Sign in to follow this  
Barryrio

Kanos that go native

Barryrio
Saw this blog recently and cut and pasted it: Filipino Child Endangerment – Helmets For Mom & Dad, No Helmet For Child

Posted By FiloFail on March 25, 2013

Family_on_bike-300x180.jpgHow many times have you seen mom and dad riding on their motorcycle with their child sandwiched in the middle between them? I see it all the time here. Mom and dad have helmets, because they can be seen. They don’t want to get a citation.

In their stupid tiny little brains, they obviously don’t think about the safety of their child. If there wasn’t a helmet law, they wouldn’t wear one either. But they wear one not because it could save your life, and not because they have a fecking clue about safety, they wear a helmet because they can be seen. And if they are seen without a helmet, they’ll get a citation.

But what about little NoyNoy? They hide him in the middle, he can’t be seen. Therefore he needs no helmet. It is only when another stupid Filipino (and stupidity is an epidemic plague in Philippines, nearly everyone is infected with it!)can-b-yr-child-300x150.jpg smashes into them, and little NoyNoy’s brains get squashed out of his head, that they will suddenly, and far too late, come to the realization of exactly what the helmet law is for .

I have never seen such stupidity in all my life!

The sad thing is that while this kind of irresponsible behavior can in some way be attributed to the complete lack of road safety initiatives and training here, I find it unbelievable the number of kanos I see every day in and around Dumaguete that do exactly the same thing. Kano riding, wife or gf as backrider with child either sandwiched between them, or in some cases held over the riders shoulders by the back rider. The same retards who would doubtless complain about the poor ER facilities when the worse happens. I shudder every time I see this and cannot believe that they voluntarily place their kids at risk this way. Rant over. 

• Like 6

rizla

While I don't disagree with your sentiments, we also need to realise that this Asia, this happens not just in Phils but all over Asia, it will change, slowly.

Perhaps we should also consider what the average person did in Europe and America when Cars and motorcycles first appeared, remember there was a man walking in front of cars with a red flag to warn pedestrians, how stupid by todays standard! Westerners had the luxury of gradually adapting to traffic, learnt simple rules etc in a time when there really was little traffic around.

Not so with Asia, here the car/bike almost appeared overnight, they are still adjusting to the enormity of such a big change in lifestyle. 

It is frightening and stupid beyond belief for us westerners, but it will change as time moves on, it just has to be a learning curve, sadly way to slow for the likes of you and me.

• Like 4

Barryrio

@rizla: I agree with you 100%. My gripe is with our fellow kanos who should know better than to emulate the locals in this way!!!!

• Like 4

lamoe

Same here in US as far as no helmets, safety gear (gloves, boots, leathers).

Cycle, driver  with 3 items of visible clothing - shorts and gym shoes - female passenger 4 (tube top) doing 60 on highway.

My daughter says they call them FReaKs - Future Road Kill - when on radio 

mactanfamily

No sane person should ride a bike in the PI. No less a child with ANY safety gear.

It is only a matter of time....I've seen road rash and muffler burn infections nearly kill people in Cebu.

I've said this before that in my years 1999-2014 I've KNOWN at least 15 to die from bike accidents and another 30 nearly die.

If you know one person a year dying from riding a stupid bike to save money there is a serious problem here.

• Like 4

For Real

Walter's children were offered condolences by their school which must have been touching. Problem is life has gone on for the children but not their dad.

I'm not against bikes in the province where you can overcome most situations where other members of the public has no regard for your existence but never in the city.

hyaku

Saw this blog recently and cut and pasted it: Filipino Child Endangerment – Helmets For Mom & Dad, No Helmet For Child

Where do you live Barryrio? In the provinces around 1% wear a helmet. They pull out in front with five on a bike as if they didn't know what self preservation means.

Joel, if they are irresponsible I don't care either but if you are one involved in that accident YOU will be blamed because they got injured as their head smashed into the tarmac. Whining to the pulisiya, "But its their fault they didnt have helmet" wont work here.

• Like 2

BossHog

Well I've gone pretty much native in terms of transport.

Just take one of my canoes downriver if I wanna go to the market or have a picnic on the beach.

No traffic problems at all and I never wear a helmet 

(not that a helmet would be much protection against the saltwater crocs anyways.)

• Like 6

SomeRandomGuy

No sane person should ride a bike in the PI. No less a child with ANY safety gear.

It is only a matter of time....I've seen road rash and muffler burn infections nearly kill people in Cebu.

I've said this before that in my years 1999-2014 I've KNOWN at least 15 to die from bike accidents and another 30 nearly die.

If you know one person a year dying from riding a stupid bike to save money there is a serious problem here.

I ride a bike because of no parking spaces anywhere, ever

• Like 1

colemanlee

I ride a bike because of no parking spaces anywhere, ever

As do I, we actually have four of them, and have been riding them here for the last five or so years....so I guess that makes me a Kano that has gone native...

• Like 4

Irenicus

The same retards who would doubtless complain about the poor ER facilities when the worse happens.

Why don't you just honk at them and say, "Hey, you retard, why don't you put a helmet on your kid?  Or is your stupid little brain unable to grasp the idea of traumatic brain injuries?"

That blog reminds of the guys here that incessantly whine about each and every thing about the Philippines - some real, some imagined.

Matter of fact, I thinks its published out of the old MacDonald's here in Dumaguete.

John over at Mia's is their head editor I think.

• Like 1

colemanlee

Why don't you just honk at them and say, "Hey, you retard, why don't you put a helmet on your kid?  Or is your stupid little brain unable to grasp the idea of traumatic brain injuries?"

That blog reminds of the guys here that incessantly whine about each and every thing about the Philippines - some real, some imagined.

Matter of fact, I thinks its published out of the old MacDonald's here in Dumaguete.

John over at Mia's is their head editor I think.

Reminds me of what my wife calls OA (over acting ) folks coming to a third world country and wanting to make it like the one they left...I would suggest if the helmets bother them so much, buy a hundred or so, and stand on the corner and hand them out.....Im sure that would make a difference instead of whining here....

• Like 2

SomeRandomGuy

A lot of the reasons people( read kano) have bike accidents here as they are either terrible bike riders, drink and drive or just not used to the traffic here.

Here it is madness.

Always expect the unexpected, but if u are a competent bike rider u should be like that anyway.

I have ridden bikes since i have been here and so have most of the lads i know.

Only people i know that have had issues are the ones i listed above.

• Like 2

Cebuandrew

I don't know. Here on Bantayan, there are dogs, chickens, kids, goats, drunk men and even cows that suddenly appear in the roads. Even on our so called "highways." A German guy was sober 6 months ago when a dog appeared and he went down pretty hard, losing a lot of skin. Rare to see helmets here and common to see 3-4 people on a little scooter. My solution was to spend a little extra and get a few atv's (motorbike with 4 wheels), though I understand these are not legal to drive in most places in Cebu.

• Like 1

Skywalker

My solution was to spend a little extra and get a few atv's (motorbike with 4 wheels), though I understand these are not legal to drive in most places in Cebu.

Great solution if you have the money.  Useless idea for the vast majority of the local people who can't afford such an extravagance.

A German guy was sober

Now that is an event!   :yahoo:

• Like 5