Sign in to follow this  
fred42

Is it really more fun in the Philippines?

angbumabasa

I thought they had girly bars there, did you ever watch Hawaii 5 0?

What's a "girly bar"?

• Like 1

ozboy

Ever been to the aquarium in manila? I have just this year and what a letdown.

Well best you do not visit Cebu Zoo......that place should be closed down....

• Like 3

Irenicus

There are 5 Vuitton stores (Guam has 2), however, as compared to only 1 in the entire Philippines…

You shop there.

Wow, you must be really rich.

• Like 1

ozboy

It all started in Switzerland. Then it spread to the Philippines. And now it has come full circle back to Switzerland! At least that's what most people (except Filipino tourist representatives) would agree on. 

More-Fun-in-Switzerland-Original.jpgWe are talking about the slogan "It's More Fun in Switzerland". Back in 1951, Swtzerland tourism coined this phrase, which was picked up by Filipino tourism in 2012.

I would have taken it as a compliment, but apparently there is some heated debateabout its origin online.

We thought it was about time for some Swiss humor and a relaunch of this campaign, so here it goes:

http://www.newlyswissed.com/fun-in-switzerland/

Edited by ozboy
  • Like 2

Alan S

Just after Pinatubo I was one of  a team doing the planning etc for a new Philippine airport, based at Clark, and with a new high speed rail link to Manila and NAIA.

The basic plan was to copy the new HK airport.  ( many of the same design team were involved.)

Finance was pre-arranged with the EU and various other countries.

The idea was that it would be a new area-hub airport, so lots of infrastructure was included.

Anyone want to guess what killed it?

Yep, corruption.

Too many people saw it as a way to make their fortunes.

Now, ,HK gets some 60+ million people a year through there and hence generates lots of $$$$.

And the Philippines gets... how many?

• Like 2

Raptor

There are 5 Vuitton stores (Guam has 2), however, as compared to only 1 in the entire Philippines…

Philippines has more "Class A" Vuitton stores than USA and Europe combined.

bkkmarlowe

, did you ever watch Hawaii 5 0?

Yes mate... the original series starring Jack Lord... well written scripts and great entertainment...

miles-high

Philippines has more "Class A" Vuitton stores than USA and Europe combined.

What are you talking about, perhaps you have an insider information? Their “official” web site, including their 2014 annual report do not make any reference to “Class A” store nor do they list more than one (1) Vuitton store in the Philippines… Please enlighten me...

http://us.louisvuitton.com/eng-us/stores

http://www.annualreportowl.com/Louis%20Vuitton/Annual%20Reports

When you compare their “pricing” (using different exchange rates to adjust local prices) in their US stores, the Philippine store, Japanese and Paris stores, it seems obvious that their Philippine store tries to cater to the wealthy Filipino customers, not the tourists. In fact, I have seldom seen any tourists there… Therefore, it seems the tourists do not visit the Philippines for shopping...

I have bought many items for Mrs. , many more than shown in the pic from their US, Japan, Philippine and Paris stores and have rather through pricing information adjusted by then prevailing exchange rates. At the moment (they don’t change prices too often), things are less expensive in Japan, followed by Paris then US. Filipino prices more expensive but I guess it depends which currency you own most…

1.jpg

Raptor

Please enlighten me...

"Class A" is code for high-quality counterfeit :db:

• Like 5

colemanlee

"Class A" is code for high-quality counterfeit :db:

There are some extremely high-quality counterfeits here....there is of course some junk also....having seen some of the class A stuff my wife has bought I could not tell the difference...though admittedly didnt have the real stuff to compare side by side...

• Like 1

montserrat

nobody wants to go. The weather's shit, )even deadly) the food is bad (although not quite as deadly) and the tourist infrastructure is terrible - they have made almost no attempt to improve it. The price of accommodation is expensive compared to their competitors, and the service is hit and miss. But mostly miss.

the Philippines got itself a bad reputation in the tourist industry years ago and it has not even begun to shed it. Travel agents don't want to sell 'normal' customers like families with children tours to the Philippines. They have had too many complaints. If two adults with two children walked into a travel agency in the west saying they were thinking about going to the Philippines on their next vacation, the travel agent would try to talk them into going to Thailand.

• Like 6

Enuff

nobody wants to go. The weather's shit, )even deadly) the food is bad (although not quite as deadly) and the tourist infrastructure is terrible - they have made almost no attempt to improve it. The price of accommodation is expensive compared to their competitors, and the service is hit and miss. But mostly miss.

are you talking about the Philippines?

montserrat

are you talking about the Philippines?

Yes. Ever heard of that place? I say that, because there's a lot of people that have never even heard of it - much less considered it as a place to take a vacation. There are reasons why it gets less than 20% of the amount of tourist arrivals Thailand gets. The people that stay away, aren't stupid.

• Like 1

Enuff

obviously someone wants to come here

are you Filipino? live here full time? can you not leave and go somewhere you like?

its easy, I can send you links to many websites that offer travel .............. 1 way travel

The weather's shit - just your opinion, many people enjoy the warm weather

the food is bad - I love the food as do many others

the tourist infrastructure is terrible - I haven't had many issue doing touristy stuff. Bohol is rather accommodating

The price of accommodation is expensive - I have stayed at many hotels find most of them to have great service at a reasonable cost

granted I'm not a picky bitch who goes to other countries and demands everything be up to or above my standards

• Like 3

Raptor

There are reasons why it gets less than 20% of the amount of tourist arrivals Thailand gets.

True, but you haven't mentioned any valid ones.