• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• Cipro

• contraman

• Kreole

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Man, he got his wallet and passport stolen, not his high school yearbook.   Have some sympathy!

Because there was nothing left to steal?

Did you ask the bell boy if you could at least have your passports back ?

Posted Images

Davaoeno

If I was a robber looking to make a score and I  came across this device i would just move on to the next room because i would want a snatch and grab kind of thing - not something i have to pick a lock or get wire cutters to cut through the bag [ or has been suggested to watch a Youtube video as how to open the bag ! ]

• Like 1
Kreole

If I was a robber looking to make a score and I came across this device i would just move on to the next room because i would want a snatch and grab kind of thing - not something i have to pick a lock or get wire cutters to cut through the bag [ or has been suggested to watch a Youtube video as how to open the bag ! ]

I think you are correct for the most part; anything that takes time and effort would be a deterrence for a snatch and grab, but not for a thief that was determined or knew the value of what it was they were stealing (MacBook Pro = $2,000 +/-).  Each of these safe-like products are easily overcome with persistence, but do give the owner a little peace of mind if they assume, as you do and probably correctly, that most thieves are after the quick steal.

• Like 4
Kreole

If you look on YouTube you can find videos that show how easy it is to open a hotel safe.

Until recently, I was not aware of how easy it is to break into hotel safes.  I have been looking to purchase a small personal safe that I will have bolted into the floor and wall.  So, curious to see what was available, I browsed YouTube videos and came to the conclusion that unless you build the safe into your floor or enclose it in concrete, it is not secure against a serious, concerted effort.  My theory, is to make it difficult and require some effort and lots of noise to get into my safe, thus drawing the attention of other friends, neighbors in the vicinity.

Jester

I learned a trick from an old guy.  I have a safe in my house, quality safe, heavy, bolted to the floor easy to see in the closet.  That is not where I keep my valuables! Jester

• Like 5
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

I learned a trick from an old guy.  I have a safe in my house, quality safe, heavy, bolted to the floor easy to see in the closet.  That is not where I keep my valuables! Jester

Fooled me...

• Like 1

Just so you guys know, we stayed at the Diplomat last time we visited Cebu...few weeks after we got back found out somebody snagged wifes credit card number and made some purchases with it....something like 9k php....the wife had noticed unusual activity after we got back, then the bank called a few days later....long story they are sending her a new card...but that takes 45days...

Shame really as we enjoyed staying there...and I know some on here use it regularly .....I would use it again but would keep all my dealings with them cash..

Thats sad to hear I stopped staying there after many years when large cracks opened up in the elevator shaft in the earthquake before Yolanda.

The Holiday Plaza Hotel up the road on the right before Robinsons is another place to strike of ones list. We left the bags near the window to go upstairs to the roof restaurant. Popped back down to get my phone and already room service had his hands in my bag. Asking why he was in the room he said he had come in to change towels. I told him the towels were in the CR and not in my bag. Told him to come with me to reception. He refused. Gave him the choice of walking or prostrate on his trolley and he came quietly. 

My choice now is the Adelfa behind Chong Hua. Lived there for a few months after the typhoons. I keep my money in the ATM inside Robinsons. Before it was in the ATM at Metrobank near the Diplomat.

Athena

Good strategy.

If i stay in a place that costs say 1,500 a night I'll pony up a thousand at check-in and ask my missus for five hundred.

The staff feel sorry for her but this little charade makes it known that you're 'broke' to all the bell-boys and stamby's who are checking things out.

edit: i should add that this should be unnecessary in a city like Cebu but comes in handy traveling around rural Mindanao.  

may i do a one upmanship with you!

i pay all the bills - so eveyone knows my husband had no money ................ (lol)

mind you, it doesnt stop us from getting pickpocketed on our recent visit to Cebu  :megashock:    :cry:

..... the Pacsafe seems like an overpriced sack unless you plan to wrap the laptop around your leg when you sleep.  Left in a hotel room in your absence, what would you lock it to?  And wouldn't it be easy to just cut the bag open?

It has a stainless mesh, so it's not trivial, but certainly possible. I use this:

71ZOLs7QJEL._SL1100_.jpg

When I have to use something, and the plumbing in the bathroom is generally good enough. Simpler to just travel light though. 

musicman666

may i do a one upmanship with you!

i pay all the bills - so eveyone knows my husband had no money ................ (lol)

mind you, it doesnt stop us from getting pickpocketed on our recent visit to Cebu  :megashock:    :cry:

I got pick pocketed in Hong Kong on the taxi stand of Kai tak about 20 minutes after landing on my first trip to Asia ....after over twenty years in the region that was the first and only time that anyone has ever pulled that stunt on me since... You live and learn.

hilyfe

I take pleasure in revenge

I would of set up those bastards

And hire someone to check in same room

And luggages and pretend youre really tired and sleepy

And wait for that dbag to come in

And baseball bat his freakin head

It has a stainless mesh, so it's not trivial, but certainly possible. I use this:

71ZOLs7QJEL._SL1100_.jpg

When I have to use something, and the plumbing in the bathroom is generally good enough. Simpler to just travel light though.

Ohhh that case looks good

Leave a note inside it (SUCKER)

• Like 2

I learned a trick from an old guy. I have a safe in my house, quality safe, heavy, bolted to the floor easy to see in the closet. That is not where I keep my valuables! Jester

That 'trick' only works if you're not home.

Soarking

If they want something of yours so bad that they are willing to risk their freedom, risk their lives and put your life in jeopardy,,,,,LET THEM HAVE IT.

• Like 3
contraman

If they want something of yours so bad that they are willing to risk their freedom, risk their lives and put your life in jeopardy,,,,,LET THEM HAVE IT.

True

But it is more fun to make it just a little more difficult.

May even make them think twice before trying it again :idontknow:

shadow

When we got our most recent multicab, it had a rinky dink lock around the battery, not installed well (battery was new, had the date on it). Within a month someone had snagged it. We park it on the dark street.

I replaced it with a new battery and a chain, the chain being wrapped with electrical tape and laced with razor blades. Also slid razor blades into the cracks of the battery, and the handle. Within a month there was a stain on the pavement near the battery. Over two years and still the same battery now.

• Like 3