Sign in to follow this  
Davaoeno

selling a house in the Philippines

Ozepete

In many countries rent is taxable and so it can be advantageous for these arrangements to be "informal".

In most countries it is income that is taxable and income is what is left over after gross income has costs deducted.

These cost deductions can often include interest if it is an investment property and in Oz for example this can offset other income for taxation purposes. 

Apart from that, what does this have to do with my comment? And would it not be better to borrow at say 2% in say the USA instead of rates in the Phils? Besides any rental income derived would most likely be negated by the interest and other costs

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1

Skywalker

Many people buy homes they simply cannot afford, or are far too leveraged.

My particular property was about to be repossessed by a loan company, because the woman who owned the house was deserted by her husband (the money) and she simply couldn't afford the payments.

Many of the properties that I bought in London were 'fire sale' for similar reasons.  It's just how it is.

Now, if that makes me a shark, I can live with that.  It's just business.

• Like 6

ex231

Hopefully everyone will pick up on the underlying comments here on location is everything on realestate. The three most important things on real estate is location location location...

It is. But one size doesn't fit all and that's what some fail to see. Some equate "location location location" as being next to the sari 2x store, near the subdivision gate, etc. To me "location location location" is in the province with not too many roosters, barking dogs, or traffic noise. My ideal is not a gated subdivision but a gated compound.

Different properties for different people.

• Like 9

Headshot

It is. But one size doesn't fit all and that's what some fail to see. Some equate "location location location" as being next to the sari 2x store, near the subdivision gate, etc. To me "location location location" is in the province with not too many roosters, barking dogs, or traffic noise. My ideal is not a gated subdivision but a gated compound.

Different properties for different people.

True. Every person has a different definition of "location, location, location" it seems. The feature that one person wants to be close, another person wants to be far away. It all depends on the person's situation. I believe that any property in the Philippines can be sold for what it's actually worth (not an inflated price), IF the seller is patient enough and diligent enough to find the right buyer.

• Like 4

SkyMan

True. Every person has a different definition of "location, location, location" it seems. The feature that one person wants to be close, another person wants to be far away. It all depends on the person's situation. I believe that any property in the Philippines can be sold for what it's actually worth (not an inflated price), IF the seller is patient enough and diligent enough to find the right buyer.

Right.  Some would like to live right next to a mall and while that might make it easier to sell when you decide to move on, it would be horrible for me.  I don't want to live near anything someone else would be attracted to.  As for over building or building a 'western' house and worrying about whether you'll get your money out of it, it's all on how you want to live.  I wouldn't want to live here (or anywhere) in a poorly designed/built house for very long.  It all depends on how long you plan to stay and what can afford (or afford to lose) as to what you need to put up with.  Don't get the idea there is a market for overbuilt palaces and then if you go ahead and build one then that's up to you. We're happy enough with our 36sqm shack right now.

• Like 2

thebob

Don't get the idea there is a market for overbuilt palaces and then if you go ahead and build one then that's up to you. We're happy enough with our 36sqm shack right now.

The best investment is just sorting out the paperwork on your land. It's quite easy to sell a lot in the right place. Build a small comfortable bungalow on a large lot with all the paperwork in order.

The next buyer can live in the bungalow while he builds his dream house. The difficult thing is choosing the location.

• Like 2

Davaoeno

It all depends on how long you plan to stay and what can afford (or afford to lose) as to what you need to put up with.

I couldnt agree more !

• Like 2

rachelle_01

great info. 

Davaoeno

it's on the wrong island.

I think that is covered by "  that is a line pushed by real estate agents at social climbers and investors "

Jess Bartone

I think that is covered by "  that is a line pushed by real estate agents at social climbers and investors "

From 27th July, are you struggling to find stuff to do Ian? I really don't understand what you're trying to say.

Davaoeno

From 27th July, are you struggling to find stuff to do Ian? I really don't understand what you're trying to say.

NO RUSH .  take your time - i have no doubt that it will come to you .   [ i'll give you a hint- it wasnt an attack on you - it was pointing out something humorous ]

As to the date - use your eyes and that will also be apparent to you ! 

towboat72

Yes

Me too

Davaoeno

ditto

Irenicus

I really don't understand what you're trying to say.

None of us actually do.

Just roll with it.....

• Like 2

Davaoeno

None of us actually do.

Just roll with it.....

i KNEW  i was going to pay for that psychosis diagnosis from the MacDo University in Dumaguete !! 
  • Like 1