Sign in to follow this  
Edward

Robbed in Cebu

Edward

Do  not stay in Montebello Villa Hotel in Cebu. My family and I checked into the Montebello Villa Hotel on 5/24/2015 at approximately 9:30 PM. Upon getting to the room the bell man went to the window pulled the curtain back and did something to the window. He then turned the air conditioner on and left. Around midnight we went to bed. At 01:50 I woke up and went to the bathroom and looked at my watch before going back to bed. I woke up a little while later and heard the sound of water dripping. I got up to investigate the sound and it was coming from outside. I pulled the curtain open and the window and screen were open. I reached for my watch and it was gone. I started looking for my wallet and it was also gone. I woke up my wife and we turned on the lights to find that her purse, my laptop, cell phone and my laptop bag was gone. Everything of value was gone. I went to the front desk to report the break in and they would not call the police said the hotel security would have to investigate. They ended up taking up to the police station around 3:00 pm and left us there to find our on way back. When we got back to the hotel my wife demanded a different room so they put us up on the 3rd floor. They call it a garden suite. It was a dump with a living room and a bedroom. After 3 days in this room I discovered that both the sliding doors one in the bedroom and the other in the living room were not secure. The door that should slide had a lock but the door that should be stationary and not move would slide open. Everyone please warn people not to stay at this place. Me and my son went to the US Embassy in Manila and got emergency passports but my wife is a Philippine citizen and will take at least another 30 days to get her a passport and travel letter to come home.

• Like 5

BossHog

Sorry to hear of your trouble.

Did the police come to the hotel to investigate?

Paul

After 3 days in this room I discovered that both the sliding doors one in the bedroom and the other in the living room were not secure.

Dude, after having JUST been robbed, why did you wait ANY length of time, to inspect the windows of the new room? 

• Like 5

woodchopper

ask the cops,,no questions asked,,return of personal paperwork etc pls? (they are sometimes in the "G.O." of shit such as this? they might know the suspect/s?)

• Like 1

Alfred E. Neuman

Let your wife threaten management with media exposure if they're unwilling to help.

• Like 6

Jawny

Sorry to learn of your misfortune. Thanks for taking the time to share the information.

• Like 3

ozboy

Yes it's a really sickening feeling knowing someone was in your room while you were asleep....It happened to us in 09. Although the house had all the security stuff, one small window in the dirty kitchen, facing the neighbours yard, was forced.

We heard nothing and ended up with only stuff they were targeting...Handbag, any jewellery etc on side table and the draws where both our passports, cards etc were.....Never bothered with computer or bulky stuff.

Had to make this blotter report to local cops and offered  a reward via word of mouth, just wanting passports back,,but no takers..

We were told we were very lucky we never woke and confronted whoever or it could have ended up badly for us.....

• Like 2

MattFromGA

This reminds me of my efforts to avoid putting too much value into possessions.  They seem to own you, not the other way around.  When I stripped down to move across the country I could feel emotions as I had to decide what to keep and what to sell/give to goodwill.  Its just "stuff" as George Carlin would say.  

I've been reading about movement towards going for experience rather than owning stuff with the money you have.  By taking so much stuff of value to you, you probably guarded yourself so much.  Now at least you can just let go and enjoy the experience knowing there is nothing left for someone to take from you  (other than your life of course).  At least try to let go and not worry.  Maybe if you had left your hotel room you would have worried about that stuff, or it you carried it with you, worrying of being robbed on the street thus avoiding places that could have been a bit spicy.

Now go out and enjoy that spicy city and forget about the crap that is now gone forever.  Forget the police; your stuff is gone forever and wasting your time trying to get it back will just get you robbed again; your precious time you have only so many hours of.

• Like 2

darrener

I have stayed there a couple of times the last time being just last week, we have enjoyed our stays there and find it a good place for a family break, however now that you mention it the upstairs room that we had with a balcony overlooking the gardens did have a dodgy lock.

If the sliding door was not forced all the way home it was possible to believe the door was locked even though it wasn't........

We are due back in Cebu this weekend and I am now in two minds as to what I should do..... :idontknow:

• Like 1

Soarking

Thanks for the warning. With the passing of time we tend to all get a little to comfortable in our surroundings. It can all change in the blink of an eye.

I am going to do some house checking and change some of my sloppy habits when it comes to personal security.

• Like 2

woodchopper

We are due back in Cebu this weekend and I am now in two minds as to what I should do.....  :idontknow:

umm,,stay the same place?,,someone obviously needs the LOOT,,,,,,,,,, :cool:

• Like 2