i live full time in a hotel in cebu.  I might leave a few things laying around now and then, but never passports, watches , wallets or money....they stay where they belong in my safe.

I browsed most of the thread, but did not see any explanation why you did not use the safe.  It would not have saved your laptop, but would have saved everything else.

sorry for your loss....

• Like 1
  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• Cipro

• contraman

• Kreole

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Man, he got his wallet and passport stolen, not his high school yearbook.   Have some sympathy!

Because there was nothing left to steal?

Did you ask the bell boy if you could at least have your passports back ?

Posted Images

johnormoc

This hotel was always my backup in case my favorite hotel wasn't available. It always seemed safe and secure before but things can change in an instant and it sounds like the staff might have a robbery scam going. I'll avoid this hotel for awhile. Sorry for the OP's loss but I do appreciate him taking the time to warn others. 

Someone asked  why I didn't use the safe is it was never offered to me.

• Like 1
smokey

I'm not trying to play Sherlock Holmes here. Just wondered if it was possible the room was entered through the door? A staff member can enter if the room does not have the security bar placed (if one is present). Easy for them to make apologies about entering "I thought the room was empty". Or "I was going to turn down the bedding". If that is a possibility, then it is also possible security cameras (if there) could reveal an entry this way.

Sorry if this just adds more stress. I sure understand what it is like to have items lost in this fashion. I once lost a bag with multiple digital devices, two passports, $3000 cash and a load of personal family photos, irreplaceable. Did get it back( another story) but had to spend a full day tracking the stuff before the police found it. Biggest worry we had was hearing..."we found your bag, but the money was missing".

well good point but I think he said he checked in late like 9.50 pm and was robbed within 4 hours so don't think it was the cleaning staff on the job... I would be disappointed in the hotel as seems they did very little

smokey

i live full time in a hotel in cebu.  I might leave a few things laying around now and then, but never passports, watches , wallets or money....they stay where they belong in my safe.

I browsed most of the thread, but did not see any explanation why you did not use the safe.  It would not have saved your laptop, but would have saved everything else.

sorry for your loss....

a room safe ??? or the hotel boxes...I used to use the hotel box but once I wired myself money to buy something took it in usd and put it in the hotel box .. next day I went down and took it out and found it 600 short... hummmmmm

in-room safe,

i live full time in hotels in the Philippines...I stay on a monthly rate in the main hotel I stay in next to Ayala Mall, then at the end of each 30 day period, I travel to other islands for a week to 10 days.  I have yet to stay in a hotel that did not have a digital room safe.  

No safe is without potential break-ins i suppose.  About two months ago, my room safe just stopped working.   It would not accept that combination I had used the previous 2 weeks I had been in the room.  When I called the front desk, they sent up a maintenance person with a key who opened my safe in about 20 seconds, and reset it so that I could re-enter a new combination.   Although I have never had anything missing in from my safe, all hotels need to have a way of opening safes in case a customer forgets his combination, and also to reset the combination after a guest leaves the room.  

colemanlee

Just so you guys know, we stayed at the Diplomat last time we visited Cebu...few weeks after we got back found out somebody snagged wifes credit card number and made some purchases with it....something like 9k php....the wife had noticed unusual activity after we got back, then the bank called a few days later....long story they are sending her a new card...but that takes 45days...

Shame really as we enjoyed staying there...and I know some on here use it regularly .....I would use it again but would keep all my dealings with them cash..

• Like 2
delancey

In a very poor country where crime and related concerns is a way of life, I think it comes down to randomness. A lot of energy is spent trying to believe we can control things a lot more then we really can. You can harden security (smart idea) but I think it is a game of numbers. X amount of us stay at a hotel for every 1 victimized no matter how much you think you try to plan.

smokey

in-room safe,

i live full time in hotels in the Philippines...I stay on a monthly rate in the main hotel I stay in next to Ayala Mall, then at the end of each 30 day period, I travel to other islands for a week to 10 days.  I have yet to stay in a hotel that did not have a digital room safe.  

No safe is without potential break-ins i suppose.  About two months ago, my room safe just stopped working.   It would not accept that combination I had used the previous 2 weeks I had been in the room.  When I called the front desk, they sent up a maintenance person with a key who opened my safe in about 20 seconds, and reset it so that I could re-enter a new combination.   Although I have never had anything missing in from my safe, all hotels need to have a way of opening safes in case a customer forgets his combination, and also to reset the combination after a guest leaves the room.  

i am happy for you and your piece of string is yet a different size then mine ,,,  many of the in room hotel safes I have seen are not only NOT secured well but I sure am not going to leave a large amount of money in one while I am not IN the room

• Like 2

Smokey...

The more precautions you take, the better off you are... Your position on this makes sense....

• 2 months later...
A_Simple_Man

Do  not stay in Montebello Villa Hotel in Cebu.

Thank you for the thread.  I really wanted to try the Montebello as I had heard such good things about it.  After reading of your experiences I will not stay there.

If I was to stay there I would probably not be robbed as I would use your experiences to triple check the security before going out or sleeping.  But after hearing what you said I would not sleep well and that is the reason for staying at a 'nice' hotel.  In addition, if I was robbed after your warning, I would feel like the stupidest member on LinC  :cold:

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I take one of these with me when I travel. I trust it more so than the safe box in the room. 

Most thieves are opportunists and don't carry bolt cutters with them. 

I would like to carry the smaller version but securing my laptop is important to me (15" Macbook Pro). 

post-2454-0-18695400-1440763873_thumb.png

I take one of these with me when I travel. I trust it more so than the safe box in the room.

Or this

kensington_lock_mocowanie-243x300.jpg

Kreole

Or this kensington_lock_mocowanie-243x300.jpg

Unless that table leg is bolted to the floor (unlikely) then your laptop will be easily stolen.  And the combination lock is probably pretty easy to pick, given some patience; or just go to YouTube for video lessons on how to pick a lock.  And the Pacsafe seems like an overpriced sack unless you plan to wrap the laptop around your leg when you sleep.  Left in a hotel room in your absence, what would you lock it to?  And wouldn't it be easy to just cut the bag open?  If I am insecure in a hotel, then I should move to another one, and on the "safe" side have the laptop put in the hotel safe rather than the room safe when I am out of the hotel.  If you look on YouTube you can find videos that show how easy it is to open a hotel safe.

Davaoeno

Unless that table leg is bolted to the floor (unlikely) then your laptop will be easily stolen.  And the combination lock is probably pretty easy to pick, given some patience; or just go to YouTube for video lessons on how to pick a lock.  And the Pacsafe seems like an overpriced sack unless you plan to wrap the laptop around your leg when you sleep.  Left in a hotel room in your absence, what would you lock it to?  And wouldn't it be easy to just cut the bag open?  If I am insecure in a hotel, then I should move to another one, and on the "safe" side have the laptop put in the hotel safe rather than the room safe when I am out of the hotel.  If you look on YouTube you can find videos that show how easy it is to open a hotel safe.

any security is better than no security !! 

• Like 1