Davao Now 4th Safest City in the World (Numbeo)

Phillovescebu

"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

I will take my chances unmonitored TYVM. And that is one of many problems I have with Singapore. About the only good I see in Singapore is purely financial. Their economy is good. Their taxes are low. Unfortunately, so is their quality of life. Too many fines and regulations and definitely too much surveillance. Although as I understand it London is worse. I couldn't leave in either.

"Freedom is a woman walking alone at night without fear of being assaulted.Freedom is knowing that when you come home after work, your house hasn't been robbed. Freedom is knowing that criminals are more afraid of the law than citiizens afraid of criminals. " Lee Kwan Yu.

I lived in New York when Rudy Giuliani turned that city from a dangerous place to one of the safest big cities of the world. He did this by beefing up the police force, enforcing the existing laws and using CCTV to catch criminals. I NEVER felt that my personal freedom was being compromised. In fact, I felt safer and more secure than ever! Most people who complain about government intervention with CCTV have never been a victim of serious crime! I've seen people gunned down on the street, drug dealers doing business openly with little fear of reprisal and families destroyed by gang violence! CCTV is fine with me if it means I am safer!

Edited by Phillovescebu
  • Like 2
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• That Masked Man

• Phillovescebu

• Tullioz

• RedRanger

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Numbeo is horrendously unreliable. All their data comes from people that visit their site and provide feed back. Not hard to manipulate. Does anyone here actually believe this? User opinion.  Its

1) Enforcing traffic laws 2) Enforcing no smoking rules (Cebu actually has those) 3) CCTV everwhere monitored by law enforcement to catch crimes in progress 4) Honest politicians that dont shake d

I just meant that anyone who has lived here for any amount of time would realize that perception trumps logic and reality almost every time ! 

Posted Images

RedRanger

"Freedom is a woman walking alone at night without fear of being assaulted.Freedom is knowing that when you come home after work, your house hasn't been robbed. Freedom is knowing that criminals are more afraid of the law than citiizens afraid of criminals. " Lee Kwan Yu.

I lived in New York when Rudy Giuliani turned that city from a dangerous place to one of the safest big cities of the world. He did this by beefing up the police force, enforcing the existing laws and using CCTV to catch criminals. I NEVER felt that my personal freedom was being compromised. In fact, I felt safer and more secure than ever! Most people who complain about government intervention with CCTV have never been a victim of serious crime! I've seen people gunned down on the street, drug dealers doing business openly with little fear of reprisal and families destroyed by gang violence! CCTV is fine with me if it means I am safer!

Not so sure about all the CCTV.  I just carry a gun where ever  I go, I don't worry about crime........

• Like 1
Phillovescebu

Hahaha. Brave words until someone pulls a gun on you and then someone needs to clean up your mess!

• Like 2
smokey

I agree but to show how much better life will be in the Philippines some posters need to show how bad it is where they live now...

Not so sure about all the CCTV.  I just carry a gun where ever  I go, I don't worry about crime........

Better stay in texas then foreigners are not trusted with guns only trike drivers

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
batman2525

Isthere any articles on how safe Cebu is?

No.

Ozepete

Quote:  Davao Now 4th Safest City in the World (Numbeo)         :ROFLMAO:  :ROFLMAO:  :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:  :ROFLMAO:  

Believe that, you believe anything! :snap:

• Like 1
rainymike

According to PNP statistics over the latest five year period, Davao had more murders, more homicides, more rapes and more crimes resulting in personal injury than Cebu. Only Numbskulls give Numbeo much credibility.

http://www.rappler.com/nation/127860-quezon-city-pnp-highest-index-crime

Here's a much better analysis that looks at crime by comparable time periods, by population size, and by city size. Results are quite different when you take these into account. (Jump to the ending conclusions for a summary if looking at all that data gives you a nosebleed). Hint: Cebu doesn't fare so well.

http://monkshobbit.blogspot.com/2016/04/crime-index-rankings-philippine-cities-reanalysis-pnp-data-cy-2010-2015.html

Now numbers and statistics are just that. For better or worse I don't think Numbeo is the best source of data, but it does somewhat represent people's perceptions of where they live. Now having spent time in Cebu, Davao, and Manila my perception that Davao is by far the safer city to live in. That's for a lot of reasons and not just the murder rate.

On the other hand, my perception is that Davao is not nearly as safe as my hometown of Honolulu. So why bother living in the Philippines -- well life is not just about avoiding risks. Some of us perceive a lot of benefits as well. So in that balance of risks and benefits - for me at this point in my life ... Davao is a better place for me. 

• Admin (Retired)
broden

i thought all the safest cities in the world would be in north korea

Kabisay-an gid

Here's a much better analysis that looks at crime by comparable time periods, by population size, and by city size. Results are quite different when you take these into account. (Jump to the ending conclusions for a summary if looking at all that data gives you a nosebleed). Hint: Cebu doesn't fare so well.

http://monkshobbit.blogspot.com/2016/04/crime-index-rankings-philippine-cities-reanalysis-pnp-data-cy-2010-2015.html

Now numbers and statistics are just that. For better or worse I don't think Numbeo is the best source of data, but it does somewhat represent people's perceptions of where they live. Now having spent time in Cebu, Davao, and Manila my perception that Davao is by far the safer city to live in. That's for a lot of reasons and not just the murder rate.

On the other hand, my perception is that Davao is not nearly as safe as my hometown of Honolulu. So why bother living in the Philippines -- well life is not just about avoiding risks. Some of us perceive a lot of benefits as well. So in that balance of risks and benefits - for me at this point in my life ... Davao is a better place for me.

bullshit+detector.jpg

Kabisay-an gid

Davao 4th largest Philippine city by population, Cebu 5th largest Philippine city by population. Land area doesn't mean squat. Figures for identical five year period:

Murders - Davao 1032, Cebu 806

Homicides - Davao 245, Cebu 189

Rapes - Davao 843, Cebu 272

Physical Injuries - Davao 9278, Cebu 6258

http://www.rappler.com/nation/127860-quezon-city-pnp-highest-index-crime

• Like 2
Davaoeno

It seems that all the drug dealers suffered physical injuries and were raped before they were killed.  

Next statistic ???

• Like 1
Johnny S

Hahaha. Brave words until someone pulls a gun on you and then someone needs to clean up your mess!

Live by the sword, die by the sword... :aggressive: