Sign in to follow this  
Aerosick

10 lbs. fire extinguisher (ABC Type) In Cebu City

Aerosick

We've been offered a new one for PHP 6,250.00. Is this about the going price for these???

Paul

Holy Cow! I have never purchased a fire extinguisher. But, daauum, that seems pretty costly, doesn't it?

woodchopper

thats a big banger

Jawny

Too much cost. They are available in Ace Hardware in the SM mall. As I recall, around 2000 pesos for that size. Many other places as well.

Be sure to find a place that can repressurize

to_dave007

Can't remember if mine is 5 or 10 lbs.  Was the size required for my house.  I know it was around 2500 peso..  Your price seems high.

Edited by to_dave007

Aerosick

I told my wife to reply to them and ask why her new condo requires this. It has a fire sprinkler system and alarm built in. Why is this needed???

:crazy:

to_dave007

In my case the fire extinguisher was REQUIRED prior to receiving an Occupancy Permit for my house.

• Like 1

Aerosick

In my case the fire extinguisher was REQUIRED prior to receiving an Occupancy Permit for my house.

Sounds like a Cebu City Law maybe???

Edited by Aerosick

to_dave007

lol.. No. provincial town.. But actually they do have a building code and it's supposedly required.. .. Was a small price to pay to get the permit/.

• Like 1

Aerosick

lol.. No. provincial town.. But actually they do have a building code and it's supposedly required.. .. Was a small price to pay to get the permit/.

What size is yours & how much did it cost???

Jawny

Use of a portable fire extinguisher is typically to stop a fire before it gets to the point the sprinkler system is activated. Stove fires are the best example of this. Quick use of a portable extinguisher will keep damage to a minimum.

As to cost, if this included a monthly check and gas refill, then the price may be worth it. Otherwise, you're just getting a padded price.

• Like 1

Aerosick

Thanks all. This gives her some shopping ideas for when she arrives...

to_dave007

I know it was around 2,500 peso.. if not exactly.. . and I don't remember it being 10 pounds.. i think it was 5 pounds, but memory fades.

As for recharging it.. I have a concrete house, with ceramic tile floor, and hardiplex cement board ceiling, with metal roof and metal trusses.  Yes I have some wooden furniture, but really I don't expect the house to burn.  We actually cook outside in dirty kitchen, so even less risk of fire inside house .  I bought the fire extinguisher because I had to.. But I doubt it will ever get used

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 2

thebob

I bought the fire extinguisher because I had to.. But I doubt it will ever get used

We all hope that.

I'd have bought 2 smaller ones rather than 1 big one. The faster you can get to it better so having 2 spread out makes sense.

• Like 1

easy44

The company selling the extinguishers, in some cases, has been known to have family ties to the building inspectors. Nice side business with a captive customer base! Edited by easy44