Sign in to follow this  
fred42

Is it really more fun in the Philippines?

Enuff

Thailand is LOS. Philippines is LOA.

Inquiring minds want to know?

I just wonder, if you think so highly of all the above, why are you here?

That Masked Man

Malaysia 25.7 million tourist arrivals

Thailand 24.8 million 

Philippines 4.8 million

I kind of get Thailand, at least before the recent instability, but what is there to see in Malaysia? Plus Malaysia is a much wealthier country than the rest of SE Asia, aside from Brunei and Singapore. From what I can tell, a majority of tourists in Malaysia are from Singapore, benefitting from its proximity, and nearly all the rest are from either other ASEAN countries or China. Take away just Singapore and China (which the Philippines simply can't compete for) and Malaysia has less than 10 million tourists. As for visitors from developed countries, the Philippines holds its own

USA                       Japan                    SK                           Aus                        UK

Phil         722,750               463,744            1,175,472             224,784                133,655

Thai        763,520               127,886            1,122,566             831,854                907,877

Malay     262,106               553,106               385,769             571,328                445,789

churches dont make for great tourists attractions. Ever been to the aquarium in manila? I have just this year and what a letdown.

Never been to the aquarium. The churches are nice, but the ones in Europe and the more western parts of Asia are nicer and older for that matter. IMHO most of the tourist attractions (aside from the women) are natural - beaches, mountains, etc. I suppose t

I personally prefer the Philippines to Thailand. But then I am not most people. Most people clearly do not. The figures speak for themselves.

Weather : in the key northern hemisphere months of November to February, it is almost guaranteed not to rain in Thailand at all. Not once. But in the Philippines, it can rain any day. And that's without considering that the Philippines has potentially fatal adverse weather like typhoons, as well as the possibility of a megra-thrust earthquake ripping through Manila or elsewhere at any moment, killing tens of thousands. Which won't happen, in Thailand.

I do too. I was fortunate that it only rained twice in the 23 days when I visited the Philippines in November/December. OTOH that is the dry season and the time of year when the Philippines has it's best weather. Typhoons are very unlikely that time of year. (A couple of months earlier they are pretty common.) And earthquakes are always a risk. I don't think that is what keeps people away though. People still go to Florida and the Caribbean despite hurricanes, and to California despite both hurricanes and earthquakes (and mudslides, and wildfires, etc.)

Edited by That Masked Man

Baywak

if you are a pretty good hustler and want to learn how to become not just a good one, but a brilliant one, go to Vietnam.

Ridicules limited mentality

Baywak

No thanks.

You were in Thailand during the war-am I right? While many of us that were there gladly returned.A close friend who took two ak rounds

through him and me........have returned several times.

Edited by Baywak

sugbu777

Yeah...but you have a Wal-Mart and a Home Depot. How are the Philippines supposed to compete with that?   :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

No Wal-Mart...yet. :idontknow:;)

sugbu777

You shop there.

Wow, you must be really rich.

it's not a crime to be rich.

sugbu777

If the Philippines had Wal-Mart stores everywhere, would more senior citizens be hired?

There is such a thing called "age discrimination" in the Philippines, 20 to 30 yrs of age and above! :idontknow:

http://www.rappler.com/nation/91819-stop-age-discrimination-workplace-pia-cayetano

Not a chance.  You hit it right on the head, employers in the Philippines are not keen on hiring folks that are around 26 or older.

sugbu777

And half of those were the old farts from the PI's going for medical care or WalMart.   Jester

Negative. Very few from the Philippines. Japan, Korea, China make up the majority. Lot's of weddings here by Japanese. Lot's of golf tours too. When it's Golden Week in Japan, Guam is flooded with Japanese tourists.

Ozbrum

"It's More Fun In Vietnam".

WHY ?

miles-high

No Wal-Mart...yet.

"The world largest K-Mart" !!!

• Like 1

sugbu777

"The world largest K-Mart" !!!

Yep., and its not just full of locals. Lots of tourists shopping in there. I suspect that the Guam K-Mart being open 24 hrs helps with the tourist shoppers. I have been in there in the early a.m. and seen lots of tourists in there shopping.

Edited by sugbu777

thebob

I have seen a few young all white families (European) in the Cebu: Shangrila Mactan, Moalboal, and Malapascua, but they are rare.

There has been a large upswing of traveling families going to Moalboal. As the continued "resortification" progresses you might not notice them though. Resort dwellers seem to mainly stick to the resort that they have paid for.

At one point there was a shooting war between developers in Moalboal squabbling over land rights.

A few shots were fired, many years ago. I think that the English language press is one of the problems with trying to promote the Philippines. In most competing countries the problems are veiled behind language barriers.

• Like 2

Enuff

I haven't been to Bohol in a couple years but when we were there it was packed with families. Alona Beach in particular is always loaded with families.

JohnD

I haven't been to Bohol in a couple years but when we were there it was packed with families. Alona Beach in particular is always loaded with families.

I was there a year ago and they still had not recovered from the earthquake in terms of tourists. There are many expats on Bohol trying though.

• Like 1

contraman

Spent a week in Moal Boal last April and was surprised just how many expats we saw there.