Sign in to follow this  
Ogami

Activating smart roam from overseas

Ogami

Didn't realize I needed 100 peso balance to activated my roam on smart. Now i cant roam. Anyone Know a solution?

Salty Dog

You can add a load using www.aryty.com

Woolf

There is a number on the sim card

As far as I know someone can present that number at a SMART office

and they can activate roaming

You will need to have someone go to a smart office

Edited by Woolf

Ogami

Yes but since it's not roaming, I'm not getting a signal.

Ogami

Geez I'm surely not the only moron to have done this, you'd think they'd make it easier at this juncture. Probably easier to get a new Sim off amazon that set to roam. Sigh.

GeorgeW69

Sorry to Hijack the post, do you know where one can purchase a Sun cellular Sim Card in the UK?

SkyMan

Sorry to Hijack the post, do you know where one can purchase a Sun cellular Sim Card in the UK?

EBay should work.

NOSOCALPINOY

Just be aware, with a Philippine sim card in the roaming mode anywhere outside of the Philippines is awfully expensive! 

When we vacationed in the U.S., both my Smart prepaid (manually) and postpaid (is automatic) sim were in roam mode. My prepaid sim card with over P1,000 was eaten up in just less than a week and when I used my Smart postpaid's internet, in just 48 hrs of use, my billing was for P10,000. (never used my postpaid sim since then while in the U.S. on vacation). 

So, what I did, I found a nearby T-Mobile office who sold prepaid sim cards that will work in open line phones from the Philippines. The T-mobile I bought was just for unlimited talk and text while in the U.S. for $35 a month (extra for international and WiFi use) and re-loadable on-line, over the phone or at any T-Mobile office.

Also, where we were staying had WiFi and I was able to use Skype to video call and text anywhere in the world, providing my account had a prepaid load, where calls and texts are pennies to the dollar to non Skype numbers and U.S. 1-800 numbers are free.

So I would assume, being in the U.K. would have the same results that I experienced in the U.S. on our vacation for 4 months there! International roaming is very expensive! Don't do it unless you can afford it.  A friend of ours from the U.S. was on vacation in the Philippines and her phone was in roam and when she returned home, she was shocked with her postpaid cellphone billing! She was so embarrassed to say how much her bill was for.  

• Like 1

Woolf

As far as I know roaming in itself does not cost anything

BUT

Make sure that you turn data off, data roaming is very costly anywhere

• Like 1

youngwillie

Try Callingnow.co.uk

The ebay guy mentioned here is ok too, he also sells load. The card takes about four weeks but is sent registered. Sun I don't know about having only used Smart.

Edited by youngwillie

youngwillie

Geez I'm surely not the only moron to have done this, you'd think they'd make it easier at this juncture. Probably easier to get a new Sim off amazon that set to roam. Sigh.

I have also left the phils without setting it to roaming again but if you go to the Smart website you can open an account related to your number and switch it on through there. I have done this, it is a bit convoluted but it does work.

youngwillie

To keep the sim working it needs to be fed regularly - every 4 months (120 days) it costs 500 pesos. That is the only cost. Yes it must maintain a balance or it eventually switches off for ever.

Sending messages from that number TO the phils is very expensive. I use skype to send texts TO there and they use Smart to send me a text. It costs me 4 pence to send one TO the phils and it costs 1 peso to send one to my roaming number.  There are numerous "unli" packages for the person in the phils, they will know this. 

Like Mr Nosocalpinoy says DO NOT use a roaming sim to send messages - it costs a lot.

Oh and with an ordinary card bought in the phils set to international roaming as far as I'm aware it cannot be used for voice calls.

Hope this helps.

Edited by youngwillie

Lee

To keep the sim working it needs to be fed regularly - every 3 months it costs 500 pesos

Actually if you load p500 via their cards then it is valid 120 days, I am not sure of time on eloads, I read 60 days HERE

As for activating, sign in at Smart.com.ph and then once you click on your number there will be a pull down to International Roaming, then click on activate but first be sure to load over p100

Activate or deactivate your International Text Roaming in an instant.

International text roaming allows you to send and receive text messages and Value Added Services (VAS) while abroad. Activate or deactivate your International Roaming feature here!

Are you already out of the country? What would you like to do?

• Activate this service
  • Deactivate this service