Electrical Wiring and Grounding?

Ziggy Stardust

I stopped by Citi Hardware to guy 3 wire Romex (hot, neutral, ground) for a small wiring project but was told by the salesman there that 3 wire is not available in RP. When I asked how grounding was performed in RP the salesman told me that grounding was usually not done here.  So, if that is true, how have you who have done wiring installed a ground?  Do you just run an additional wire along with the Romex for a ground? Also, the shortest grounding spike that Citi Hardware had was 10 feet in length.  In my location that would penetrate the water table.  I do not know enough about wiring and grounding to know if that is an issue.  Is the grounding spike in the water table an issue?  If yes, how deep should a spike go to be effective? Thanks for your input.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Woolf

• RogerDat

• Cipro

• lopburi3

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just a warning if you are in a VECO supply area or any other area that are supplied with 2 hots   They use single pole light switches, so even when you turn the light switch off you still have 1

Most use the RCD or RCCB term these days as the "ground fault" is often read as to require a ground to operate which is not the case.  In the USA these are normally only used in wet point areas (pool/

My breaker box

Posted Images

colemanlee

I just run a separate third wire...so far havent had to drive a spike, just used the one driven for the phone system...seemed to work...food for thought, if your cable tv is snowy, use same ground for cable system....I would not worry about driving a ten foot rod into the water table, I doubt it would make a difference, you cant find three wire here also....

Mikala

Is the grounding spike in the water table an issue? If yes, how deep should a spike go to be effective? Thanks for your input.

Driving the stake into the water table isn't an issue, but you can also slant the stake so that it doesn't go into the water table. Either way, should be a good deep ground. Ground stakes sold in Hawaii are 8 feet long.

I would run a separate ground wire.

lopburi3

Here in Thailand 3 wire was not common until last few years but if you look it could be found.  I suspect it is also available in Philippines at larger shops that sell to contractors.  But yes you can use a single wire for ground if you have to do so.  As for long ground they are designed to be long to get deep into moist earth (so no problem with hitting water level - the ground is designed to trip your breaker without killing you rather than electrify anything).  

Ziggy Stardust

Thanks for all the useful information. 

thebob

Hunt downtown I've bought "twin and earth" cable there.

• Like 1
SkyMan
3 wire Romex (hot, neutral, ground) for a small wiring project

If you have VECO power you don't have a neutral either, you have two hot 110v lines on opposite phases.  You'll have to run a separate wire from the pole to get a neutral.

Are you sure you need a ground?

Edited by SkyMan
lopburi3

You should always have a ground as it helps to provide a good path to ground (without you being the path) and then a quick trip of fuse or circuit breaker.  Much better that this happens when the fault occurs rather than when you touch that 'hot' metal chassis - and only a ground is going to do that. 

SkyMan

The vast majority of RP homes don't have a ground.

RogerDat

Greetings! They use this here. it is placed before the main CB, its like a gfi for the whole house.

Modular DIN Rail Products
RCCB
> >>
A-32
NL1 Residual Current
Operated Circuit Breaker
without over-current
protection (Magnetic)
1. General
1.3 Approvals and certificates
Detailed information, please refer to Certificates Table
on the last page.
1.1 Function
Control electric circuits.
Protect people against indirect contacts and additional
protection against direct contacts.
Protect installations against fire hazard due to insulation fau
lts.
Residual current circuit breakers are used in housing, tertiary
sector and industry.
1.2 Selection
Detectable wave form
AC class
Tripping is ensured for slowly increasing sinusoidal AC residual
currents.
A class
Tripping is ensured for sinusoidal AC residual currents and for
pulsed DC residual currents, whether applied suddenly or
increasing slowly.
Tripping sensitivity
30mA - additional protection against direct contact.
100mA - co-ordinated with the earth system according to the
formula I
Δ
n <50/R, to provide protection against indirect
contacts;
300mA - protection against indirect contacts, as well as fire
harzard.
Tripping time
Instantaneous
It ensures instantaneous tripping (without time-delay).
Short time delay
It ensures any tripping at least 10ms.
Selective
It ensures total discrimination with a nonselective RCD placed

downstr

• Like 1
Woolf

You should always have a ground as it helps to provide a good path to ground (without you being the path) and then a quick trip of fuse or circuit breaker.  Much better that this happens when the fault occurs rather than when you touch that 'hot' metal chassis - and only a ground is going to do that. 

I the VECO supply area the grounded neutral is not going to the house

there are 2 hots  110/120 volts to ground

If you make your own ground you will be lucky that it will be 10 ohms

If you have a short in your equipment from one the phases to chassis

it will be 110/120 volt at the chassis

Ground at 10 ohms and a voltage of 120 will be 12 amps

and your circuit breaker is ?

If all your outlets are grounded, you will have 110/120 volt

at all equipment connected

Do not use the ground that the phone company use

it is  not good, almost the same as putting a gound stick in a flower pot

lopburi3

This is not DC current - any ground will trip a circuit breaker - even the odd nail in the wall - much better to have any ground than none at all.

As for RCD that is also used by most people here in Thailand and does not require a ground reference to operate.  But even when working you will take a painful hit before it trips if you are the path to ground.  Much better to have that real path to ground take care of that and use the RCD as extra protection (and I highly believe in using them - have used here in Bangkok since the 1970's.

• Like 1

I the VECO supply area the grounded neutral is not going to the house

there are 2 hots  110/120 volts to ground

If you make your own ground you will be lucky that it will be 10 ohms

If you have a short in your equipment from one the phases to chassis

it will be 110/120 volt at the chassis

Ground at 10 ohms and a voltage of 120 will be 12 amps

and your circuit breaker is ?

If all your outlets are grounded, you will have 110/120 volt

at all equipment connected

Do not use the ground that the phone company use

it is  not good, almost the same as putting a gound stick in a flower pot

In my area we have Nuvelco electric co. They use the two wire system . One leg is hot and the other is ground. Can never get 110/120 from ground to any of the two wires. We had a third ground wire installed to all of our outlets. This eliminate nuisance mini shocking when holding on to any appliance when standing barefooted. Also good protection for equiptment and human. Somewhat different from what is mentioned above. 

Woolf
This is not DC current - any ground will trip a circuit breaker - even the odd nail in the wall -

No!!     any ground will NOT trip the breaker the current will

May calculation is valid for AC or DC

What do you know about electricity ? 

I have not been able to find a RCD in cebu

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residual-current_device

In my area we have Nuvelco electric co. They use the two wire system . One leg is hot and the other is ground. Can never get 110/120 from ground to any of the two wires. We had a third ground wire installed to all of our outlets. This eliminate nuisance mini shocking when holding on to any appliance when standing barefooted. Also good protection for equiptment and human. Somewhat different from what is mentioned above. 

Did you notice I said VECO area ?

Edited by Woolf