Sign in to follow this  
colemanlee

Using the water from the AC

Headshot

I am not half right, you were wrong. You could produce water by burning Hydrogen in Oxygen at a temperature over 100C and then condense the resulting vapour.

It would never have been evaporated and most certainly would be distilled water.

The condensate from an AC has evaporated, not by boiling and it has condensed. It is distilled water.

You're funny, Bob. You tell me I'm wrong...and then you go on to describe the process of using heat to combine the atoms in water the water to a vapor state and then cooling it back to a liquid state. The difference between that and an air conditioner is that the air conditioner does NOT use heat to a vapor state of water. The vapor state is already inherent in the air around you. In other words, the air conditioner is only performing half of the distillation process...condensation. Besides, what you described...combining hydrogen with oxygen in a heated environment is a recipe for an explosion. You will get water, but by the chemical process of combining atoms to create molecules. Distillation does nothing to change the water molecule itself.

Edited by Headshot

Paul

You know, it's legal for you two to marry now, in the US. I mean, if you two are going to argue like you are married, you might as well be married. 

• Like 8

thebob

You're funny, Bob. You tell me I'm wrong...

You are wrong. You don't need to "boil" water to distill it, you just have to evaporate it. This happens below boiling point as well as above it.

• Like 3

thebob

In other words, the air conditioner is only performing half of the distillation process...condensation.

That doesn't alter the fact that the product is distilled water.

Besides, what you described...combining hydrogen with oxygen in a heated environment is a recipe for an explosion.

And you do it every time you start the engine of your car. You produce water by combining the hydrogen in the fuel with the oxygen in the air.

You know, it's legal for you two to marry now, in the US. I mean, if you two are going to argue like you are married, you might as well be married. 

Yes and you can sign up for Obama care as well.

• Like 2

Kabisay-an gid

It doesn't matter to me whether Headshot or Bob is right about the distillation thing.

One thing I know for sure is that one would have to be daft to drink water straight from the AC, because it contains particulates from the air which is drawn over its coils.

• Like 4

Paul

It doesn't matter to me whether Headshot or Bob is right about the distillation thing.

Ssssshhhhh. <whispering> We are waiting to see who gives up first. 

• Like 1

colemanlee

One thing I know for sure is that one would have to be daft to drink water straight from the AC, because it contains particulates from the air which is drawn over its coils.

Which is exactly why I said that we only use it for stuff like washing, just like I only use the deep well for the same thing...in an emergency or power loss it just gives you more options....if you didnt have a deep well then its a free source of water just like rainwater is....

• Like 3

Kabisay-an gid

Which is exactly why I said that we only use it for stuff like washing, just like I only use the deep well for the same thing...in an emergency or power loss it just gives you more options....if you didnt have a deep well then its a free source of water just like rainwater is....

Yes, I understand that you weren't claiming it's fit for drinking, but some here appeared to be at least suggesting it. Headshot is correct that it's not fit for drinking. My two cents. Cheers! :)

thebob

It would be OK to drink after filtering and boiling. The filter should last a long time because it would only trap particulate from the condenser.

In a pinch it would be your best source to drink with just rudimentary pasturation. Keep it in a dark container in the sun, or in a dark container, inside a larger clear one.

• Like 3

Headshot

It would be OK to drink after filtering and boiling.

So would water from a puddle.

The filter should last a long time because it would only trap particulate from the condenser.

You obviously don't own an air conditioner in the Philippines. The coils need to be thoroughly cleaned every three months or they plug up from all of the particulate matter and microorganisms, and the condensate (water) carries a good portion of this stuff off. Filters to remove the particulate matter AND microorganisms from water must be very fine, and they do plug up. I have the same kind of filtering for the water from my well. I am glad to see that you have finally acknowledged that the coils are a condenser...and NOT an entire distillery:cool:

In a pinch it would be your best source to drink with just rudimentary pasturation.

Maybe. But then that would require either boiling the water or heating it to above 180 degrees F for a longer period to kill all of the nasties in the water. The point that I was making in the first place is the the condensate coming from your AC coils is NOT distilled drinking water like you buy in water bottles. It is chock-full of things that can kill you if you drink it, and that can cause clothes to mold and mildew if rinsed in it after washing. That is especially true if those clothes are then folded and stored in a drawer.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

poby

The condensate is pure H2O.  As pure as any distillation method.  However, the coils are coated with particulate and bacteria and such immediately find their way into the condensate so that the pure H2O is immediately contaminated and undrinkable.

• Like 1

thebob

The condensate is pure H2O.  As pure as any distillation method.  However, the coils are coated with particulate and bacteria and such immediately find their way into the condensate so that the pure H2O is immediately contaminated and undrinkable.

This means that as a base it is easier to remove the suspended particles than the dissolved ones that are in water that isn't distilled.

• Like 1

Raptor

chalk-full

*Chock