researching building a small solar power station

SumDumJoe

I found this today as I have been researching building a small solar power station to keep phones charged and some light if we end up in a longer term black out situation. I saw that CDR King sells everything for the set up and I was wondering about quality. In the video a British fellow tests out two panels and a controller from CDR King. 

Anyone else used the full set up from CDR King? Edited by Paul
video link
  • Like 2
sugbu777

I found this today as I have been researching building a small solar power station to keep phones charged and some light if we end up in a longer term black out situation. I saw that CDR King sells everything for the set up and I was wondering about quality. In the video a British fellow tests out two panels and a controller from CDR King. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIi1Ifam614

Anyone else used the full set up from CDR King?

Good video link you provided.

Paul

The British guy said it right, though. Most of their stuff is junk.

When it comes to solar, as it does many things, keep one thing in mind. If you pay for junk, that is what you will get. 

KennyF

I have been researching building a small solar power station to keep phones charged and some light if we end up in a longer term black out situation.

If you have only such small needs you might consider an UPS,

A fully charged UPS would charge a cell phone many times over and run a 4 watt LED lamp for many hours,

Personally, I bought a power bank for that purpose which will charge my phone 3 or 4 times, so a weeks power.

There is nothing easier nor cheaper than grid electricity.

KonC

• Like 1
hyaku

The British guy said it right, though. Most of their stuff is junk.

When it comes to solar, as it does many things, keep one thing in mind. If you pay for junk, that is what you will get. 

I did consider it until I found out about inverter generators. My main consideration for giving up on the idea for now was that there five or more components with a couple of panels. If just one of those goes wrong? That's your lot. SomDumJoe I already do what you need by charging up a battery with charger and connecting an inverter to charge my pads and phone. Solar lights are cheap too. But you can use 1 watt bulbs. Just make sure everything is charged up.They also sell 12v light bulbs to run off the battery direct.