• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hilyfe

• Raptor

• Pman

• Paul

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being a filipino my self I was brought up to help in any way i can (family) Family is priceless Some say its a culture thing I say how can you put a price on a family? If you love someone you mu

My FIL and brother in law supported us while we got things going years ago. Now FIL is over 80, and unable to work, or even think straight. It doesn't bother me a bit to help him now. We normally give

Bottom line is, we give WAY too much, and it is NOT appreciated.

Paul

As long as they know how to Appreciate it

The ones who ask - don't.

• Like 1
contraman

And there lies the problem :(

hilyfe

That's what they will tell you and program her to believe.

So you'd be ok then if, a family member told you they needed p20K for some life or death surgery or whatever and you made sacrifices to get them the money and then you found out they bought booze and shabu with the money.

Theres nothing more i hate than a liar

If thats the case

Ill just look at it as a hopless case and stay as far away as i can

Now its up to their daughter if she wants to follow me or not

• 2 weeks later...
hyaku

after over half a decade to PI and several girlfriends later, my advice to any newbie is to not give 1 peso to either your GF or her family until you are married, living together and you know all her family well, you know everything about your girlfriend and you don't have the slightest doubt she is not genuine. Only then should you support her if she needs it and she would be living with you. Then you can consider helping family as well if that is something that your interested in.

Anything other than that could be setting yourself up for a big slap in the face one day! ;)

They still expect it even if they live with you. Maybe getting married makes you more responsible as a member of the family but getting treated as a member is something else. It just puts you at the top of the list for a handout. I have to say I found out is was not so much a partner asking as constant text messages telling her, "YOU SHOULD HELP". If anything it drove a wedge into the relationship. She was sometimes very pissed off because the harassment was just too much.

• Like 1
hyaku

My late father always said that to me and so is my late grandfather

Ilthey said if you marry a pinay

Expect them to ask for support from you hehehe

So i expect that from them hehehe

Its pretty ok with me though no problem with that

Utang na loob? I have yet to see it.

Only in times of emergency. Like the beginning of this month, my grandma passed away so I paid the funeral.

• Like 1
manly4eva

My girls parents have only asked once and that was to help her younger brother go abroad for work.The mother had intentions of paying the 55000 peso but her funds hadn't come through from the government on time.She offered to pay me back but I made the son do it on a payment plan over 2 years.After years of him and family sponging off his parents he is now working.Money well spent for me..When he comes home for a holiday we have decided to send his family to Manlia for a small holiday with some of the money he has paid me back..Sort of a forced saving for him.I have made small security improvements around the parents house,new grills and front door.This is the house my girl lives in and will inherit so again not really a loss for me.Got some pigs for FIL to ease his boredom..Extended family and townsfolk sometimes ask for money but I always refuse.My girl has college friends in Manila who do things for us there to save us the overnight trip and we always pay them very well,usually double days pay...To much if you ask my missus ...I think I have been pretty blessed with the family I have joined...Don't ask for money and give us plenty of space even we are only 5 minutes away..

sugbu777

I will even admit at the US embassy interview. the Pina interviewer asked how much I was going to send to Ma.

I am wondering why that would even come up at the embassy interview. Hardly a pertinent interview question. I recall there was only one question the interviewer (a US gov't employee , not a  FN employee)asked my wife "Why do you want to go to the US?"

She looked kind of flabbergasted at the question and answered immediately "To be with my husband and children." The interviewer smiled, and replied "You will be" as he approved her immigrant visa

• Like 2