Sign in to follow this  
Davaoeno

selling a house in the Philippines

Paul

I am a god.

See, Ian? I told you this would be great topic.

• Like 3

bahalina buong

and no one is forcing him to negotiate anything.  If he doesnt like my suggestions then he will just ignore them.  He obviously has his own way of trying to sell his house. I am only saying what i find works.   

...for promoting much lesser homes to a totally different pool of potential buyers.  Your advice is solid, and there is really no debating that, but it's just not applicable in this case.  Hope he sells it soon. 

• Like 1

bahalina buong

all i am doing is making some suggestions based on my experience selling houses here.  I assume that you and Cebubird are adults and will make your own decisions about how you will sell your house.  

You say " now he wants to give advice"-  if you dont like my advice then just ignore it. I assume you already know better how to do it.  And if you dont want to hear my suggestions why are you even reading this thread ?

I surely don't know it all, but I know when someone contradicts themselves, therefore my query.  

• Like 1

bargeman

I surely don't know it all, but I know when someone contradicts themselves, therefore my query.  

I think that really depends on how you are interpreting the post.

• Like 2

SumDumJoe

I have been trying to sell a house in Mindinao for over two years. When we bought the lot the owner had planned on sub-dividing his big lot into ten smaller ones. We bought one and two others were sold to retired OFWs. The other seven lots were never sold. Now squatter shacks cover the area. Everyone that looks at our house wants to buy it, but refuse, due to the squatters everywhere. I personally do not blame them. The owner has no interest in removing the squatters. 

I don't know if we will ever be able to sell it now. 

I do like the idea of offering financing ourselves. I had not thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion. 

• Like 7

hyaku

There are around six properties I know of. All in good locations. They used to watch each others prices and put theirs up or down accordingly saying things like "Ah well if Joe's house is now 2 mil I can get 3 etc etc.

Seven years on and they all still have for sale signs. Owners have died or moved anyway. Generally speaking this country is not a good investment for the property business unless its in a specific area that people want to move to it and not away from it. Maybe rent and buy is the way to go.

Edited by hyaku
  • Like 1

jtmwatchbiz

Maybe rent and buy is the way to go.

for me it's rent and rent.  unless there is some major developments in regards to zoning restrictions and actual enforcement, i'm not willing to take the risk of what a neighbor might someday decide to do with his property.    

• Like 8

Hy H

2- Knowing the judicial system in the PH, how easy will be to remove the buyer in case he defaults on the payments, provided this will be a civil case and can drag in the court for years having in the meanwhile the buyer living in the house?

Good points. I think the court order will take a while. Some local witchcraft..... :hyper:.........would perhaps work better.  Or just an old fashioned…………........bat for hire......  :baseballbat:

Bill H

wouldn't even be a remote possibility for me. if it came to that i'd dump it for a big discount before i chose to be a landlord from the other side of the world.

To me, that would depend on the mechanics of the deal and if I had trustworthy family in the area to keep an eye on things, make sure the taxes are being paid, etc.  As with many things in life, the devil is in the details.

• Like 1

RogerDuMond

The other seven lots were never sold. Now squatter shacks cover the area. Everyone that looks at our house wants to buy it, but refuse, due to the squatters everywhere. I personally do not blame them. The owner has no interest in removing the squatters. I don't know if we will ever be able to sell it now.

What about you buying the rest of the lots at a discount and throwing the squatters off?

• Like 2

SumDumJoe

What about you buying the rest of the lots at a discount and throwing the squatters off?

Might not be a bad idea. If it were anywhere other than Zamboanga City I would consider it. At this point I feel like I would just be throwing bad money after even worse money. And I am to the point with the squatters around our house that it could only end in my death or a long prison sentence. 

RogerDuMond

Might not be a bad idea. If it were anywhere other than Zamboanga City I would consider it. At this point I feel like I would just be throwing bad money after even worse money. And I am to the point with the squatters around our house that it could only end in my death or a long prison sentence. 

Have you talked to the barangay captain?

bluecarabao

Put some speakers on your wall pointed towards the squatters and give them the 'Jimmy Hendrix Experience' all night for a month,if they last that long.

• Like 3

bluecarabao

Do you know many barangay captains in the PH will side with you against the locals?

Better chance of getting rectal cancer.

RogerDuMond

Do you know many barangay captains in the PH will side with you against the locals?

Yes

• Like 1