Sign in to follow this  
Jawny

Getting a refund for money lost in ATM transaction?

Jawny

I have a query regarding the refund process when an ATM transaction goes wrong. I was hoping some member(s) have had success and can explain if the process worked simply. Sorry if the post is a bit long, but the devil is in the details.

This involves an ATM card for peso account with Metrobank. The cardholder is a local (not a foreign sounding name).

The card was used at an ATM operated by Chinabank. The machine was in Cebu Doctors University. The transaction was for ₽10,000. The machine only dispensed ₽8,000. This was on the 26 th of June, this year.

The same day, the cardholder went to the Chinabank branch at the SM mall. The bank branch didn't want to process the claim, pointing out the main branch in Ayala mall would handle this. It was late in the day, so the SM branch did give a form to use and accepted it with the assurance it would be given to the Ayala branch.

That is where the delays began, and to this day, the process is still underway (to issue a credit to the Metrobank account).

The document did not get to the Ayala mall for several days. Finally when it did, there were more delays as the person assigned indicated they were "very busy", but would handle it soon.

I might add, we've since learned that this particular machine at CDU has this problem frequently. We no longer use the machine but go to a Metrobank branch to get cash.

The person handling the process kept giving vague assurances, finally saying it would take 2 to 3 weeks to complete the process. So, after that long, another inquiry was made. The person at Chinabank revealed they had not yet given the document,went to their manager, but would do so right away. It was THEN the 2 to 3 week delay would begin.

This all sounds like one of two possibilities. The first is the most likely. A disgruntled clerk, lazy and indifferent and bordering on incompetent. The only skill the clerk has is coming up with excuses or explanations.

The other possibility (less likely it seems), it is some sort of delaying tactic to find a way to pocket the cash. We've experienced that before with Philhealth payments made to caregivers and government monies being distributed to the needy, which end up "lost".

I was hoping to hear from members who have had a situation like this and resolved it.

SkyMan

I have twice had ATMs fail to dispense money but this was the full amount, p10K, not partial.  This was also using a US ATM card both times.  The withdrawals showed up as usual 'pending' and then went away after a couple days.  That's my experience.

• Like 3

Jawny

I have twice had ATMs fail to dispense money but this was the full amount, p10K, not partial.  This was also using a US ATM card both times.  The withdrawals showed up as usual 'pending' and then went away after a couple days.  That's my experience.

Yeah, wouldn't it be nice if the machines were to fix the problems they created. This was not a U.S. Account.

I wasn't there when the machine malfunctioned and haven't used an ATM in many years. However, the description was the machine "grabbed" the last 2,000 pesos. This same description is used by many of the students at CDU so it appears the machine has some sort of mechanical flaw.

arentol

One time I withdrew 10,000 from a BPI ATM in Ayala Basement 2 using an HSBC card -- no money came out, but my account was debited the 10,000.

I called up HSBC and was informed that it would probably be discovered when BPI did their nightly accounting. I was advised to wait 2 days and, in the meantime, HSBC would file a report.

The money was credited back to my account the following day. 

My only other ATM experiences have been when the machine hung-up on me... it's happened twice (i.e., enter all the details and nothing happens). In both cases, the trick is to just wait... don't freak out and walk away from the ATM. After 4 or 5 minutes of inactivity, the ATM spits out the card.

Cheers,

Aren

woodchopper

my US mate had an experience where it swallowed the card,,i walked to the concerned phils bank and they got a tech to come to colonaide,,he waited at the machine.

thats the best reason to use hsbc,,24hr guards in attendance,,i realise this not much help 2 u old mate

delancey

For what it's worth, I've done research about the ATM process here. The banks have a history of auditing themselves and returning the funds in almost every case I have read. Claiming outright fraud causes more resistance from the bank.

I have no idea how much it helps but here are my observations:

Ideally only use the bank associated with the ATM. I have read bank X blaming bank Y and bank Y blaming bank X with ATM issues causing a nightmare. ATM's at banks only and when they are open.

(In a perfect world.)

Write down the identifiers in ink on the ATM Receipt because the ink they use fades in days.

Philippines is terribly behind, banks have discretion over ATM and Credit Card Fraud and other anomalies. You get wiped out and you are at the mercy of their investigation. Forget " Zero Liability".

Edited by delancey

NOSOCALPINOY

I certainly won't wait before filing a report, because time is of the essence! Last year I used my bank's ATM elsewhere and it did not dispense any cash (P20,000) from my ATM debit peso checking account when it indicated that it did on the ATM receipt. Luckily one of my bank's branch office was nearby and I knew the bank manager and she assisted me with filing my report. 2 days later she sent me a text message that the money was recovered and back in my account and so it was.

I do know how it would have been handled if it were one of my U.S. debit/credit card and I hope I never find out! "Knock on wood"! :unknw:   

Edited by NOSOCALPINOY

Monsoon

My experience over the numerous times it has happened to me under various situations, either shorted or no money came at all is that it shows on my online banking as a withdraw but eventually it gets rectified. 

Without me even contacting them about it. 

Maybe I'm just lucky.

Believe it or not there are checks and balances behind the scenes on ATM machines. Things you wouldn't necessarily know about from using one. A lot of fail safes. 

I only know this because I once did consulting work for a  manufacturer of ATMs and bill counters. 

Edited by Monsoon

Salty Dog

I had it happen 3 times where a BPI machine didn't give me money and even gave a receipt saying no cash disbursed, but my USA account was debited. Each time BPI gave me the run around and said it should be refunded automatically within a few days.

Yea right. In each case I contacted my USA bank and they placed the money back in my account immediately and said they would take it from there. Only once that I knew of, did BPI return my money and it took about 3 weeks.

Edited by Salty Dog

Raptor

the description was the machine "grabbed" the last 2,000 pesos.

One time an ATM grabbed back the entire 10,000 from me, but it was because I was distracted and didn't get the money in time. It took a few days after I filled out the form but eventually the bank credited by account.

Canuck Joe

Lost 10,000 P...not once but twice, fml, Bank people said...sorry sir try again.

Ever since then i refused to use my international bank card in the PR. This was 2010, things may have improved....lol!

easy44

I'm amazed at the bad luck some of you guys have had.  I have used my US bank ATM card extensively, both for cash and commercial transactions in Cebu and other places in the Philippines for the last 15 years with only one problem, when an ATM machine kept my card without dispensing cash.  The problem was solved the next day by the bank.

If this was happening often, I would start wondering what's wrong with my card.

• Like 2

Paul

I'm amazed at the bad luck some of you guys have had.  I have used my US bank ATM card extensively, both for cash and commercial transactions in Cebu and other places in the Philippines for the last 15 years with only one problem, when an ATM machine kept my card without dispensing cash.  The problem was solved the next day by the bank.

If this was happening often, I would start wondering what's wrong with my card.

Touch wood, in all the countries I have visited or lived in, ever since leaving the US, I have never lost a card, nor have I not received the exact amount of cash I requested from a given ATM.

Never had an issue anywhere within the US, either.

If I had some of the problems I have read here, I would start asking similar questions, Rick. 

• Like 1

Enuff

only had it happen once with east west bank.

withdraw p10k & nothing came out but showed minus from my account

was corrected next day

Lee

In all these years I had never had it happen to me and then a few years ago it happen twice with my BPI ATM card at BPI machines, one time I got nothing but a receipt showing p10,000 was taken but nothing came out of the machine and the next time at another machine it shorted me a couple of thousand, one phone call each time to BPI and the next day the money was back in our account. IMHO BPI is a great bank to do business with. 

• Like 1