throw away ticket

Tullioz

Don't they have to pay for the ticket upfront and then get the refund at some later date?

They apparently have enough capital to wait for the refunds that take time to process to be returned. I know I would never be able to start up a service like this. 

Edited by Tullioz
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Salty Dog

• SumDumJoe

• Tullioz

• SkyMan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

air asia has a very current "piso sale" on right now mate!

516 pso from manila to kl from feb next yr with air asia

This is true.   I usually find myself doing this on the other end of things so to speak. I usually book my wife a refundable ticket or 24 hour cancellation when we go on holiday in order to address

SumDumJoe

I just booked mine this morning. I figure the risk/reward is worth it. I filled out one form on the onwardticket website and had an official looking onward ticket within two hours. 

I will find out on Thursday if it works. I will roll the dice for $4.95. If not I will just buy a fully refundable ticket and cancel it as soon as I get through immigration at CEB.

My wife was a travel agent for five years and used to do something like this all the time. When she would find really good fares for routes that most of her customers flew, she would reserve those fares in made up names. Then she had seven days to either sell it to someone or release that reservation back into the system. When she had really good fares that she could not sell in one week, she would stay up late release the ticket just before midnight and then re-reserve just after midnight. Maybe slightly unethical for lack of a better word, but she made a lot of money that way especially during high travel seasons. 

samatm

We flew Cathay Pacific several times between Cebu-Hong Kong and they ALWAYS asked for a onward ticket. The advice we got from Cathay in Cebu was to buy a full fare ticket and stop at their office when you landed and apply for a refund. If it was not bought in the Philippines, it was 100% refundable. YMMV 

errrrr  I bought plenty of CX tix and had them refunded.. there was ALWAYS a   $25 refund fee.    but it stil beat having to always to look for cheap throwaway.     I kept my CX tix with me .. until it was nearly ready to expire and then refunded it.  costing 25 bucks.    

Tullioz

I just booked mine this morning. I figure the risk/reward is worth it. I filled out one form on the onwardticket website and had an official looking onward ticket within two hours. 

I will find out on Thursday if it works. I will roll the dice for $4.95. If not I will just buy a fully refundable ticket and cancel it as soon as I get through immigration at CEB.

My wife was a travel agent for five years and used to do something like this all the time. When she would find really good fares for routes that most of her customers flew, she would reserve those fares in made up names. Then she had seven days to either sell it to someone or release that reservation back into the system. When she had really good fares that she could not sell in one week, she would stay up late release the ticket just before midnight and then re-reserve just after midnight. Maybe slightly unethical for lack of a better word, but she made a lot of money that way especially during high travel seasons. 

It will definitely work. These services probably have the same options as travel agencies do. I really don't know and it may be what these companies are doing rather than tying up their capital. Avoiding paying for an onward ticket can also be done by booking a flight through a company like orbitz.com. They also have a policy where you can book your flight and cancel the following day. There are no penalties, but you will not be refunded the service charges which are just a few dollars.

samatm

If it was reserved in some fake name .. how was she able to transfer the  booking to  another at the same cheap fare?   

SumDumJoe

If it was reserved in some fake name .. how was she able to transfer the  booking to  another at the same cheap fare?  

I just asked her. Dang she is devious I need to be careful. 

Here is what she would do. She would save the cheapest fares under fake names. Then when a customer came to buy a ticket from her, she would put that customer on a wait list for that particular fare price code. There are codes for the different price points. Then she would cancel one of the fake named tickets she was holding and the wait list customer would get the fare in their name. Pretty diabolical and very profitable. 

• Like 1
SumDumJoe

Disappointed to report Cathay Pacific never asked to see my "Onward Ticket" so I have no idea if it would have worked or not. .

My feeling is that it would have satisfied the requirement, but you never know.

Either way it only cost me $4.95 USD so I feel like I came out a winner.

• Like 1
NOSOCALPINOY

Disappointed to report Cathay Pacific never asked to see my "Onward Ticket" so I have no idea if it would have worked or not. .

Good on you though! You can always try it again on your next vacation out of the Philippines.   

AirAsia----MNL-BKI    Depart Sep 06,2015        I paid 2158 php for this ticket a few days ago

Recently flew Ceb Pacific, Bkk to Mnl ..must have struck a check-in person in training, as she had a supervisor overseeing her. The supervisor reminded her to ask for ongoing ..then showed her how to enter the details of my ongoing flight onto the computer system. I,ve never seen that before ..usually just glance at it... this the first time Ive ever used a dodgy one ( flight booked by travel agent, itinerary printed, and then flight cancelled ) so I was a bit nervous, usually just use a throwaway. Luckily the ongoing was with a different airline, and was acceptable enough to get me through.
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
woodchopper

4 those of u interested,,Air Asia has a promo sale happening soon(2moro or next day).up to oct 2016 dep dates!

• Administrator
Salty Dog

Cheap Cebu Pacific tickets promo on now:

CEBPAC_zpsm9gc0oxg.jpg

Why would you make a seat reservation on a throwaway ticket for an additional P150?