Davao Now 4th Safest City in the World (Numbeo)

That Masked Man

Population 120,000.

Small, but not THAT small. Unfortunately Japan has hundreds of cities that size or larger, so it is possible it just got overlooked. I was thinking you meant a place half that size or smaller.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• That Masked Man

• Phillovescebu

• Tullioz

• RedRanger

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Numbeo is horrendously unreliable. All their data comes from people that visit their site and provide feed back. Not hard to manipulate. Does anyone here actually believe this? User opinion.  Its

1) Enforcing traffic laws 2) Enforcing no smoking rules (Cebu actually has those) 3) CCTV everwhere monitored by law enforcement to catch crimes in progress 4) Honest politicians that dont shake d

I just meant that anyone who has lived here for any amount of time would realize that perception trumps logic and reality almost every time ! 

Posted Images

Humboldt

The 1,000 fine was a deal if he was caught speeding in Davao City. The first offense is around P1,772. Maybe the GF arguing with the officer paid off after all? Sounds like he may have been charged with reckless driving rather than speeding with the fine being P1,000. Here in Davao they use speed guns to determine the speed and apparently they catch a lot of drivers. According to the article in the link there were 28,337 people charged with speeding in 2014. It also seems to have helped in decreasing the amount of fatal accidents as well with a 60% drop. 

attachicon.gifaspeed.jpg

http://www.interaksyon.com/article/102416/fatal-road-crashes-drop-by-60-percent-in-davao-city-due-to-speed-limit-says-lto

WOW that's a lot of money in fines ,, they need to do that in Cebu , use the money collected in fines to fix the roads

Motorist are racing thru our small town... easy pickings .. and can save life's

• Like 1

There are many good things happening in Davao that Cebu should be doing and will be if Duterte gets elected and I am not talking about vigilante-ism.

• Like 1
RedRanger

There are many good things happening in Davao that Cebu should be doing and will be if Duterte gets elected and I am not talking about vigilante-ism.

My main concern is Davao might turn back into a unsafe city if he leaves.

I am good with him staying in Davao.......

There are many good things happening in Davao that Cebu should be doing

Such as??

Phillovescebu

1) Enforcing traffic laws

2) Enforcing no smoking rules (Cebu actually has those)

3) CCTV everwhere monitored by law enforcement to catch crimes in progress

4) Honest politicians that dont shake down visitors or businesses

5) A fair (higher) salary for police officers so they dont have to resort to extortion in order to feed their families

6) A long term infrastructure plan that is followed

7) A very unfriendly place for drug dealers where THEY feel threatened!

That is just a start. If Cebu did this, it would be a much better place to live!

• Like 4
RedRanger

5) A fair (higher) salary for police officers so they dont have to resort to extortion in order to feed their families

That is just a start. If Cebu did this, it would be a much better place to live!

Last time I was there, they were very strict on the no smoking

My buddy is set to retire this year from PNP, He is a captian,  He is set to get 3 million peso over 3 payments.  Not bad.........

• Like 1

If Cebu did this, it would be a much better place to live!

They'd still live in slum so what's the difference?

Phillovescebu

When you look down on people like that, you must live in a palace! NOT!

That Masked Man

Why would anyone want to be under CCTV surveillance? The most spied-upon people on earth, citizens of the UK and USA, are getting tired of it and starting to fight back. What would Filipinos choose to suffer that way? IMHO the benefits don't even come close to justifying the associated problems. I avoid CCTV-monitored locations like the plague.

USCebuana

Apple is fighting the FBI regarding the phones of the San Bernardino killers because of privacy rights. I really don't understand why people would choose to be under CCTV surveillance unless they are in a public area and there is notification. 

USCebuana

It's a different place, different culture. Cebuanos are more loud and individualistic. They are also more entrepreneurial and creative. Davaoenos are more respectful to authorities and more compliant. Cebu is a lot more dynamic and progressive though and what's more important more open and with more freedom. There is dissent and not one clan monopolizes the government. Hey, 800 commercial buildings are in the pipeline what more proof of investor confidence is there? I shudder to think of how the basic services will cope though.

Phillovescebu

Why would anyone want to be under CCTV surveillance? The most spied-upon people on earth, citizens of the UK and USA, are getting tired of it and starting to fight back. What would Filipinos choose to suffer that way? IMHO the benefits don't even come close to justifying the associated problems. I avoid CCTV-monitored locations like the plague.

CCTV can prevent crime! One is less likely to rob, beat or rape another if you know that your actions are being monitored! I understand the spied upon disdain for the cameras but if you had to choose between safety and privacy, which way do you choose? The ultimate CCTV place is Singapore and most residents there believe in the system.

Phillovescebu

It's a different place, different culture. Cebuanos are more loud and individualistic. They are also more entrepreneurial and creative. Davaoenos are more respectful to authorities and more compliant. Cebu is a lot more dynamic and progressive though and what's more important more open and with more freedom. There is dissent and not one clan monopolizes the government. Hey, 800 commercial buildings are in the pipeline what more proof of investor confidence is there? I shudder to think of how the basic services will cope though.

I live in Cebu and I agree with you. But when the government here chooses to enforce laws, I have seen people comply. A few months back, the news said that jeepneys who stopped in the middle of the street would be fined and that practice stopped overnight especially when traffic enforcers were around!

Cebu needs discipline and planning in order to make it a world class city ESPECIALLY with all the new buildings going up! If not, we will turn into another out of control city like Manila!

That Masked Man

CCTV can prevent crime! One is less likely to rob, beat or rape another if you know that your actions are being monitored! I understand the spied upon disdain for the cameras but if you had to choose between safety and privacy, which way do you choose? The ultimate CCTV place is Singapore and most residents there believe in the system.

"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

I will take my chances unmonitored TYVM. And that is one of many problems I have with Singapore. About the only good I see in Singapore is purely financial. Their economy is good. Their taxes are low. Unfortunately, so is their quality of life. Too many fines and regulations and definitely too much surveillance. Although as I understand it London is worse. I couldn't leave in either.