Sign in to follow this  
toshi

Kill the Ants, Borax Anyone?

toshi

HI, 

I'm going to kill some ants this week and i need BORAX, any one knows where to get this?

thanks,

calasiaobound

Can't help you with the borax. But I doubt it'd be a long-term solution. Too many of them here.

woodchopper

boiling water down the hole kills a lot

SumDumJoe

I use borax mixed with sugar and water stirred into a paste. It seems to work, but then other ants just move into the area with in a few days. 

Borax is sold in most of the grocery stores and even sari sari stores here in Bohol. 

Woolf

To do a search, press the cogwheel, to the right of the search,  at top right every page

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 1

Woolf

What you need is boric acid  also called hydrogen borate,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boric_acid

Insecticidal

Boric acid was first registered in the US as an insecticide in 1948 for control of cockroaches, termites, fire ants, fleas, silverfish, and many other insects. The product is generally considered to be safe to use in household kitchens to control cockroaches and ants.[24] It acts as a stomach poison affecting the insects' metabolism, and the dry powder is abrasive to the insects' exoskeletons.

Borax is something else:  Borax, also known as sodium borate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borax

Edited by Woolf

JohnSurrey

What you need is boric acid  also called hydrogen borate,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boric_acid

Borax is something else:  Borax, also known as sodium borate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borax

We have too many insects - In the UK I think they put down like a plastic membrane before they lay the concrete...

Anyway - is boric acid freely available here?

We can get borax but as others say - within a short time another lot have moved in - in fact I never knew there were so many different kinds of ants - if you drop rice you get the brown (red) ones pop out and if you drop something else you get the black ones ... etc etc ...big ones, small ones, medium size ones... when I first moved in here about a year ago it was doing my head in - I'm now a lot more tolerant - some days I wonder where they've gone!

• Like 2

Semanon

I'm going to kill some ants this week and i need BORAX, any one knows where to get this?

Had a hard time finding Borax in Cebu as I wanted to mix my own solution with water and sugar. Instead I found it pre-mixed at either Ace or True Value hardware (can't recall which); it's called "Terro Liquid Ant Bait". Small bottle in an orange and white box, cost about 200p if I remember correctly.

I put a just few drops around my condo and within a day or three those tiny sugar ants were gone. Thereafter I reapplied it about once a month, never seen an ant in condo again.

• Like 1

woodchopper

borax powder is in benny's pawnshop next to and under Our Place bar,,80 a KG,,i got yesterday

• Like 1

arentol

Tru-Value had a good variety of boric acid, but I bought it last year... not sure of supplies now.

Had absolutely no luck with it, by the way. Halting the ants is like stopping ocean waves with your hands. We live in a nature setting in Busay and there's just too many of them. May be more effective in an urban setting like a condo.

Aren

• Like 2

KennyF

Had absolutely no luck with it, by the way. Halting the ants is like stopping ocean waves with your hands. We live in a nature setting in Busay and there's just too many of them. May be more effective in an urban setting like a condo.

Aren, the liquid baits are the way to go.

Ants won't infest "en mass" unless there is food to be got.

So if the only food is baits, put outside, with not a free crumb of bread to be had inside, they will soon take the bait back to the nest and feed it to everyone including the queen.

I use the lids of those block type washing up soap, pouring about a teaspoon in each.

An upside down saucer works well too.

These are washed and re baited every day.

3 or 4 days, no more ants.

For what it's worth, here's my last brew.

1 coffee cup water.
1 coffee cup white sugar.
1 shot glass borax (3 rounded table spoons)
Heated together to dissolve

We live on a very large piece of land on Ant island (Camiguin) and we manage to keep them in check.

KonC

• Like 1

Ed1961

any address for "our place" bar?

arentol

Aren, the liquid baits are the way to go. Ants won't infest "en mass" unless there is food to be got. So if the only food is baits, put outside, with not a free crumb of bread to be had inside, they will soon take the bait back to the nest and feed it to everyone including the queen.   I use the lids of those block type washing up soap, pouring about a teaspoon in each. An upside down saucer works well too. These are washed and re baited every day. 3 or 4 days, no more ants.   For what it's worth, here's my last brew. 1 coffee cup water. 1 coffee cup white sugar. 1 shot glass borax (3 rounded table spoons) Heated together to dissolve   We live on a very large piece of land on Ant island (Camiguin) and we manage to keep them in check.   KonC

Thanks Kenny, I'll give it a go!

Do you deal with ants coming into your home to eat other bugs? We have so many bugs here of all varieties. During the beginning of the rainy season (i.e., right now), there are millions of flying bugs that hatch after the rains -- they only live a few hours. They're attracted to light, so we turn off all the lights in the house. Some of them invariably get inside and die. Not all of their little bodies can be found, which makes food for the ants.

In any case, will give your recommendation a try! Thanks again.

Aren