Sign in to follow this  
hyaku

Another going solar thread

Oz Jon

ok,,tx mate,,i might buy a small cdr panel and try!

Fine! - just be sure to buy stuff with compatible input voltages for your existing laptop/ cellphone chargers - presumably they will be 240V or 120V mains devices?

Or maybe buy versions intended to charge your devices from a car battery?

You need to do a bit of homework to make sure you buy the right stuff.

cheers, Oz Jon

• Like 1

Oz Jon

Jon, yes a controller as well. The ref is hardly ever on, ridiculously quiet, Seems to operate on a lower level compressor when fully cold. We have it on the lowest setting but the upper level still freezes if things are in there too long. My bill is down P300 since we gave away the old one. In all I consume around 150KWH a month with all appliances. 

I wasn't familiar with these Panasonic fridges - they are very impressive!

( but the prices gave me a bit of a shock! - been many years since I bought my fridge - "times they are a changing!")

Edited by Oz Jon

hyaku

Thanks a lot Jon and Paul. Looks like I might need another panel. The idea was to run the power source to one point in the house within easy reach of the appliances then plug in singularly at will. I was really hoping I could leave the ref plugged in most of the time to at least try to regain a bit of the initial outlay. Seems silly to only use the array when there is a brownout.

The ref construction was better than a Samsung. The door moulding extends into the shelves but Samsung just has clear thin plastic. No more cooler area with a thin plastic door either.

• Like 1

Oz Jon

I had a look at that Phil retailer's panel prices - very good at only about US$1/watt (assuming that they are good quality panels)

Paul
Thanks a lot Jon and Paul. Looks like I might need another panel. The idea was to run the power source to one point in the house within easy reach of the appliances then plug in singularly at will. I was really hoping I could leave the ref plugged in most of the time to at least try to regain a bit of the initial outlay. Seems silly to only use the array when there is a brownout.

I was suggesting 300 watts as a bare minimum, as it would put you around 6% charge rate. Keep an eye on your battery voltage. A 300 watts array will not keep up with a refrigerator, drawing .75kWh, 7 days per week. In fact, you could probably still get by with your 200 watts array, IF only using the batteries as a backup source (adding the transfer switch project into the equation). 

Please let us know how well it does perform. I am always interested. 

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

hyaku

Lol they have a 2 hp jenny at CDR King that puts out 650 watt max 800 Four litres of gasoline at 3,5 hours. That's around P400 for six hour use. Now I'm wondering.

Edited by hyaku

Paul

Lol they have a small jenny at CDR King that puts out 650 watt max 800 Four litres of gasoline at 3,5 hours. That's around P400 for six hour use.

Probably not very noisy, either. 

I know those inverter generators - Honda and Kawasaki make the most popular ones, seem to be very good sellers. You can also connect them together if more power is needed. A bit pricey in SEA, I would imagine. 

Oz Jon

Lol they have a 2 hp jenny at CDR King that puts out 650 watt max 800 Four litres of gasoline at 3,5 hours. That's around P400 for six hour use. Now I'm wondering.

Hey!

Be very careful!

A petrol engine may well be cheaper than solar+batteries+all the other stuff, but.......

Unless you buy a good (expensive, Jap, US, Euro ) brand they can be very troublesome - problems with them starting, overheating, voltage/frequency out of control, bits corroding  - on and on it goes!

I've had cheap ones on my yacht - I threw them overboard!  ( well out to sea in an environmentally sound way of course!)

They were destroying my electronics!

Edited by Oz Jon

hyaku

Forgot to say its a 2 stroke

Woolf

Forgot to say its a 2 stroke

I was just going to tell you they are 2 stroke, I had a look at then

and was thinking buying one for my computers when a brownout

but saw it is2 stroke so   NO

Oz Jon

I was just going to tell you they are 2 stroke, I had a look at then

and was thinking buying one for my computers when a brownout

but saw it is2 stroke so   NO

Being a 2-stroke is not the main problem.

Lack of control of the output voltage and frequency and wave shape is what will destroy the things you connect to it!

--- been there, done that!

buggarising about trying to get the thing to start is the least of your problems!

Edited by Oz Jon