Davao Now 4th Safest City in the World (Numbeo)

Borinquen

For what it's worth, as i pack things, and get ready to head back to the states. Gives me some small comfort as i leave the family for a few months.

Davao 4th safest city

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

By

RUJI PETER S. ABAT

DAVAO -- After ranking ninth safest in the world in the user-contributed survey site Numbeo.com, Davao City is now at fourth place.

Last month’s survey showed that Davao City was ranked ninth after posting a safety index of 80.69 or a crime index of 19.31.

But based on this month’s rating, Davao City had increased its safety index to 82.06 or a crime index of 17.94.

Davao City is trailing Seoul, South Korea by only a few decimal points. Seoul ranked third with a safety index of 82.64 or crime index of 17.36. Singapore ranked second, with a safety index of 82.70 or a crime index of 17.30. Osaka, Japan, which is the safest in the world based on Numbeo, is far ahead with a safety index of 90.42 or 9.58 crime index.

Trailing behind Davao City are Espoo, Finland with 81.16; Bergen, Norway with 80.98; Heidelberg, Germany with 80.78; and Stuttgart, Germany with 80.53.

(Sun.Star Davao)

Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on June 24, 2015.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• That Masked Man

• Phillovescebu

• Tullioz

• Davaoeno

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Numbeo is horrendously unreliable. All their data comes from people that visit their site and provide feed back. Not hard to manipulate. Does anyone here actually believe this? User opinion.  Its

1) Enforcing traffic laws 2) Enforcing no smoking rules (Cebu actually has those) 3) CCTV everwhere monitored by law enforcement to catch crimes in progress 4) Honest politicians that dont shake d

I just meant that anyone who has lived here for any amount of time would realize that perception trumps logic and reality almost every time ! 

Posted Images

Phillovescebu

Isthere any articles on how safe Cebu is?

Baywak

I've lived in both Cebu and Davao and my personal experience is they are both equal as far as being safe goes.

• Like 1
liquido

I've lived in both Cebu and Davao and my personal experience is they are both equal as far as being safe goes.

The key statement here is "my personal experience".....As far as generally speaking  Davao is much safer than cebu...Im sure there are facts that back that up.........

Wrye83

How do they come up with these safety ratings? Are they user opinion, crime statistics or by some other method?

• Like 2
SomeRandomGuy

Numbeo is horrendously unreliable.

All their data comes from people that visit their site and provide feed back.

Not hard to manipulate.

Does anyone here actually believe this?

How do they come up with these safety ratings? Are they user opinion, crime statistics or by some other method?

User opinion.

Its all bullshit statistics

• Like 5
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

I live in a city with no murders. How can it not be safer?

Doesn't Davo have one or more a week?

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 3
Wrye83

ll their data comes from people that visit their site and provide feed back.

So it is based more off of perception and people showing up to vote based off of their city "pride". Not so much the actual facts.

• Like 2
Davaoeno

So it is based more off of perception and people showing up to vote based off of their city "pride". Not so much the actual facts.

Your profile says " current resident"    Is that even possible ??   :ROFLMAO:

• Like 1
jtmwatchbiz

I live in a city with no murders. How can it not be safer?

Doesn't Davo have one or more a week?

that's not the same

• Like 1
Alfred E. Neuman

As reliable as Agoda.

• Like 3
Tullioz

This is correct, personal perception by no means is a way to accurately describe a cities actual safety or level of crime. Those rankings put out by Numbeo can be quite misleading. While I personally feel very safe in Davao, that does not mean that there is not a lot of crime. For example. In the third quarter of 2014 there were 5,166 crimes committed in Davao City. That comes to 56 crimes being committed every day. That number includes all crimes, but 2,255 of those crimes (25 per day) were against people and property. So Davao is by far not a crime free city.

As for serious crimes in Davao City, it was hard to find any numbers, but I was able to find that in 2009 there were 2247 assaults, 463 murders and 101 cases of rape. It would be interesting to see some more recent numbers.

To use the city of Philadelphia in the United States for a comparison which has around the same population as Davao (1.5 million). In 2009: 8928 assaults, 302 murders and 896 rapes.

Edited by Tullioz
  • Like 3
Wrye83

Your profile says " current resident" Is that even possible ??

What does that have to do with crime in Davao?
  • Like 1
Davaoeno

What does that have to do with crime in Davao?

I just meant that anyone who has lived here for any amount of time would realize that perception trumps logic and reality almost every time ! 

• Like 4
Kabisay-an gid

As for serious crimes in Davao City, it was hard to find any numbers, but I was able to find that in 2009 there were 2247 assaults, 463 murders and 101 cases of rape. It would be interesting to see some more recent numbers.

A quick Google search turned up 2015 figures on the first results page.

As of May 2015, there were already 216 homicides in Davao this year alone:

http://davaotoday.com/main/davao-city/crimes-drop-by-26-4-in-davao-city/

Compare that to Philadelphia, which had 246 murders in the entire year of 2014:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Philadelphia#Homicides

4th safest city in the world? Hahahahahahahaha! :)