Sign in to follow this  
Lee

Teaching locals to swim

Lee

If there was some way to organize something like that in Cebu and other areas, it might be a worthwhile project that could end up saving lives in the future. IMHO everyone should at least know how to do the basics of swimming, tread water, etc, maybe we can all start out with our families whenever practical and ask them to teach others and so on and so on. 

• Like 7

That Masked Man

I was really surprised when I visited just how many people who live almost at the edge of the water do not know how to swim. When I was growing up in Florida, practically everyone learned to swim. I can understand people in landlocked states or even in mountain provinces in the Philippines not knowing, but Cebu?? I am not the best swimming instructor, but I will teach my family to swim. at least somehat so they are less likely to drown if they are ever in a boat that gets damaged or somehow end up overboard.

• Like 3

Salty Dog

I've often imagined what it would be like to be in one of the Philippines many marine incidents.

I've thought I would be lucky because the waters aren't too cold and have no doubt that I could swim and/or remain afloat for some time.

I've also taught my wife to swim and float a little, but more important, she is now at least comfortable being in deep water.

I too have been amazed at the number of Filipinos who can't swim. My wife's family often go to their local beach which is full of Filipinos on weekends and holidays. Even then, most of those in the water still can't swim.

I learned to swim at my local pool as a child. I had swimming and more importantly drownproofing as part of a normal physical education class in highschool.

In the Coast Guard you were discharged in bootcamp if you couldn't swim after a few weeks. Later in my career I had to be able to swim fully clothed with boots and learn to escape from an overturned, submerged aircraft blindfolded while straped into a seat.

My point is that learning to swim, at least in my country seemed to be as common as learning to ride a bicycle or drive a car.

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 3

thebob

All of our crew swim like fishes. Moalboal is perfect for lessons like these. Spend a day in one of the pools, then another day in the sea.

Look me up if you need any help. I've got some floats and truck inner tubes, to inspire confidence, and a few lifejackets for parents who cant swim.

• Like 5

broden

my wife's Father taught her and all her siblings how to swim.. he was an excellent swimmer

my wife is pretty good all the other siblings vary at how good they are but they can all surely swim good enough when it's called for and they all enjoy swimming for fun when the opportunity presents itself .. and to be honest they make sure it presents itself as often as possible

what's funny was back in the day when they were all kids her Mom argued against her Dad teaching them to swim cause she was afraid they would drown during the lessons.. it's really odd

but it is strange to find so many non-swimmers in an island nation.

when we were kids we still learned the same way they did back in my parents day.. get thrown off the pier swim or die

we learned fast

my kiddo got to learn in a nice large pool.. little punk

• Like 2

Dublin boy

All my extended family now swim but I would never open this up and teach any one else as u can imagine you would for sure be open to some idiot getting jealous or what ever and causing problems.

rainymike

Depends on where you live I suppose and what a community wants to do. Here in Davao, there are lots of free swimming classes for kids that are held during summer months. My soon to be four year old starts her first swim class this Friday at school.

I imagine there are many church or community groups that would love to have some help in offering something like this.

Edited by rainymike

Salty Dog

Maybe a little less school festival singing practices and they would be able to teach swimming in the schools...   :db:

• Like 5

wishbone

Lee, it's a terrific idea and you should follow through.   Kids are so much eaiser to teach swimming and there might be a church or youth group you could volunteer?   Just a thought.   When I make the big move in a few years, I'll help you.

Wishbone

• Like 2

Salty Dog

Lee, it's a terrific idea and you should follow through.   Kids are so much eaiser to teach swimming and there might be a church or youth group you could volunteer?   Just a thought.   When I make the big move in a few years, I'll help you.

Wishbone

Well you see, there lies the problem.

If Lee gets to close to water or a Church, he melts...  :biggrin_01:

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 1

That Masked Man

Maybe a little less school festival singing practices and they would be able to teach swimming in the schools...   :db:

With the Pinoy love of entertainment and performance, maybe the problem of so few people knowing how to swim can be solved with two words: syncronized swimming. :dance2:  :dance2:  :rofl:

• Like 1

Salty Dog

With the Pinoy love of entertainment and performance, maybe the problem of so few people knowing how to swim can be solved with two words: syncronized swimming. :dance2:  :dance2:  :rofl:

• Like 2

Cebuandrew

Here on Bantayan, that was a huge problem a rescue group identified: 90% of the locals cannot swim. So, they got 40 local part-time volunteers last year, taught them how to swim in the ocean over 4 weeks, then asked them to go teach as many others as they could. Not sure how that worked out (the follow through of those initial 40 people), but it was a hell of an idea I thought.

• Like 2

contraman

All my extended family now swim but I would never open this up and teach any one else as u can imagine you would for sure be open to some idiot getting jealous or what ever and causing problems.

??????

Please explain what you mean : :idontknow:

Edited by contraman

GwapoGuy
 but it is strange to find so many non-swimmers in an island nation.

when we were kids we still learned the same way they did back in my parents day.. get thrown off the pier swim or die

we learned fast

my kiddo got to learn in a nice large pool.. little punk

Many Cebuano non-swimmers are afraid of the various critters cruising around the open sea.

Yes if kids were not swimming by age ten in Canada, they were pushed off the dock -- sink or swim!

The first lesson I learned in swim class was how to blow bubbles....

• Like 1