darrener

I think he did the right thing in informing us of his mis-fortune...... and in so doing giving a reminder to be aware of your surroundings and not to take anything for granted..... for that I thank him, however people have been robbed in hotels all over Cebu and I'm sure there are some members who can give similar accounts from other hotels.... possibly much higher class places than Montebello.......

• Like 2
  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• Cipro

• contraman

• Kreole

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Man, he got his wallet and passport stolen, not his high school yearbook.   Have some sympathy!

Because there was nothing left to steal?

Did you ask the bell boy if you could at least have your passports back ?

Posted Images

RogerDat

I also get the impression he is new to all of this, so maybe having a hard time getting anything done, and getting the high p[rice for everything he need to do.

calasiaobound

I know its illegal for foreigners to own guns..but if you're married to a filipina..just have your wife's name on it?

Better to me than some hokey amazon.com whistle. i hate not having protection frankly..

If some fool creeps into my place at night im filling him with lead

I am sure he has much more important things to do since he lost all that, than come back on and tell us more, hopefully for now anyway. 

My wife and I had stayed there a few times and knew others who stayed there and none of us ever had a problem but that was many years ago and all it takes is one bad apple working there or a bad apple around knowing the place is an easy mark. 

BTW, whenever staying at any place we try to stay off the ground floor and even then I always make sure windows and doors are locked before going to sleep and always put a chair or suitcase up against the door and in front of a window, so it will fall and make noise if the door is forced or someone climbs in the window or sliding door. I also always use a local address when checking in instead of using a US address, locals are usually not seen as big a target as tourists.

Also just as anywhere else in the Philippines, I never show valuables or a lot of cash when checking in or out of places, or when out and about, I have seen many Balikbayans who have to show it all when they return, I am not saying that was the case with the op but sometimes people do not even realize that what is normal back home is not okay to do when away from home.

• Like 3
lamoe

I know its illegal for foreigners to own guns..but if you're married to a filipina..just have your wife's name on it?

Better to me than some hokey amazon.com whistle. i hate not having protection frankly..

When hokey is all you can use - hokey is what you use.

BossHog
Also just as anywhere else in the Philippines, I never show valuables or a lot of cash when checking in or out of places, or when out and about, I have seen many Balikbayans who have to show it all when they return, I am not saying that was the case with the op but sometimes people do not even realize that what is normal back home is not okay to do when away from home.

Good strategy.

If i stay in a place that costs say 1,500 a night I'll pony up a thousand at check-in and ask my missus for five hundred.

The staff feel sorry for her but this little charade makes it known that you're 'broke' to all the bell-boys and stamby's who are checking things out.

edit: i should add that this should be unnecessary in a city like Cebu but comes in handy traveling around rural Mindanao.  

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 6
Soarking

Good strategy.

If i stay in a place that costs say 1,500 a night I'll pony up a thousand at check-in and ask my missus for five hundred.

The staff feel sorry for her but this little charade makes it known that you're 'broke' to all the bell-boys and stamby's who are checking things out.

When my wife is here I don't have to fake it to get people to feel sorry for me. She keeps the money and if I am a good boy she may give me some 20's, 50's or if I'm really good a hundred.

• Like 1

That is ridiculous statement.    Filling him with lead...?

Look at op`s case.   What the hell would your gun be good for you if you not even awake whiles these robbers are in your bedroom.  They might just end up with a nice new shiny kano gun in their kit with all other goodies. 

• Like 1
smokey

That is ridiculous statement.    Filling him with lead...?

Look at op`s case.   What the hell would your gun be good for you if you not even awake whiles these robbers are in your bedroom.  They might just end up with a nice new shiny kano gun in their kit with all other goodies. 

so what do you do leave milk and cookies out just in case ? :yahoo:

so what do you do leave milk and cookies out just in case ? :yahoo:

Never thought about that but might as well.  :yahoo:  milk is rather highly valued commodity here.  Glass of milk and loaded gun, both are just as effective deterrent ..........if you fast asleep.

Edited by Hy H
thebob

The best security in d'Phils is having very good relationships with ya neighbours. It's the lone wolf security-obsessed individuals who always get ripped off.

It's like advertising you got shit that's worth stealing. Let your neighbours do your policing for you. 

Exactly if you live behind a big wall, everyone thinks there must be plenty in there worth taking.

I always arrive with a hard shell Samsonite case for any valuables and lock it to something immovable with a bike chain.

You don't need much security in a hotel room... just better than the guys next door.

contraman

You don't need much security in a hotel room... just better than the guys next door.

A lock only keeps an honest thief out.

Otherwise it just takes them a minute or two longer:)

• Like 2
Ozepete

That is ridiculous statement. Filling him with lead...? Look at op`s case. What the hell would your gun be good for you if you not even awake whiles these robbers are in your bedroom. They might just end up with a nice new shiny kano gun in their kit with all other goodies.

Then shoot you with it if you wake up. :killself:

Besides if they're also armed, do you really think that wakening from a sleep you would be quicker to pull your gun and shoot, than the perps? 

Me thinks someone ends up filled with lead for sure, but sorry it won't be the bad guys!  :unknw:

• Like 6
contraman

The sacrificial wallet with dummy cards and a few peso left out.

Everything else is in the safe :(

Edited by contraman
  • Like 2
newtocebu

I would still like to hear from the OP to clarify a few things.

I think a lot of posters are just assuming that the thief was actually in the room.

I am just assuming that the thief reached through the window ( which would technically mean that at least part of the thief was in the room lol )