Davao Now 4th Safest City in the World (Numbeo)

JamesMusslewhite

I live in a city with no murders. How can it not be safer?

Doesn't Davo have one or more a week?

How big of a city?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• That Masked Man

• Phillovescebu

• Tullioz

• RedRanger

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Numbeo is horrendously unreliable. All their data comes from people that visit their site and provide feed back. Not hard to manipulate. Does anyone here actually believe this? User opinion.  Its

1) Enforcing traffic laws 2) Enforcing no smoking rules (Cebu actually has those) 3) CCTV everwhere monitored by law enforcement to catch crimes in progress 4) Honest politicians that dont shake d

I just meant that anyone who has lived here for any amount of time would realize that perception trumps logic and reality almost every time ! 

Posted Images

JamesMusslewhite

A quick Google search turned up 2015 figures on the first results page.

As of May 2015, there were already 216 homicides in Davao this year alone:

http://davaotoday.com/main/davao-city/crimes-drop-by-26-4-in-davao-city/

Compare that to Philadelphia, which had 246 murders in the entire year of 2014:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Philadelphia#Homicides

4th safest city in the world? Hahahahahahahaha! :)

Yes I guess the links you posted show the fundamental difference. In Philadelphia the number reflect drug dealers killing citizens, whereas the Davao numbers reflect the citizens killing drug dealers.

• Like 1

Davao I have been there 15 trips and never to date had those issues.....

But it is located in Mindanao.

• 2 months later...

I think the key for any foreigner going to Mindanao is to be with a filipino. I was just there, rented a car and drove from Davao to Gensan to Korandal to Lake Sebu for the awesome ziplines. I did get stopped in a speed trap and fined 1000 p. When the cop saw my California license he wanted to know about it he then forced me to follow him to the town hall to pay. My GF filipina argued with him in tagalog to reduce the fine, to no avail.  I think it would have been different had I been alone or not with my GF. I never felt that my safety was in jeopardy.

thebob

I'm presently in a small Japanese city that hasn't had a murder in the last 20 years. Theft here consists of stolen umbrellas and bicycles. Nobody locks their doors, and the populace consider littering to be a heinous crime.

Of course it doesn't even make the list.

• Like 3
Humboldt

I think the key for any foreigner going to Mindanao is to be with a filipino. I was just there, rented a car and drove from Davao to Gensan to Korandal to Lake Sebu for the awesome ziplines. I did get stopped in a speed trap and fined 1000 p. When the cop saw my California license he wanted to know about it he then forced me to follow him to the town hall to pay. My GF filipina argued with him in tagalog to reduce the fine, to no avail.  I think it would have been different had I been alone or not with my GF. I never felt that my safety was in jeopardy.

I guess they are trying to make Davao a bit safer , by slowing down some of the speeder's  

It's a crime they charged you the foreigner rate for a speeding ticket 1000p . I bet your GF was pretty upset . 

how did they determine your speed ? I never heard of anyone ever getting a speeding ticket in Cebu . 

I got caught once making a  illegal U turn police ask for lic and registration , of which I had either cost me 200 p on the spot  

Tullioz

I guess they are trying to make Davao a bit safer , by slowing down some of the speeder's  

It's a crime they charged you the foreigner rate for a speeding ticket 1000p . I bet your GF was pretty upset . 

how did they determine your speed ? I never heard of anyone ever getting a speeding ticket in Cebu . 

The 1,000 fine was a deal if he was caught speeding in Davao City. The first offense is around P1,772. Maybe the GF arguing with the officer paid off after all? Sounds like he may have been charged with reckless driving rather than speeding with the fine being P1,000. Here in Davao they use speed guns to determine the speed and apparently they catch a lot of drivers. According to the article in the link there were 28,337 people charged with speeding in 2014. It also seems to have helped in decreasing the amount of fatal accidents as well with a 60% drop. 

post-15209-0-53034700-1455071758_thumb.jpg

http://www.interaksyon.com/article/102416/fatal-road-crashes-drop-by-60-percent-in-davao-city-due-to-speed-limit-says-lto

DAVAO CITY - Davao City has achieved the primary objective of enforcing its Speed Limit Law as the Land Transportation Office (LTO) here reported a significant drop in road crashes from January to December in 2014.

During the Kapehan sa Dabaw Monday, LTO Regional Director Gomer Dy noted a more than 20-percent decrease in the number of minor road incidents and more than 60-percent drop in fatal road crashes last year.

The city implemented Executive Order 39, an order setting the speed limits for all kinds of motor vehicles within the territorial jurisdiction of Davao City, providing for its sanctions, and for other purposes. The EO enforced to address the alarming increase in traffic accidents due to reckless driving and speeding in 2013. The law was signed by Mayor Rodrigo Duterte in October 2013.

The order sets a 30 kilometer per hour speed limit within the downtown area and other build-up areas; 40 kph from Panacan Crossing to JP Laurel Avenue, from Ulas to Bolton Bridge, and from Ma-a Road to McArthur Highway; and, 60 kph maximum speed in national highways.

From January to December 2014, LTO recorded 28,337 apprehensions of speeding with a fine of almost P1,772 for first offense.

P56.6 million in fine

Dy admitted LTO earned huge revenues from violations of the speed limit with about P56.6 million in one year. Unfortunately, not a single centavo goes to the city’s coffers because all LTO revenues go to the national government.

Not only that, Dy said, if arrested for speeding and the violator was found to be driving without a license, no vehicle registration, and other violations, penalties could reach up to P10,000.

Earlier, the chief of the Traffic Management Center (TMC), Rhodelio Poliquit, also reported a huge drop of traffic crashes during the first months of the speed limit implementation at 42.9 percent.

TMC had reported about 4,000 traffic incidents from January to September 2014 from 7,000 in the same time period in 2013.

“We are committed to assist the city’s enforcement of the city speed limit,” Dy said.

LTO Assistant Regional Director Macario Gonzaga said LTO thanks the city government for despite not receiving any share from speed limit apprehensions, it has provided LTO the speed guns and motorcycle for their operations. 
Edited by USMC-Retired
Added Quote
  • Like 2

I'm presently in a small Japanese city that hasn't had a murder in the last 20 years. Theft here consists of stolen umbrellas and bicycles. Nobody locks their doors, and the populace consider littering to be a heinous crime.

Yes, yes... but do you have a cute Japanese girlfriend?

• Like 1
Davaoeno

The 1,000 fine was a deal if he was caught speeding in Davao City. The first offense is around P1,772. Maybe the GF arguing with the officer paid off after all? Sounds like he may have been charged with reckless driving rather than speeding with the fine being P1,000. Here in Davao they use speed guns to determine the speed and apparently they catch a lot of drivers. According to the article in the link there were 28,337 people charged with speeding in 2014. It also seems to have helped in decreasing the amount of fatal accidents as well with a 60% drop. 

attachicon.gifaspeed.jpg

http://www.interaksyon.com/article/102416/fatal-road-crashes-drop-by-60-percent-in-davao-city-due-to-speed-limit-says-lto

The most recent time i got caught for speeding [ the last of 6 times!] the fine was about 1300 pesps.  Its not so much the fine thats the problem, its that they seize your license and you have to line up for hours in the sun at the LTO to get your licence back !!

• Like 2

attachicon.gifaspeed.jpg

First speeding offense cost just about 1100P. I was doing 35 kph(at 35 kph it feels like my pick up is'nt even moving) going up JP Laurel last month and got a ticket.The 20 bucks was ok,they take your philippine license(you can still drive) and you wait a day or so until they turn it in at LTO then the real fun-you get to spend a good part of a day at LTO.

• Like 2
Tullioz

The most recent time i got caught for speeding [ the last of 6 times!] the fine was about 1300 pesps.

First speeding offense cost just about 1100P.

These examples just go to show that foreigners are treated more than fair in Davao City. Even the banner inside the LTO office mentions the fine as being P1,772 for the first offence, P2,772 for the second, and P5,000 for the third. Also, if you divide P56.6 million by the total number of tickets issued in 2014, the average fine comes to P1,997. Of course some of those would be for multiple violations, but you guys show that in Davao City anyway,  foreigners are not being discriminated against as far as traffic violations go. It seems foreigners also get a little favoritism. 

• Like 1
Davaoeno

These examples just go to show that foreigners are treated more than fair in Davao City. Even the banner inside the LTO office mentions the fine as being P1,772 for the first offence, P2,772 for the second, and P5,000 for the third. Also, if you divide P56.6 million by the total number of tickets issued in 2014, the average fine comes to P1,997. Of course some of those would be for multiple violations, but you guys show that in Davao City anyway,  foreigners are not being discriminated against as far as traffic violations go. It seems foreigners also get a little favoritism. 

I should have mentioned that the first 5 offences were handled at the roadside.  However, I  stupidly mentioned  that at a party to my neighbor [ whose father is Davao City Administrator] and very shortly thereafter all roadside methods stopped and you then had your license seized and had to pay the regular fine.   So anyone who suddenly had to pay the full fine and get their license taken away can thank me !!!  :ROFLMAO:

Bragging about getting around the law is never a good idea !! 

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 3
RedRanger

I have PULIS PNP shirt I wear on my motorbike in Digos City only (about 40 minutes south of downtown Davao), I have the sleeves cut so it is wife beater.  I get some people whom ask me if I am police.  It's pretty funny.

The mayor has went out of control in my opinion in Davao with the speed limits and the closing the bars early is a nut kicker for me, I enjoy staying late at the clubs on the weekends....

• Like 1
That Masked Man

Probably too small to be considered a "city" for purposes of the list. Different jurisdictions define "city" differently, so most polls, lists, etc. make up their own criteria for inclusion. E.g. Maza, ND was an incorporated city with 5 residents until it was dissolved in 2002.

thebob

Probably too small to be considered a "city" for purposes of the list. Different jurisdictions define "city" differently, so most polls, lists, etc. make up their own criteria for inclusion. E.g. Maza, ND was an incorporated city with 5 residents until it was dissolved in 2002.

Population 120,000.