• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hilyfe

• Raptor

• Pman

• Paul

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being a filipino my self I was brought up to help in any way i can (family) Family is priceless Some say its a culture thing I say how can you put a price on a family? If you love someone you mu

My FIL and brother in law supported us while we got things going years ago. Now FIL is over 80, and unable to work, or even think straight. It doesn't bother me a bit to help him now. We normally give

Bottom line is, we give WAY too much, and it is NOT appreciated.

Paul

You're looking for an American wife?

He may be crazy, but he isn't stupid. :D :D

Americans asians whats the difference
Mainthing im happy with who she is doesnt matter to me

Wait. I may have to rethink my previous post. 

Man, do NOT marry an American woman, EVER.

• Like 3
Dublin boy

My extended family run a few businesses so they support themselves but we do chip in for any type of emergency as my wife only wants to make sure it's fair.

• Like 2
Maybe Next Yr

I used to give only in emergency BUT I funded one brother 30,000 PHP to start a business, but his gf ran it to the ground (only got 4,000 php back) ... that was fine, no problem, he's on the NEVER AGAIN list.  He's a good guy just naive about some things, still he had his chance.   Another brother I put through welding school (about 60,000 PHP) and he's been working, supporting his wife and child for over a year now ... it was well worth it, no need to pay back it was a worth while gift.  My wife and I just started giving her Mom, in the province, a sack of rice a month (50 kg), about 2000 php.  

Of course we live much higher than the family in phils and have more than enough to share, but we believe in people "standing on their own" as much as possible.  We'll always help in an emergency (and have done so) and always give syblings and other close relatives at least one chance at business or school ... it's a pleasure and an honor to help ... but they have to show they are willing to "stand on their own" with the boost up.

• Like 7
Lee

There is actually no correct or wrong answer, it is all depending on the family. For us, we help those who help themselves, for the most part my wife's family all work, so when a REAL emergency comes up, we are always there for all of them and God willing I hope we can always be there for them.

We also give a sack of rice to each family whenever they need it but especially every other year and buy chickens and sometimes a pig for a feast when we visit and send them bb boxes full of donated clothing and new items such as reading glasses etc. whenever we visit. The wife likes to bring the family together, so those who have never cheated us, get free travel to visit the rest of the family, those who have cheated us get nothing from me ever again except in real emergencies, yes I am a hardhead hardass but as far as I am concerned stealing from me makes them my enemy just as people who have stolen from me while back in the states. 

We sent 6 nieces and nephews to college, one graduated the rest wasted or stole part or all of the money including one nephew who stole at least one years worth of college for three, so over p100,000, needless to say anyone who stole money I never wish to see again. One nieces mother took money from her school account, even after my wife had told her she could not, the niece did not get to go to college because of her mother but the niece now grown up and working did come to us a few years ago and try to pay it back, the fact that she tried meant a lot to me, so we let her keep the money as long as she promised it would not go to her mother. IMHO stealing or pissing away money should never be rewarded, too many seem to keep giving and giving, even when all the money gets wasted, which IMO makes it bad for the rest of us but it is your lives to live the way you wish to live it. 

Edited by Lee
  • Like 3
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

Most of my wife's siblings are poor but work to provide for their families.

Usually the only money we give them is when we visit, we might stock up the pantry or buy the children some clothes. My BIL has a trike and clears about P300 a day. When we are in town we basically hire him full time, which mostly means he drives us back and forth to family functions that he is a part of anyway. We give him P500 and fill his gas tank for a few days transportation. We usually buy the food for family get-togethers, but rarely is it even P1,000. My wife has 2 dogs and we send money for thier food about every other month and throw in a few hundred for their trouble. I actually want to send money more than my wife does. Whenever we send money they are highly appreciative and never act like it is owed them.

• Like 4
Bill H

Before we were married, my wife worked and gave the bulk of her paycheck to her parents.  After we got married she quit working, but I continued to give them an amount equal to her paycheck.  That seemed fair to me and keeps them in rice.  When emergencies crop up, I will contribute to some if they are not alcoholics or drug addicts.  Seems to be the norm to do that in the PH.

• Like 5

Being a filipino my self

I was brought up to help in any way i can (family)

Family is priceless

Some say its a culture thing

I say how can you put a price on a family?

If you love someone you must learn to lover her family which is your extended family

So if someone in my family is having a ruff go of it I can expect a filipina wife to be good with me requesting she send part of her paycheck to that family member every month ?

• Like 1
quit_yume

my wife has a lot of siblings and it was her turn to support the next one down through college.  i interrupted that by bringing her here and she is not yet working so i give her what is needed to support that one.  she actually just graduated few weeks ago and she is in turn going to support the next one down on the sibling list through school.  other than that i give my wife a $120 allowance and she sends a lot of it to her parents.

my wife also makes a concerted effort to keep the begging types in her family away from me.   

Edited by quit_yume
  • Like 2
Runian

I do what I can in emergencies and I try to sneak in some odds and ends elswhere, if honey ko lets me . so no poll questions to fit me, change the emergency question a bit and I'll put my pip in there 

bmoore

My wife runs that department. She is stricter than I. We mainly fund events: Fiestas, funerals, hospitalizations and send about 8 BB boxes a year. My wife says no a lot.

• Like 1
redman69

I give my mother inlaw 6K peso a month, We tried to do it 1/4 but she spent the money in two weeks. so now we pay 10 dollars a month the send her 150.oo. Just had a drunk son and his 3 daughters move in. Will go to 190 a month. Started at 4K and bought her a trike for income. The drunk son got that and never gives her money. So we upped it to 6K, plus she went to hospital for high blood and needs that med now. so the 6K covers that also.

we just sent 20K peso for a new TV, dvd player and atenea. She likes her soup operas. I wanted to do this as I heard the old tv has gave out. When there I bought a lot. 540K for 384 sq mt. Told a brother if he put a fence up he could have the back 1/3. that was 2 years ago and no fence. Of course we have bill of sale but no clear title. Went to Bric and paid taxes. but have been waiting for heirs to pay their taxes so it can be subdivided. Will try as the years pass to get a building permit in carcar which would show local ownership.

knowing this will just add a room to the existing squatters shed for the 3 granddaughters. Also do send the 6 grandkids 2K at Christmas for stuff they need. And a Forex box full of stuff bought at yard sales thru out the year.

Have sent a sister 50K peso for 3 years at CNU to become a teacher. She has started a 5 for 6 business with her husbands job. Now has 150K and has paid for one year of school. She has done good and am learning she has hope. When she is finished school has passed her boards and has married the father of the child I might put the lot in her name. Help build philippino house on it. and say it is for US when there. But it would be in here and the husband name. Based on her actions. She should be able to track it all down and get a title. the rest are a waste. But still my family.

Let me say. I am 60 my wife is 23. I agree to help take care of her mom when we married. My mother and father took care of their mothers and I have no problem doing the same. Thank God that I can. Lucky the wife is honest with me about what they need. they wanted 40 inch tv and cable. they go 32" and a atenea.

I am happy I can help. I hate to be scammed and lied to. Wife has learned that and likes to be honest. Many family have not learned that about me. And go to sleep hungery while I eat good and sleep soundly. Just my story. I am a prick, and a big one too!

• Like 2
hilyfe

He may be crazy, but he isn't stupid. :D :D

Wait. I may have to rethink my previous post. 

Man, do NOT marry an American woman, EVER.

Hahaha

Paul if ill marry an american ill bring her to philippines and we both live there

If ill marry a pinay ill moved there also heheheh

My bank account is safer that way hahah

So if someone in my family is having a ruff go of it I can expect a filipina wife to be good with me requesting she send part of her paycheck to that family member every month ?

Im not saying all filipinos are like me ofcourse

But i would expect her to help out

Help those in need

But like everything else

Theres an end to everything

There was an old saying

Give em a fish and hell eat for a day

Show him how to fish and hell have a f8sh to eat for everyday

Raptor

If you love someone you must learn to lover her family which is your extended family

Try to love them without giving them money, see how that works.

• Like 2
hilyfe

Youre making it like you are obligated to give them something

It is not mandatory to give them anything

(But for me its common sense to help in any way you can)

Infact you better off not giving them anything

Than making a big deal helping them out

What i know about filipinos

If you shame them

They will bite

• Like 2