Sign in to follow this  
Salty Dog

It Could Happen to Anyone - Are You Prepared?

Dafey
23 minutes ago, yingy52 said:

I've got an unlicensed 45 cal. Pistol on the ready If I get to the point of no return and I'm prepared to use it when needed. 

Let's not get hasty now...I'd say you have a good 10-15 days left!

• Haha 2

SkyMan
1 hour ago, Dafey said:

Let's not get hasty now...I'd say you have a good 10-15 days left!

Not unless his aim is really bad.

Bama

So Dog, tell me.

You probably left some details out of your original post, I'm guessing.

How did the neurologists simply walk in to your hospital----looked at you and then declare that you had GBS? Had a series of tests already been done?

Bama

IMO this was key to get and continue to get treatment until recovery.It doesn't always go like this.

Dog said:

"The hospital was really pretty good about letting me run up a tab until my deposit dropped below 40% or there abouts. Even with that expensive drug."

On another MB I read a story about a expat that ran into a medical problem. He had a fabulous pension,10M  Peso home,money in the stock market,and even great insurance.Problem was he had little cash on hand or access to cash.While he was in the hospital he was required to pay for every treatment individually as it came up no matter how small of an amount that it was.The CC company after a bit shut the card down suspecting fraud.When he couldn't pay any more then his treatment was stopped and he died soon after. Pretty sobering.

broden
4 hours ago, yingy52 said:

I've got an unlicensed 45 cal. Pistol on the ready If I get to the point of no return and I'm prepared to use it when needed. 

just be careful that no one else can get there hands on it that might think you've gotten to the point of no return before you think you have

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Salty Dog
4 hours ago, Bama said:

So Dog, tell me.

You probably left some details out of your original post, I'm guessing.

How did the neurologists simply walk in to your hospital----looked at you and then declare that you had GBS? Had a series of tests already been done?

I'm assuming she had read the test they had run and symptoms before she saw me. My symptoms were pretty much textbook. Maybe she said it after I had tried to stand/walk. I can't remember for sure.

She had seen it before. Dumaguete had a high incidence of GBS for its population.

Whatever she actually knew for sure, it turned out she was right.

She was a great doctor as far as I was concerned. She visited me everyday including the Christmas and New Year holidays.

I did pay a deposit when I first checked into the hospital. It was P6,000.

I think once the hospital realized I was good for the payments, that they gave me some leeway and allowed me to build up some credit. The payments were made every 5-7 days. At which time, I was back to zero balance.

The credit card company was notified there would be significant charges and who they would be to.

My sister and my ex also came to Dumaguete with $15,00 - $20,000 in cash. I'm pretty sure other than for the expensive drug, that most of the weekly payments were made in cash.

When my wife (then finance) had an emergency appendectomy, they did something similar as far as payments. The gave us credit for what PhilHealth would pay, which was about P25,000 in 2011. When the deposit/payments dropped below a certain percentage of the current total, they would request an additional payment. Her total bill for 7 days was around P130,000. The surgeon screwed us though. Even though PhilHealth paid him something like P10,000, he still made us pay the full amount to him before he would release her from the hospital.

• Like 1

softail

Thankyou for bringing this up again. Story’s like your experience are really valuable for the rest of us. Could save a few lives. No Medicaid here to bail you out.

• Like 1

savarity

I keep a million pesos ready cash for emergencies, but because I don't have friends/family the problem is depositing with the hospital.

When I had my surgery at Cebu Doctor's Hospital, my surgeon told me he never saw this operation cost more 70k. So that's the amount I deposited with the hospital and brought along 50k more, just in case, which I left in my room and hoped no one would steal. They didn't, it was safe, BUT the operation ended up costing 20k more than the surgeon had said. He was actually very surprised and apologetic, even reducing his personal fee some after he found out about this.

I think what happened was the hospital saw I had 70k on deposit already, and ran up the bill as high as they could.

• Like 1

yingy52
18 hours ago, broden said:

just be careful that no one else can get there hands on it that might think you've gotten to the point of no return before you think you have

It's locked up.

• Like 1

bigpearl

Thanks so much Salty for sharing and yes sharing again this story and what you went through as I would never have picked up on your plight and the info you have courageously given as I am irregularly on this site.

I do though hope you are/have recovered to a point of normalcy. The information within this thread is invaluable and very happy that you revamp every few years.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 1