Sign in to follow this  
ex231

Friends don't let friends fly United

ex231

Recently flew United to the US and back to PI. They absolutely sucked and I won't ever do that again.

I booked on the UA site and they partnered with ANA for the first leg going and last leg coming back. ANA was OK.

Flight from NRT - SFO was late *shocked face* and was an old 747  with no seat back entertainment and an audio jack so worn out the headphone plug wouldn't make good contact. That plane had to have had the least leg room of any flight I've ever been on. I'm big at 215lb but not huge. The tray table hit my stomach when I lowered it. The food was the most disgusting in flight meal I've ever had and was served stone cold.

SFO - LAS flight was late. Imagine that.

Leaving FAT - SFO it took ticket agent 45 minutes to check us in. She fumbled with our passports and was on the phone with someone for 20 minutes trying to figure that out, then she told me I was trying to travel on the wrong day and that was the cause of the problem. I finally got her straightened out on that and then noticed that she had given my wife a boarding pass NRT - MNL but not me. I asked her about mine and she said she couldn't issue it and didn't know why and that I should get it somewhere else. Although she didn't know where. Finally got checked in and went to the gate area and noticed that she had split me and my wife up on every leg of the trip ignoring the seats I preselected months in advance. Ran back to the ticket counter and got that straightened out.

SFO - NRT late again I shit you not! Same old 747, same old days from retirement cabin crew. Different crappy food though although served late due to a heater malfunction. At least they TRIED to warm it that time lol

I booked United because I saved $150 each on our tickets over others. Lesson learned this time.

Jester

Friend recently flew United SW Florida to Cebu  $950 round trip!  Yes nine hundred and fifty US dollars total cost round trip.   And yes, Cebu not Manila.   For that kind of money they can screw up all they want. 

Jester

• Like 6

Irenicus

I just did United round trip in April.  No issues.

Guess a lot of it has to do with what type of plane ya get.  

Irenicus

Friend recently flew United SW Florida to Cebu  $950 round trip!  Yes nine hundred and fifty US dollars total cost round trip.

I would guess that he purchased that ticket in early January. 

SkyMan

Recently flew United to the US and back to PI. T
Bad enough flying UA but you went through Manila too?  You should join LinC so you can find out how to avoid such disasters.
  • Like 1

miles-high

Bad enough flying UA but you went through Manila too?  You should join LinC so you can find out how to avoid such disasters.

No problem as long as no change of terminal is involved... Probably easier than connecting to a domestic flight in Cebu... :D

• Like 3

Enuff

I agree, united sucks

I saved $600 and paid for it dearly

right now cathay pacific is having a fare sale from nyc (jfk & ewr) to Cebu for $922 roundtrip with 2 hr layovers in hong kong

• Like 1

LechonBuddha

I absolutely refuse to fly a U.S. carrier on an international flight ever again. 

• Like 2

HeyMike

I did not like United either the last time I flew with them (a few years ago). I recently booked with Cathay at $1130 round trip Cebu to Newark. 2 hour layover Hong Kong. No complaints from me with Cathay Pacific.

• Like 2

ex231

Manila wasn't so bad and I had some business there anyway. If you live on Negros Mactan is not the be all, end all place. Manila works better for me.

• Like 2

rfm010

i also flew united in april saving $600.  but unlike delta that has direct flights to detroit with united i had to make connections and of course a late arrival at dulles coupled with a 15 minute jog to the connecting terminal caused me to miss the connection by 5 minutes.  they were good about getting me an early next morning connection using delta and the overnight stay at dulles was tolerable with movies on my tablet, but my luggage had made the original connection and was waiting for me in the stray luggage office at detroit.  which didn't open until 11am.  took about 40 minutes to get a kind soul to find the key and open it early and after that all was good.  didn't eat the food because i always bring my own.  no back seat entertainment, and no seat charger for my gadgets.  good thing kindles have long battery life. 

in detroit checking in for the return flight the ticket agent actually knew what she was asking for when asking about my philippine residency status.  showed my acr and all was good.  i throw that last part in for monsoon.

will only fly united again if savings are substantial, and connections aren't too close together.  probably won't fly united again.

• Like 2

miles-high

United and PAL are only airlines flying to Guam, USA (I am adding “USA” so that people from other parts of world would know where Guam is). :)

United flies ex-Continental 737’s between Manila and Guam so that’s good enough for short 3.5 hr flights. They fly day time on Wednesdays and Saturdays, otherwise red eye (overnight) to Guam. All PAL flights leave Manila around 11pm, arrive Guam around 5am, besides they fly Airbuses so I don’t fly PAL too often! :)

United from Guam to Honolulu is another story – they downgraded nicer Continental 767’s with United’s old, cattle-class 777. Many people in Guam now fly Delta to Honolulu via Narita, Japan. United 787 from Narita to Honolulu is also OK.

So, I would say consult the “seatguru.com” before booking any flight(s). Even though the 747 fleet (Delta, United) is getting old, I would still prefer the 4-engine Boeing airplanes to cross dark, stormy, freezing North Pacific… ;)

• Like 1

broden

Friend recently flew United SW Florida to Cebu  $950 round trip!  Yes nine hundred and fifty US dollars total cost round trip.   And yes, Cebu not Manila.   For that kind of money they can screw up all they want. 

Jester

i always fly what ever is cheapest.. really don't care about amenities and i can be comfortable anywhere.. i grew up subways and buses anyway.. and in slums for that matter

really i do the same with hotel/motel.. just get a place acceptable enough to sleep in.. not really ever going anywhere for the hotel

but to each their own

• Like 2

Salty Dog

Miles I can't believe you didn't check to see your seats were together until you got to the gate.

I guess you're too used to having one of those seats up front. Way up front…

Edited by Salty Dog

USMC-Retired

Show me the money baby. I fly cheap and look for low price leaders. Entertainment two small kids and a tablet is enough for me. Leg room at a buck 60 and 5'7" not such a concern. Spirit airline from LA to Houston cheap cheap cheap.