Davao Now 4th Safest City in the World (Numbeo)

Tullioz

A quick Google search turned up 2015 figures on the first results page.

As of May 2015, there were already 216 homicides in Davao this year alone:

http://davaotoday.com/main/davao-city/crimes-drop-by-26-4-in-davao-city/

Compare that to Philadelphia, which had 246 murders in the entire year of 2014:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Philadelphia#Homicides

4th safest city in the world? Hahahahahahahaha! :)

That sounds pretty accurate. I was looking through the reports on the PNP website to get more official numbers, but the media has better access to the most recent information.

There is no doubt a lot of crime in Davao, but I still feel safer here walking in the middle of the night than I do in many other cities I have spent time in. As part of my exercise routine every other night, unless it is raining, I walk about 6 kilometers from where I work to my home. Sometimes it's around 6pm, other times well after midnight depending on how much I have to do, at no time have I ever felt uncomfortable. Sadly, I would have to think twice before I would walk the streets after midnight in my hometown and it has a population under 20,000.  

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• That Masked Man

• Phillovescebu

• Tullioz

• RedRanger

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Numbeo is horrendously unreliable. All their data comes from people that visit their site and provide feed back. Not hard to manipulate. Does anyone here actually believe this? User opinion.  Its

1) Enforcing traffic laws 2) Enforcing no smoking rules (Cebu actually has those) 3) CCTV everwhere monitored by law enforcement to catch crimes in progress 4) Honest politicians that dont shake d

I just meant that anyone who has lived here for any amount of time would realize that perception trumps logic and reality almost every time ! 

Posted Images

Kabisay-an gid

I live in a city with no murders. How can it not be safer?

Doesn't Davo have one or more a week?

Actually, Davao averages more than one murder a day.

Lots of Kool-Aid drinkers in Davao also. :)

Edited by Kabisay-an gid
  • Like 3

I just meant that anyone who has lived here for any amount of time would realize that perception trumps logic and reality almost every time

American culture is moving a lot in that direction...

not necessarily academicians and the more critical thinkers,

but the culture at large.

How else can you even explain post-modernism?

• Like 2
Baywak

The key statement here is "my personal experience".....As far as generally speaking  Davao is much safer than cebu...Im sure there are facts that back that up.........

As far as generally speaking goes-I lived in both Davao and Cebu for years-they both have risks and they both have crime and they both have safety risks.They both have different populations and size and yes people do get killed in Davao as they do in Cebu.So as far As I am concerned they are equal.Statistics on safety in either Cebu or Davao will do you no good if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time.

A mini example-we were living in Lanang,Davao in 2013,a guy who lived in Nova Tiera subdivision from New Zealand(Andrien) was waiting for a taxi while holding his infant daughter when a masked character on motorcycle tried grabbing his daughter,Adrien ran to get into a taxi the taxi took off and the guy on the motorcycle put a bolo blade through the roof of the taxi.Adien and his wife and daughter shortly after left for New Zealand.Some here might say this could happen also in Chicago and other US cities or elsewhere,Possibly so,maybe not the bolo part though.So I don't think it's the safety statistic broadcasted about a city but rather if you become a statistic.Would I still live in Davao-YES.

Tullioz

4th safest city in the world? Hahahahahahahaha! :)

Based on the 216 homicides committed through the end of May the City is averaging 1.4 homicides per day. If that continues through the rest of the year it will end up with somewhere around 500 to end the year. That would be very high for a city of just 1.5 million people.  In fact, that would put it in the rankings as being one of the most dangerous cities in the world with a homicide rate of 33 per 100,000. A comparison to the top 50 can be made here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_by_murder_rate

Even with the number of homicides being at 309 in 2009, the rate was still 20.6 per 100,000 which is much higher than many major cities worldwide. 

With homicide rates that high, there is no way Davao could be considered the #4 safest city in the world. 

That Masked Man

Based on the 216 homicides committed through the end of May the City is averaging 1.4 homicides per day. If that continues through the rest of the year it will end up with somewhere around 500 to end the year. That would be very high for a city of just 1.5 million people.  In fact, that would put it in the rankings as being one of the most dangerous cities in the world with a homicide rate of 33 per 100,000. A comparison to the top 50 can be made here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_by_murder_rate

Even with the number of homicides being at 309 in 2009, the rate was still 20.6 per 100,000 which is much higher than many major cities worldwide. 

With homicide rates that high, there is no way Davao could be considered the #4 safest city in the world. 

There is more to safety than just the murder rate. A city with a 33 homicide rate could be overall safer than one with a 20 if other violent crimes were much higher in the latter. How you balance different rates to get an overall score is a matter of interpretation. Unfortunately it looks like this site just took a poll of users, which is one of the worst ways to get such a score. I don't believe it is the 4th safest in the world either. 4th safest in SEA maybe.

• Like 1
That Masked Man

What city do you live in with no murders? A "city" of 2000 people? Even Irvine, CA, rated the safest city in the US by USA Today, had 2 murders in 2013 for a rate of just under 1 per 100,000. Awfully good, but not zero. Even Singapore has a rate of 0.3. For countries, only tiny Monaco and Palau  (<60,000 citizens between them) had zero in 2013.

• Administrator
Salty Dog

What city do you live in with no murders? A "city" of 2000 people? Even Irvine, CA, rated the safest city in the US by USA Today, had 2 murders in 2013 for a rate of just under 1 per 100,000. Awfully good, but not zero. Even Singapore has a rate of 0.3. For countries, only tiny Monaco and Palau  (<60,000 citizens between them) had zero in 2013.

Pop 22,000.

This is most current historical data.

Capture.JPG

Since this data there was one murder in Jan 2014.

Granted there are many more stats used to figure out safest city than just murders.
Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 1
Baywak

ThatMaskedMan-And a city of 20 murders can also have a lot more violent crimes then a city of 33 murders.

Then there are against foreigner only crimes in every city in the Pinas like you overcharged me for that Mango   :crazy:   .I don't find any one place in the Philippines any safer then any other.Even Manila,In Manila some might tell you don't go to Davao,not safe.When leaving Davao for Manila some might tell you don't go Manila,not safe.They are all unsafe....The whole planet can be unsafe if everywhere you go you act as if its unsafe,then what you don't want might come to you even moreso.

Edited by Baywak
  • Like 1
That Masked Man

ThatMaskedMan-And a city of 20 murders can also have a lot more violent crimes then a city of 33 murders.

Then there are against foreigner only crimes in every city in the Pinas like you overcharged me for that Mango   :crazy:   .I don't find any one place in the Philippines any safer then any other.Even Manila,In Manila some might tell you don't go to Davao,not safe.When leaving Davao for Manila some might tell you don't go Manila,not safe.They are all unsafe....The whole planet can be unsafe if everywhere you go you act as if its unsafe,then what you don't want might come to you even moreso.

And in the Visayas (Cebu and Iloilo where i spent most of my time), they will tell you BOTH are too dangerous! There ARE places in the Philippines I will not go. Most of them are rural. In the US there are also places I won't go, nearly all of them urban. I suspect the same would be true for any country aside from maybe a few tiny ones. I would not be surprised if every place in Vatican City was pretty safe, but any country with several million people or more, not so much.

• Like 1
SomeRandomGuy

I wonder how many murders go unreported or how many crimes for that matter.

I imagine it is more than a few.

N

Edited by SomeRandomGuy
Tullioz

There is more to safety than just the murder rate. A city with a 33 homicide rate could be overall safer than one with a 20 if other violent crimes were much higher in the latter. How you balance different rates to get an overall score is a matter of interpretation. Unfortunately it looks like this site just took a poll of users, which is one of the worst ways to get such a score. I don't believe it is the 4th safest in the world either. 4th safest in SEA maybe.

You are correct, the homicide rate alone is not enough to come to a conclusion, Looking at the total of index crimes as reported in the story (9000+ through May so far and 12,000+ during the same time last year) we can get a better Idea. It is safe to say that in a given year there are around 20,000 index crimes per year which are crimes against persons. This would give Davao an overall crime rate of 1,333 per 100,000 which is actually very low.  So who really knows where Davao ranks worldwide.  While a person is more likely to be murdered in Davao compared to most major cities in the world, they are still less likely to be the victim of a crime in general. That is of course if these numbers are accurate. There are no doubt many robberies, assaults and rapes here that never get reported. I know of some incidents myself that were not reported.

• Like 1
USMC-Retired

Shocked Detroit did not make the top ten. Philippines under reports all crime. Mainly because of the system by which they do it.

Edited by USMC-Retired
  • Like 1
  • 3 months later...
RedRanger

I've lived in both Cebu and Davao and my personal experience is they are both equal as far as being safe goes.

I don't know what determines "safe"

Cebu is only country I caught a kid trying to pickpocket me, I have only made about 6 trips to Cebu but I always get prostitutes bothering during the day. I have had some taxi drivers try to overcharge me

Davao I have been there 15 trips and never to date had those issues.....

• Like 1
I <3 Cebu

Me too, there was like one this year and it was not a random attack but a civil dispute - guy got stabbed by a chick for whatever reason.., meanwhile over in murika ??? lol