Neighborhood Entertainment

SkyMan

So last evening I get a txt from my neighbor we are going to lose power because one of our poles is on fire.  

post-940-0-53685400-1436684711_thumb.jpg

After a while everyone, mostly kids, from up the hill came to watch.

post-940-0-16737100-1436684842_thumb.jpgpost-940-0-60645300-1436684913_thumb.jpgpost-940-0-87999400-1436684970_thumb.jpgpost-940-0-60996300-1436685055_thumb.jpgEventually the fire department showed up and hosed it off.  Apparently a birds nest caused it.  That pole has been leaning for some time though.  They'd use a piece of heavy cable to tie it to a tree to hold it up.  Then someone was stealing anapog around the base which didn't help.  About 3AM they delivered a new cement pole and guys have been out there jackhammering a hole for it.  They say they may be done before dark but right now my generator is busting its but to keep the ref cool.  Fun times.

• Like 4

That's pretty exciting.

My poles almost never catch on fire.

:yahoo:

• Like 1
to_dave007

About 3AM they delivered a new cement pole and guys have been out there jackhammering a hole for it.

Jackhammers.. wow..  Positively modern even.  When they put pole out here the hole was dug out here by hand.. in limestone.

Then when the metal pole arrived.. it was just human power to get it in place..  10 or 12 guys carrying it the 70 meters to it's resting place.

After Yolanda.. they had to replace 1,000+ poles in my municipality alone.  Much worse farther north.

SkyMan

Yeah, they had been working on it this morning with spud bars.  Then they brought up a towable genset with a cherry picker truck and the jack hammer.  They had the pole in place a couple hours ago and have been working to transfer the wires.  The new pole is a good 8 feet taller than the old wooden one.

thebob

Who gets to keep the old pole? Looks like some seasoned lumber there. I'd offer something before it's chopped up for fire wood.

SkyMan

Well, they got the power back on at 8:45.  Not bad considering.  They worked all day at it.

I'd like to have the pole and will be inquiring about it if it's still there in the morning.

to_dave007

They just cut the old one down at my place, and left it.  I inquired, and they said they'd be back..  but a year later they haven't been back.   Good thing, cuz we built something out of it.

• Like 1
thebob

I'd like to have the pole and will be inquiring about it if it's still there in the morning.

I would have had a word with whoever the boss is and slip him some pesos for "delivery", before it disappears.