towboat72

On the farm we used to pop them with a 22 short. 

the robbers or pigs?????

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• Cipro

• contraman

• Kreole

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Man, he got his wallet and passport stolen, not his high school yearbook.   Have some sympathy!

Because there was nothing left to steal?

Did you ask the bell boy if you could at least have your passports back ?

Posted Images

Cipro

the robbers or pigs?????

Pigs, although if robbers came to the edge of the pen we might have done them too. 

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

why expats don't buy a gun and register it in the wife's name..

Some do. 

• Like 2
smokey

well there are two kinds of gun permits ... one to own the gun and keep it in your house not hard to get and yet another to CARRY said gun this one is hard to get so chances are in a hotel there will be only one guy with a gun and it will be the thief who because of his chosen job would not care about the paperwork required to have the gun in the first place

• Like 4

Sorry for not answering questions but have been away the last couple of days getting back to work and trying to get life back together. Someone asked how close my things were to the window. The closest items to the window were my watch, wallet and wifes purse. I would say probably 6 to 8 feet from the window. The lap top bag estimated 10 feet from the window and the laptop and cell phone 15 to 18 feet from the window.

• Like 3

Since you asked, robbers for the most part are stupid, if they were smart then they would not be out robbing, so when he asked for my wallet, I would go to hand it to him and let it slip and as soon as he looked down to the floor, then I would move outside impact and then make him into a statistic. 

I think both of us have been watching too many movies.     But let’s not derail this topic.   Op lost material things and luckily he and his family are unharmed at last physically.  

I would also like to add that the bottom of the window was probably 10 to 12 feet off the ground. it was not a ground floor room.

it would have either taken 2 people or a ladder to get into the window. Who ever got my things had to come completely into the room. If any of you know the hotel we were in room 414. If you go straight in the front and go straight back to where the little wagon is then our room was on the left side of the wagon. Someone posted about the bell man closing the window. IF he closed it then he did not lock it. The window was not broken.

• Administrator
Salty Dog

Eight pages of "I'm more awesome than the OP" before one of you states the obvious…

I guess the OP's response makes your statement of the obvious, obviously wrong. Maybe next time before you make such a condescending statement about everyone else's posts, you should think about what you're going to post first.

I had to re-write this as what I originally wrote more than likely could have gotten me banned….

• Like 1
Jawny

I would also like to add that the bottom of the window was probably 10 to 12 feet off the ground. it was not a ground floor room.

it would have either taken 2 people or a ladder to get into the window. Who ever got my things had to come completely into the room. If any of you know the hotel we were in room 414. If you go straight in the front and go straight back to where the little wagon is then our room was on the left side of the wagon. Someone posted about the bell man closing the window. IF he closed it then he did not lock it. The window was not broken.

I'm not trying to play Sherlock Holmes here. Just wondered if it was possible the room was entered through the door? A staff member can enter if the room does not have the security bar placed (if one is present). Easy for them to make apologies about entering "I thought the room was empty". Or "I was going to turn down the bedding". If that is a possibility, then it is also possible security cameras (if there) could reveal an entry this way.

Sorry if this just adds more stress. I sure understand what it is like to have items lost in this fashion. I once lost a bag with multiple digital devices, two passports, $3000 cash and a load of personal family photos, irreplaceable. Did get it back( another story) but had to spend a full day tracking the stuff before the police found it. Biggest worry we had was hearing..."we found your bag, but the money was missing".

• Like 2
ozboy

Jawny..i would have to agree with you.......one of the things people forget about is when they go out, room service/domestic cleaners have access.....not saying for one moment they would ever look thru your stuff......best to put use the hotel's security safe..

Headshot

Jawny..i would have to agree with you.......one of the things people forget about is when they go out, room service/domestic cleaners have access.....not saying for one moment they would ever look thru your stuff......best to put use the hotel's security safe..

It is also a good idea to use locking luggage, and keep all of your valuables locked in it anytime you are out of the room or asleep. I also have locking straps that go around the bags (that can be used to secure the bags to furniture in the room. Anything you can do to make it harder on burglars will discourage them from continuing to try. They do NOT want to get caught, so anything that takes too long to steal will become very unappealing.

• Like 3

I think both of us have been watching too many movies.     But let’s not derail this topic.   Op lost material things and luckily he and his family are unharmed at last physically.  

Maybe you have, I have actually lived them but you are correct, this type of discussion is for a different topic.

I too am glad the op and family were not hurt, I have heard the same type of burglary while sleeping thing happen to people I know who lived in homes too and thankfully they too were not hurt. Things can be replaced, human life is irreplaceable.  

• Like 1

I did place the security bar on the door before going to bed and it was still on the door when I went to report the break in. We offered a no questions asked reward for the wife's passport and green card. She went to the media and put it out on the radio that we were offering a reward. With time and hard work all the money and valuables can be replaced. What can't be replaced is the time the family is separated. The wife is still in the Philippines trying to get a passport and will probably be there at least another month.

• Like 1
darrener

As I mentioned earlier, I was due to stay in Cebu this weekend and have just returned, and yes I did stay in Montebello...... and as usual had a pleasant stay.

The reason I decided to go there was that I have stayed there on several occasions without incident, I have several friends and acquaintances who have stayed there many times and swear by the place, I certainly did take on board what Edward stated and thoroughly checked door locks and windows etc. to make sure I was comfortable with everything..... the reason I went there even after the warning was that I would not feel any safer if I went to a different hotel that I was not familiar with and I believe Edward was extremely un-fortunate / unlucky in what happened to him and his family........ If theft was a regular occurrence at Montebello I feel that through the number of people I know,and the large number of foreigners that stay there it would have leaked onto the grapevine in one way or another that this place was not one that people should stay at.......... I feel sorry  for Edward and his family having to suffer this experience however sometimes you just have to weigh up the risks and then make your choice..... I must say I do find all this talk about filling people full of lead and some of the other different "security" options totally over the top and totally unnecessary for the average hotel guest in the Philippines.......

bahalina buong

I guess the OP's response makes your statement of the obvious, obviously wrong. Maybe next time before you make such a condescending statement about everyone else's posts, you should think about what you're going to post first.

I had to re-write this as what I originally wrote more than likely could have gotten me banned….

Maybe you should read my post again.  All we know is that the thieves came in through the window.  When faced with a contradiction, check your premise.  Someone in this thread is not being honest.