That was one funny post... :ROFLMAO:

It wasn't funny at the time :(

• Like 2

Ozepete

It wasn't funny at the time :(

Were they hard to swallow? :hyper:

• Like 3

smokey

This reminds me of my efforts to avoid putting too much value into possessions.  They seem to own you, not the other way around.  When I stripped down to move across the country I could feel emotions as I had to decide what to keep and what to sell/give to goodwill.  Its just "stuff" as George Carlin would say.  

I've been reading about movement towards going for experience rather than owning stuff with the money you have.  By taking so much stuff of value to you, you probably guarded yourself so much.  Now at least you can just let go and enjoy the experience knowing there is nothing left for someone to take from you  (other than your life of course).  At least try to let go and not worry.  Maybe if you had left your hotel room you would have worried about that stuff, or it you carried it with you, worrying of being robbed on the street thus avoiding places that could have been a bit spicy.

Now go out and enjoy that spicy city and forget about the crap that is now gone forever.  Forget the police; your stuff is gone forever and wasting your time trying to get it back will just get you robbed again; your precious time you have only so many hours of.

Gee your a ray of sunshine .... how about having someone creep around while your sleeping ... Gee I miss the nightly news when they would list the new x criminals  who were greeted by  the vigilante squad

• Like 1

SkyMan

It seems plausible that you are not the first person to be robbed at this hotel.  Some of the staff very likely are in on this because:  1. they did not give you a warning about the poor locks, and 2.  They did not tell you to be extra cautious since other people had been robbed there.  In addition, it is wise to place all "valuables" in the hotel safe.

I wasn't the one robbed.

smokey

I have stayed at several hotels in Cebu in the past and will probably return to one of those, it was just that Montebello ticked most of the boxes for us as a family with kids, as you say all hotels have some form of security issues and it's not as if they advertise the fact when trying to attract new guests.....

well I would say it was a good thing he or one of the children did not wake up it would of put the thief in a fight or flight spot

Edited by smokey
  • Like 1

woodchopper

umm,,lets see,,if i were a true blue policeman,,who would i suspect?,,,2 many days gone by mate,,,horse has bolted

calasiaobound

Gee your a ray of sunshine .... how about having someone creep around while your sleeping ... Gee I miss the nightly news when they would list the new x criminals  who were greeted by  the vigilante squad

I didn't interpret his post as negative..more philosophical than anything.

Maybe it wasn't..I dunno

But for sure getting robbed and violated is totally crappy. I'd feel a range of emotion and would most certainly not allow this to blow over without first doing everything I could with the cops..the hotel..any locals etc..

This would be a complete nightmare to contend with indeed.

Sorry op for this terrible turn of events. Hope you get some results soon. Best of luck!

• Like 2

Kreole

Any way you look at it, it is a very bad experience to be robbed, especially when the thief entered your sleeping area and had full options to do what he wanted while you and your family were asleep.  That would be terribly unsettling. 

Only second to that is being robbed at knife point by two guys.  This happened in another country as I was walking a girl home, but the experience would probably be the same wherever.  I did not hesitate to reach in my pocket and give the thieves all the money I had; well almost all.  I had a loose $100 bill that I had forgotten to take out of my pocket, but it was detached from my money clip which only had $13, so when I gave them the money clip they just walked away.  They said I was lucky they did not beat me up, which was not an uncommon experience of victims in this particular country. 

Fortunately I had some money for them, because I think if they came up short then they would have taken out their frustration on me.  It was just a quirk of fate.  So, whenever I am walking at night, I always carry at least $10 dollars in whatever currency, so as to at least modestly satisfy their demands.  And I am usually very careful about where I walk at night, but robbery can occur anywhere. 

• Like 1

MattFromGA
Gee your a ray of sunshine .... how about having someone creep around while your sleeping ...

The initial robbery event is over.  There is no way to undo someone creeping around while they slept.  The wallet is gone.  The police will do nothing and they will never recover the items.

At this point all the OP has control over is how they choose to respond in the now.  He could piss and moan the remaining of the trip so that the robber not only got the property they also got the guys time; maybe even got a few years at the end of the OP's life for all the stress that could be created from it.

Edit: I do want to add that I have gone though that type of experience in my own home in Cebu City.  They came in while they sleep, and we believe it was coordinated with someone in the house such as house maid based on the details of the robbery.  I got all caught up emotionally and it took months for me to finally get over it.  I never got any of the stuff back and the police were less than useless.  I'm not sure why someone would even bother to report the robbery as its just even more time lost dealing with them for nothing.  The best I could do from that is to learn a lesson about the true value of property.  

Identification such as passports being stolen is another issue because you HAVE to lose even more time getting replacements.

Edited by MattFromGA
  • Like 5

quit_yume

I Would be on every internet site giving them awful reviews and my mrs would be speaking to any media outlet she could.

Obviously an inside job and most likely will happen to someone else.

The idea of someone invading my personal space while I'm sleeping,

Man if i woke up one of us would be dead, period.

Not sure of the law here but if someone is breaking into my room thats danger to myself and my family.

Do not be a victim bro...make the hotel pay for their complacency.

agreed.  i'm really hoping the OP goes on tripadvisor and any other place he can to relate his story.   it does make a difference, if only to warn as many people as possible.

Cipro

A lot of people like myself actually run their business from their phone or laptop while in the PI , so getting it back ,

Or at least trying can be imperative and possibly halt the cancellation of the visit if successful ,

What would cancelling the trip accomplish?

• Like 1

Cipro

I have another question, brought on by the Tazer story, and an observation. First, what is the legality of stun guns and tazers in PH? They are shockingly enough (no pun) completely legal in CA, and as such I might get a C2 for carry until the local sheriff starts following the law and issuing CCW permits. I could pack it when I go to PH if it's legal. 

Second, in the past when I traveled I carried a motion detector light thing; I just like having 1-2 of them for convenience but I suppose they could be a deterrent as well. A quick Amazon search reveals several IR remote alarms that are either portable or at least wireless and battery operated. 

• Like 2

Monsoon

I have one of these and like it. 

• Like 2

Cipro

I just used to have a GI style rucksack with a padlock on it, doubles as a pillow at night. 

f3jedi

I have one of these and like it. 

Me too, and I love it. I have the older "daysafe" version.

To the OP: thanks for posting this, nice warning to others. Sorry for your very bad experience

• Like 1