Sign in to follow this  
colemanlee

Using the water from the AC

colemanlee

Just wondering if any of you guys use the water from the AC...Ive got one of those blue 55 gal barrels set up so both AC units drain into it...seems to work great, just use the water for washing clothes etc...

• Like 1

Jawny

The only hesitation I would have is the slime buildup that may occur in the drainage pipe/tubing. Not likely this would be an issue for laundry, though.

• Like 1

Skywalker

Isn't the water from an AC unit distilled?

I use distilled water in my iron to prevent limescale build up.

• Like 3

BossHog

bit of Tanduay 65 and some ice 

and I'd say you're good to go!

• Like 2

Topper

:rofl:   I like the way you think BossHog. Waste not, want not.

Alfred E. Neuman

He meant aircon, not ACDC. I'm more on VanHalen.

easy44

Yes, the water as it comes out of the ac is distilled and pure. It's what gets into it afterwards that is the problem.

• Like 1

Headshot

Actually, water condensing out of the air on a cold surface (the AC coils) is NOT distilled, is NOT pure, and is NOT healthy. Water must first be boiled to be distilled. The water draining from the AC has never been boiled. Add to that the fact that and AC coil is a great breeding ground for mold and mildew, and the spores from those organisms are in the water draining off. There is also bacteria living in the water found in AC coils, which also runs off as the AC drains. Use the water if you want, but it might be better suited for watering the garden than for washing the clothes or for drinking along with weak run and ice.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 6

woodchopper

legionaires disease?

• Like 3

Headshot

legionaires disease?

Yep! That too.

easy44

The condensate itself is pure, and if collected on a sanitary surface would be drinkable. I guess I shouldn't have said coming out of an ac because we know there is a lot of potential contamination there. Same as rainwater, which is pure until it hits some sort of contaminant.

• Like 3

thebob

Actually, water condensing out of the air on a cold surface (the AC coils) is NOT distilled, is NOT pure, and is NOT healthy. Water must first be boiled to be distilled. The water draining from the AC has never been boiled.

That isn't true at all. Distilled water has to condense from vapour, and that is exactly what the water from an AC is, condensate.

• Like 3

Headshot

That isn't true at all. Distilled water has to condense from vapour, and that is exactly what the water from an AC is, condensate.

You are half right. Distillation is the result of combining two processes...evaporation and condensation. You must first evaporate a liquid (normally using a heat source) BEFORE you condense it or it is NOT distillation. It is just condensation. With water, it is first boiled and then cooled to create distilled water. Here is the definition from dictionary.com...

Distillation - the volatilization or evaporation and subsequent condensation of a liquid, as when water is boiled in a retort and the steam is condensed in a cool receiver.

However, that is only part of the story. The inside of an air conditioner is filthy with microorganisms and particulate matter from the air, and any water that has condensed there is NOT pure or drinkable or even fit for household uses.

• Like 2

thebob
You are half right. Distillation is the result of combining two processes...evaporation and condensation. You must first evaporate a liquid (normally using a heat source) BEFORE you condense it or it is NOT distillation.

I am not half right, you were wrong. You could produce water by burning Hydrogen in Oxygen at a temperature over 100C and then condense the resulting vapour.

It would never have been evaporated and most certainly would be distilled water.

The condensate from an AC has evaporated, not by boiling and it has condensed. It is distilled water.

Edited by thebob
  • Like 2