How fast can an Aussie get married in The Philippines

spydoo

Gday.

My cuz is flying over to The Philippines, leaving Monday and arriving Tuesday. He's there for 23 days and hoping to get hitched while he is there. 

He'll be in Manila for one day then in Tacloban the rest of the time.

Is this doable? Will he be able to get his CENOMAR in time? Are there any other issues?

Thanks heaps :D

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• spydoo

• oztony

• SkyMan

• colemanlee

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is certainly worth the effort to have everything in order , it is a marriage being prepared for not a speed date night , they did actually check my schedule to make sure I was in country for 21 day

I think the difficulty will be getting the Certificate of no impediment and perhaps the CENOMARS.  Has he met her in person?    

To be honest , unless he has to sort out a heap of other stuff at the embassy , darting into the registry in the city is probably less of a hassle than going to the embassy in Manila , and then waitin

Posted Images

oztony

Not sure these days , as I was married in front of a judge there well over a decade ago , but the rule used to be that you had to be in country for a minimum of 21 days continuously before you could get married , before all the other "know everythings" jump onto this comment , that is what we were told by the judge that married us on Negros , so that is what we done.

So if it is still the same , he may be flying home the day after his wedding....

Edited by oztony
  • Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Anything is possible in the Philippines when you know or pay the right people. 

I was never asked to show my passport at any point during my marriage process. I could have been someone else for all they knew I guess. Not sure if they normally check the 21 day rule. Also, things vary from municipality to municipality. 

I never went to any classes or seminars or whatever other silly crap that you are supposed to do before getting married here either. 

The girl can and should start the process long before he gets here - ordering her Cenomar and all that crap. He doesn't get a CENOMAR, he gets "legal capacity to marry" from his embassy. I don't know how long that takes but Im sure either their website or someone who answers email at the consulate could tell you. 

I have to ask: What is the rush to get married? I have about a dozen or so Aussie mates and they have all taken their girlfriends to Oz for visits without being engaged let alone married. And why would he wait until a few days before he leaves to even start planning this? 

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 2
spydoo

I have to ask: What is the rush to get married? I have about a dozen or so Aussie mates and they have all taken their girlfriends to Oz for visits without being engaged let alone married. 

I think he wants to do the right thing by her. This isn't one of those Manila girls :)

And why would he wait until a few days before he leaves to even start planning this? 

We're just Aussies, mate.

Edit: I think the girl was organising it but didn't know the requirements for a foreigner.

Edited by spydoo
oztony

he gets "legal capacity to marry" from his embassy.

When I got married , I had to go to the Births Deaths and Marriages Registry in the city in Brisbane and get a certificate of no impediment which just confirmed that I had never previously been married , or for people that have been married it confirms that you are divorced.

And I would say that these are more than likely never checked or followed up on anyway....

• Like 1
spydoo

When I got married , I had to go to the Births Deaths and Marriages Registry in the city in Brisbane and get a certificate of no impediment which just confirmed that I had never previously been married , or for people that have been married it confirms that you are divorced.

And I would say that these are more than likely never checked or followed up on anyway....

Wow, they made you jump through all the hoops. I'm confident the embassy in Manila hands these out but I don't know how long it will take them from the time he drops the application in on Tuesday until the time the courier delivers it to Tacloban.

oztony

Wow, they made you jump through all the hoops. I'm confident the embassy in Manila hands these out but I don't know how long it will take them from the time he drops the application in on Tuesday until the time the courier delivers it to Tacloban.

To be honest , unless he has to sort out a heap of other stuff at the embassy , darting into the registry in the city is probably less of a hassle than going to the embassy in Manila , and then waiting for paperwork to show up , I always operate on whatever I , myself have to do isn't so bad because it reduces the risk factor of stuff ups from others.

• Like 3
spydoo

To be honest , unless he has to sort out a heap of other stuff at the embassy , darting into the registry in the city is probably less of a hassle than going to the embassy in Manila , and then waiting for paperwork to show up , I always operate on whatever I , myself have to do isn't so bad because it reduces the risk factor of stuff ups from others.

I believe you but he's on early flight on Monday so it's too late for that, now. I wish I'd thought of these matters earlier for him, but I didn't.

ozboy

Going back nearly 7 years now, we had to do basically what Tony mentioned plus marriage counselling classes, which we got excused out of after an hour, since most of the couples were in their late teens or twenties.   Had issues with our Parish priest as i was a divorced RC and seeing its not recognised, i needed a dispensation from the Vatican......so had a Mayoral ceremony...So not sure if you could pull it off in your time frame....

BTW if he hopes to take her back to OZ its better going the PMV route than spousal, as it's much easier. Plus she can get a tourist visa without the no further stay stamp. She can then stay in Oz till just before grant and then head home to Phil.......Anyway its now going to cost $7,000 just for the visa and will go up again till it becomes almost unaffordable for those on limited income....

colemanlee

Obviously I cant speak to the Australian embassy requirements....but I can speak some to the requirements in Tacloban, IF the girl has her cenomar and all her paperwork in order....and IF your cuz has all his...ie, birth certificate, certificate of no impediment, previous divorce papers, etc. the paperwork for getting a civil marriage usually takes a day...we had to "put in and appearance" with the doctor, counselor (marriage) etc. just to get the right stamps...for us it was no problem as we knew the mayor in the place we got married...Babatnon, just outside of Tacloban

Having said that, Ive been a witness on two different occasions for Filipino friends, and they DID have to go to an eight hour seminar on marriage etc..plus physicals.   All in all if Im remembering correctly, it took them a total of about a week to get everything in order....Ive never heard the 21 day rule, but that would not have applied to us or the folks I knew...if it were me, I would allow more time, like getting an extension on your cuz's visa just to be sure..but he can make that decision when he gets here...  

• Like 1
Jawny

The age of the woman can add some requirements with regard to parental permission/acknowledgment. Not sure of the exact requirements, but I think it applies to woman under 25. There are some requirements that can be overlooked, but have the potential to bite your ass later. For example, the marriage seminar can be obtained, sans attendance, but it is a possibility a careful bureaucrat will notice details such as entry and departure dates for the husband to be.

It does seem possible within a 23 day period. Close, but possible.

The certificate from the embassy for USA citizens is a process done in one day. Go in, pay fees, swear an oath, get the document.

Certified copies of birth certificates are needed from both. Hope he's brought that.

colemanlee

I think it applies to woman under 25

Thats correct...its one reason my wife and I waited for an extra year, as her parents are dead and just that alone would have presented problems

• Like 1
SkyMan

I think the difficulty will be getting the Certificate of no impediment and perhaps the CENOMARS.  Has he met her in person?

• Like 4
SkyMan

The certificate from the embassy for USA citizens is a process done in one day. Go in, pay fees, swear an oath, get the document.
Not applicable.

Also I would advise him not circumventing any requirements or loosing any receipts along the way as I'm guessing his plan is to take her back to Oz in which case she'll need the CFO and they will want to see proof of all the documents needed to get married.  No the MC itself is not proof.   :hyper:

• Like 2

The Pre-marriage Seminar may be a stumbling Block also, sometimes there can be a 14 day waiting time to do the Next seminar. Here on Negros there are held every  2 weeks only and these are by Appointment so if he misses this one!

JP :hi:

• Like 1