Sign in to follow this  
Salty Dog

It Could Happen to Anyone - Are You Prepared?

diverdon

Salty Dog, I'm glad to hear that things seem to have worked out reasonably well for you so far. I am also glad that you were luck enough to be able to get a doctor who correctly diagnosed your condition.

• Like 3

batman2525

Is this one of the reasons you went back to the Sunshine State ?

sperman

I am currently 63, will be 64 in December. I turned 59 in the hospital when this happened.

thats one hell of a battle, my heart goes out to you, and your wife. i'll check google, but is there any particular life style that brings this on that you know of, if you dont mind me asking?

• Like 1

Salty Dog

thats one hell of a battle, my heart goes out to you, and your wife. i'll check google, but is there any particular life style that brings this on that you know of, if you dont mind me asking?

The exact cause of Guillain-Barre syndrome isn't known. The disorder usually appears days or weeks after a respiratory or digestive tract infection. Rarely, recent surgery or immunization can trigger Guillain-Barre syndrome.

I didn't have any of these possible causes prior to coming down with GBS.

In Guillain-Barre syndrome, your immune system — which usually attacks only invading organisms — begins attacking the nerves. In AIDP, the most common form of Guillain-Barre syndrome, the nerves' protective covering (myelin sheath) is damaged. The damage prevents nerves from transmitting signals to your brain, causing weakness, numbness or paralysis.
  • Like 3

Ozepete

I am currently 63, will be 64 in December. I turned 59 in the hospital when this happened.

I am 70+ now but at 65 I was told I had less than a 20% chance of surviving one year. Obviously that is history and experts wrong again, thanks to chemo and that evil big pharma!!.

I felt like crap for years but recently started to fire on all cylinders again. (Mind you some are a bit low on compression!!)

So never ever give up doggy, just be positive and make every day a ripper.  

I made up my mind a long time ago that negative shit was not going to have free rent in my head so I keep fecki' it off, and it is great with more room for the good stuff!

Cheers!

Besides Salty, there's a classy Oz singer that reckons there is life in  the OLD DOG YET............ Have a laugh listen... could be your theme song!

Edited by Headshot
Fixed video
  • Like 5

InternetTough

I had GBS too. I'm getting better. Smokey even made a point of offering me a place to sit in the PC room in Gaisano Tabunok, but I was a bit unfriendly to his overture, I don't know why.

In my case, it felt like an evil dwarf had snuck in my room at night and replaced some of my leg muscles with rubber bands.

What an annoyance! 

I wish I had had a dog. I think evil dwarves hate loyal dogs.

• Like 1

Dafey

Wow!!! What a story! Scary but so glad you had the support of a good woman. It also sunds like the medical end was on task after you found the right one.

Have you compared what this procedure and recouperation would have cost in the States?

Good luck on your next adventure Salty and stay in touch.

• Like 1

Salty Dog

Wow!!! What a story! Scary but so glad you had the support of a good woman. It also sunds like the medical end was on task after you found the right one.

Have you compared what this procedure and recouperation would have cost in the States?

Good luck on your next adventure Salty and stay in touch.

No doubt that a month in a hospital in the USA would have cost over $100,000. However the cost to me would have actually been less. While my insurance paid most of this, the cost for buying drugs outside of the hospital and for physical therapy would have also been covered.

Someone is sure to chime in that TRICARE would have also paid these expenses. Well eaiser said than done. I never received receipts for most of these expenses.

My insurance has an annual cap and once my expenses reach that cap, all additional cost are covered 100%.

I would estimate my undocumented expenses were eaisly another several thousand dollars.

Edited by Salty Dog

Skywalker

I used to get really annoyed speaking with ex-pats in Bangkok who had no health insurance.

I've been in SE Asia long enough to know the costs of ill health, and the planet those self insurers live on.

When the hat is handed around, I ignore it.  It's a personal responsibility, when actually - in my view - it should be mandatory for foreigners who live here, or even holiday here.

Foreigners die here because of lack of affordability for health care - they shouldn't be here if they can't afford insurance or health care, if it's freely available in their home Country.

The 'it won't happen to me' mantra is getting worn out.

• Like 3

SkyMan

I thought it was time to bump this again for those new people who maybe haven't read it.
Thanks, I'd read this before but good reread.  Glad things worked through and you had an angel by your side.  I'm curious if Tricare covered anything after your release like the hospital bed rental?  I need to remind my wife to keep any receipts in this type situation.  I imagine you'd have done that if you were the one buying the meds.
  • Like 1

Salty Dog

Thanks, I'd read this before but good reread. Glad things worked through and you had an angel by your side. I'm curious if Tricare covered anything after your release like the hospital bed rental? I need to remind my wife to keep any receipts in this type situation. I imagine you'd have done that if you were the one buying the meds.

Didn't even try to claim the bed. It was only around P1,000. As for the drugs, I had receipts. But as you know, you might get a receipt there from a drug store, but you can't tell if you bought a drug or a loaf of bread. Since then, I've learned that Mercury Drugs has some kind of arrangement with TRICARE. At the time, my wife was trying to save money on the drugs. If she had just let the hospital pharmacy fill as many as they could, they would have all been paid for.

I didn't get any type of receipt for my physical therapy 6 days a week at P400 a session.

To tell you the truth I was still so messed up, I didn't think about it. I actually had someone file my claim with TRICARE from back in the USA. Can't remember why, but they declined the first submission. It was some BS about my name or Social Security being wrong. They finally approved and paid in March, which was about two months after I got out of the hospital.

Salty Dog

I just happen to come across these:

Hospital and Doctors Bill P1,357,000+

trricare.JPG

Six pages of drug receipts P115,200

tricare1.JPG

Edited by Salty Dog

Salty Dog

I like to bring this up every few years. Especially for those new members who aren't familiar with my story.

I was in the hospital for over a month and my hospital bill which also included doctors and physical therapist came to over P1,250,000. 

• Like 1

yingy52

I've got an unlicensed 45 cal. Pistol on the ready If I get to the point of no return and I'm prepared to use it when needed. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1