A 1.8Kw Wind Turbine and a 1kw Solar Panel what could that run?

weijing3333

I'm looking at a Wind Turbine and a Solar Panel that I plan to buy in a year. I was wondering how much could both of these run. Could it run a entire house. I'm really just looking for something that can run a big refrigerator a big computer set up and a few appliances and some lights.

Paul

I'm looking at a Wind Turbine and a Solar Panel that I plan to buy in a year. I was wondering how much could both of these run. Could it run a entire house. I'm really just looking for something that can run a big refrigerator a big computer set up and a few appliances and some lights.

When it comes to considering alternative energy, especially when thinking of an off-grid application, the steps you should take are:

1. Conservation - See where you can turn off unnecessary loads. See where you can save by not using power, rather than planning on how to run a particular appliance.

2. Determine Necessary Loads - Determine how much power each individual appliance uses, and the number of hours each day you need them powered. 

3. Calculate Battery Bank Size - After you have your total watt hours from item #2, you can determine how many amp hours you need of storage in order to power those appliances.

4. Calculate Solar Array / Wind Requirements - After you have calculated item #3, you can determine what size solar array / windmill you need to keep your battery bank charged.

It just isn't as simple as asking, "What will it take to power a computer, refrigerator, lights, etc.?"

Paul

Here is a webpage I just found, that states the same thing. The calculations are a bit off from what I would personally figure, myself. Otherwise, it's pretty well the same information:

Website

screencapture-offgridinverterinfo-com-2015-03-28-how-many-solar-panels-and-how-much-battery-storage-do-i-need-1437792488450.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just look at your current electric bill. I use from 9 to 12 kW hours a day. Figure at best a 50 percent generation rate for solar and wind is a local calculation and there you have your needs.

At least in Cebu , wind power does not appear to be viable.