Sign in to follow this  
fred42

Is it really more fun in the Philippines?

fred42

Malaysia 25.7 million tourist arrivals
Thailand 24.8 million 
Philippines 4.8 million

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines) — President Benigno S. Aquino III, in his State of the Nation address three years ago, announced an ambitious plan for the country's tourism industry. 

"Sa dinami-dami ng magagandang tanawin sa ating bansa, hindi naman siguro suntok sa buwan kung mangarap tayong pagdating ng 2016, sampung milyong turista na ang bibisita sa Pilipinas kada taon," he said in his 2012 address.

The tourism department aggressively pushed for a marketing campaign to attract tourists, with the slogan “It's more fun in the Philippines.”

The campaign went viral, and social media platforms were abuzz with funny memes.

It was hailed as one of the world's smartest marketing campaigns, receiving dozens of international citations.

"It hit a psyche in the international travel community that now Thailand is following, right? It's not anymore Truly Asia or what, it's more human capital that they're concentrating on, what makes us unique," said Rosanna Tuason-Fores, President of the Tourism Congress of the Philippines.

Annual international tourist arrivals have been steadily rising, from 3.5 million in 2010, to a record-high 4.8 million in 2014, according to the Department of Tourism (DOT).

The DOT said that the campaign may have drawn more tourists.

This achievement is unmatched by previous administrations. But latest figures show the Aquino government is far from achieving the tourist arrival target.

The country's numbers are unimpressive compared to its Southeast Asian neighbors, according to tourism ministries in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations.

Last year, Malaysia had 25.7 million tourist arrivals, while Thailand welcomed 24.8 million visitors. Those numbers are far greater than the 4.8 million tourist arrivals for the Philippines.

For every tourist going to the Philippines, about five others choose Malaysia or Thailand.

The tourism department said that it's still more expensive to go the Philippines, from airfare costs to hotel rates.

"Unlike most other countries in Southeast Asia, we don't enjoy the luxury of cross-border land travel. It's not as if somebody can just hop on a car, cross the border, and then you count the number of tourists," said DOT Usec. for Tourism Development Benito Bengzon.

Travel bans also drive away tourists — with China issuing bans because of the dispute in the West Philippine Sea and western countries warning tourists against heading out to the conflict-torn south.

http://cnnphilippines.com/news/2015/07/27/sona-2015-benigno-aquino-is-it-more-fun-in-the-philippines.html

Edited by fred42
  • Like 1

woodchopper

hehe,,if malaysia's new airport terminal etc keeps sinking/subsiding,,as reported,,things might change?

sugbu777
4.8 million tourist arrivals for the Philippines.

That's pretty pathetic. Heck, we got 1.3 million on Guam last year and comprise only 212 sq miles of land area.

https://www.guamvisitorsbureau.com/news/news-releases/2014-visitor-arrivals-at-1-3-million

Edited by sugbu777
  • Like 1

sugbu777

remove the old farts looking for true love and your down to 2 million real tourist

I would venture to say that you are probably correct in this assumption

Michele G

For sure it is. Many people from different countries are having their summer mostly here in Philippines. Aside of having natural attractions, people are very hospitable in a sense that they make sure tourists should really enjoy their stay. 

throttleplate

churches dont make for great tourists attractions. Ever been to the aquarium in manila? I have just this year and what a letdown.

• Like 2

Jester

I have an elderly acquaintance who is a runner. Pretty impressive, 70 years old and running marathons.   He and his wife go on cruises, when they get to port he goes for a run then back for a shower and takes the wife into town.

He told me in the PI's he went for a run, went back to the ship and told his wife they were staying on the ship!   Not bashing, just parroting what was told me.  Jester

• Like 3

NOSOCALPINOY

"More fun in the Philippines"? At the time, it was just the Department of Tourism's wishful thinking!

They should of done more to make it a reality insteading of making tourists pay more! :idontknow:

• Like 3

Headshot

That's pretty pathetic. Heck, we got 1.3 million on Guam last year and comprise only 212 sq miles of land area.

https://www.guamvisitorsbureau.com/news/news-releases/2014-visitor-arrivals-at-1-3-million

Yeah...but you have a Wal-Mart and a Home Depot. How are the Philippines supposed to compete with that?   :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

NOSOCALPINOY

Yeah...but you have a Wal-Mart and a Home Depot. How are the Philippines supposed to compete with that?   :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

If the Philippines had Wal-Mart stores everywhere, would more senior citizens be hired?

There is such a thing called "age discrimination" in the Philippines, 20 to 30 yrs of age and above! :idontknow:

http://www.rappler.com/nation/91819-stop-age-discrimination-workplace-pia-cayetano

miles-high

Hawaii, too, it’s probably much smaller than the Philippines but about 11.3million visitors last year, I think… yet, there are no girls bars in Hawaii, as far as I know…

There are 5 Vuitton stores (Guam has 2), however, as compared to only 1 in the entire Philippines… :D

shadow

Hawaii, too, it’s probably much smaller than the Philippines but about 11.3million visitors last year, I think… yet, there are no girls bars in Hawaii, as far as I know…

There are 5 Vuitton stores (Guam has 2), however, as compared to only 1 in the entire Philippines… :D

What is a Vuitton store, and who would go there? Is that like a Frederics of Hollywood?

Edit; Ahh, I see, it;'s where go to to buy a $3000 ladies handbag!

Edited by shadow
  • Like 2

colemanlee

What is a Vuitton store, and who would go there? Is that like a Frederics of Hollywood?

Edit; Ahh, I see, it;'s where go to to buy a $3000 ladies handbag!

Ah Frederics, now there is something that would go over big here....

• Like 1

RogerDat

I thought they had girly bars there, did you ever watch Hawaii 5 0?