Sign in to follow this  
colemanlee

Using the water from the AC

Jawny

Just wondering if any of you guys use the water from the AC...Ive got one of those blue 55 gal barrels set up so both AC units drain into it...seems to work great, just use the water for washing clothes etc...

Thanks for the post. It has resulted in many informative (and entertaining responses).

I'm surprised there's been no comments about the "blue barrel".

I look forward to your next query about the proper use of night soil for vegetable gardens!

• Like 1

oztony

legionaires disease?

Yep! That too.

Well I would like to see where anyone has contracted legionella from a home A/C system , I would say there would not be 1 recorded case , you can drink water that has the legionella bacteria in it and you wont contract the illness , legionella needs certain conditions for it to breed and also to be contracted , which happens when it atomises and is breathed into the respiratory system , and even if it is present only certain people will contract it. Cooling towers are a good culprit for this , where water is held at a certain temperature allowing for the legionella's to take hold and breed , that is why you never hear of people contracting it at home , but moreso in hospitals , hotels , shopping centres and the like , where cooling towers are used.

My :twocents:

• Like 6

thebob

I look forward to your next query about the proper use of night soil for vegetable gardens!

So you need someone who knows their shit?

• Like 7

lamoe

The condensate itself is pure, and if collected on a sanitary surface would be drinkable. I guess I shouldn't have said coming out of an ac because we know there is a lot of potential contamination there. Same as rainwater, which is pure until it hits some sort of contaminant.

Actually rain is not pure. Same as whatever pollution is in the air with be in the run off water. Think Acid Rain. The A/C run off is exactly the same as dew on your grass / plants, fog, clouds. 

formationofchart.jpg

Headshot

Thank you great master. It's fixed now. :biggrin_01:

Edited by Headshot

Joel

Just think of all the jeepney smoke that gets trapped on the coils of an A/C unit. Yuck.

Paul

Actually rain is not pure. Same as whatever pollution is in the air with be in the run off water. Think Acid Rain. The A/C run off is exactly the same as dew on your grass / plants, fog, clouds. 

When I set up the rain water harvesting system at the farm last year, I added a 50 micron intake filter for the pump, and a 4" x 20" filtering system on the pressure side of the pump, to filter the rain water. Little to no industry is here to dump impurities into the atmosphere. But, I am pretty sure there is some degree of pollution in the air, even 30 kms from the nearest city. I haven't inspected the filter since it was installed. It will be interesting to see what it looks like, though, after having been used for a year. 

Just think of all the jeepney smoke that gets trapped on the coils of an A/C unit. Yuck.

Although my apartment in Carcar was well below the road (provincial highway), I had to have my air-con cleaned every three months, and it was always pretty dirty. The pollution from the cars, trucks, buses and jeepneys, certainly did not leave that air very clean. 

Where I live now, is probably some of the cleanest air I have experienced, in all of Southeast Asia. 

• Like 1

lamoe

I haven't inspected the filter since it was installed. It will be interesting to see what it looks like, though, after having been used for a year. 

Be sure to  wear gloves 

"It's alive"  Actually that's not that much of a joke.

Paul

Be sure to wear gloves 

I meant, whomever I pay to open it up and clean / replace the filters. :D

For Real

Distilled or not, it's probably safer to wash the clothes in this water than to use the mopped up urine from the recent pissing match.

• Like 2