used to kill ants. In the jewelery business, borax is used to purify gold. I mixed up a batch of solution, and the ants are happily slurping it up now. Here is the recipe I used for my solution, and the ants seem to like it fine.

If you notice, the recipe calls for borax...NOT boric acid...so I guess borax works on ants. I'll let everybody know in a couple of days how it works out. I just put it out in a few places where I have ant trails. If I notice a reduction in ants, I will put it out in several more spots on my property. I have a few fire ant colonies that I need to get rid of.

Works fine, just killed a few million over the past weeks!

Can take a few days to get rid of all, I mixed it up to a litre, keep it in a waterbottle,

the borax should not be more as 4/5% in the mixture.

I just put few drops straight on floor, or even outside, some repeats are necesary, but after a week orso,,, yes results..

samatm

Every time someone runs the "where can if find Borax?"  post  my mind always goes to the 70's 80's   detergent  jingle for FAB.    OH FAB !   I'M Glad,  there's Lemon Fresh Borax in YOU! ....     

I find fluxing Borax at nearly any hardware store.        it works mixed with sugar... also works just spread around ant trails areas..    its not as good as powdered boric acid...but it does work.  

• Like 1

Jeepney

I find fluxing Borax at nearly any hardware store.        it works mixed with sugar... also works just spread around ant trails areas..    its not as good as powdered boric acid...but it does work.

Yeah, I get my powdered borax also just in a hardware store....powder welding flux,

buy it by the spoon, or whole can.

Headshot

I pinned this thread, so hopefully, people will find it when they are looking for borax. Benny's Pawn was easy to locate, and easy to get to. They sell borax powder by the kilo (or portion thereof). BTW, before I saw Benny's mentioned, I tried quite a few different agrivet stores (independent and chain stores) because somebody said they carry borax. They not only DON'T carry it...they have no idea what it is. I have also tried several hardware stores, and have not found it at any of them either. I guess some other members must be shopping at different stores than I frequent (Wilcon, City Hardware, Home Builders, Ace, True Value), because none of them carried it (or even flux).