• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hilyfe

• Pman

• Paul

• Raptor

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being a filipino my self I was brought up to help in any way i can (family) Family is priceless Some say its a culture thing I say how can you put a price on a family? If you love someone you mu

My FIL and brother in law supported us while we got things going years ago. Now FIL is over 80, and unable to work, or even think straight. It doesn't bother me a bit to help him now. We normally give

Bottom line is, we give WAY too much, and it is NOT appreciated.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

does anyone support family back in their home country or is that considered anti cultural

we only help when help is needed... so just emergencies 

• Like 1
KennyF

Bottom line is, we give WAY too much, and it is NOT appreciated.

Give a friend in need money and they will remember you

the next time they need money.

KonC

• Like 8
cebubird

Bill, HOW much you give, is up  to YOU, not THEM. If you keep giving and giving, it's on you, not them. So, put a stop to it. 

They will think you are the asshole. But, I would rather be an asshole, than a mooched off asshole. 

Hey!! I didn't say that as a complaint. I do it willingly because I believe it's the right thing to do--but we do give WAY too much.

• Like 1
Pman

I voted "They support me", since I have had families do more for me, than I have for them, in all reality. But, I have paid electric and water while staying on family properties. That seems to make them quite happy. I would also help in urgency, of course.

It is hard to outgive my girlfriend's family. They don't have money but they give a lot in other ways.

• Like 4
Cipro

When I was there I didn't but now that I'm back in California working it's not a big deal. I send $100or so every month and it helps them with an internet connection and a few small luxuries. We also send a BB box periodically. 

• Like 3
wondersailor

The advantage of being involved with an only child whose parents are dead.

• Like 1
Jester

I use to send 12,000p a month.  Then the wife got to working  and sending an ungodly amount every month, I do not know how much she is sending?  But I stopped.

• Like 5
RogerDuMond

My wife supports her sister and her kids and we built them a payag out back on the farm, but then her sister took care of my wife's son while she was working as a housekeeper in Saipan. She refuses to take care of her druggy husband so he doesn't live here. It is her money so what do I care what she does with it?

I am sure that when her mother dies, she will split the cost with two of her brothers who are seamen. Other than that, when someone in the extended family dies, she sends 1000 pesos.

The first and last time I was asked for money was her brother asking for money to build a wall. My wife reamed him a new asshole and didn't talk to him for eight years so now no one asks me.

• Like 6
Irenicus

Had to shoulder part of the the costs of a funeral (her father).  Only time I have had to "give" money in the 2.5 years I have known her.  

• Like 3
Mandingo

I vote 10,000+ not because of what I send but because of my wife.

Me, I sponsor a niece to college and besides the tuition and school related stuff I send her $60 once every two weeks. She has never asked for more, always send receipts and is grateful so I am cool with that amount.  

My wife is a different story. She has one kid still there in college and then sends to father, supports three sisters (living in her house) and then sends occasionally to her brothers too. This year she has averaged $1,400 a month which is half her monthly take home pay. If we were to ever argue it would be about how much she sends, I think it's crazy but she works and it's her money. My wife also has two sister in America that send too so the gravy train is rolling hard and fast in the province yet they are still poor. The reason I know is our bank accounts are linked otherwise I would have no idea whats she sends. 

BTW....my mom who is financially well off still works three days a week at 73 years old, my wife does not like to hear about that when I ask why her father at 62 thinks he is to old to work. Never had anyone on my side ask for money.

• Like 3
For Real

does anyone support family back in their home country or is that considered anti cultural

In emergencies or times of need. Same as in Phils, but the financial emergencies are much lesser in the west.

• Like 1
contraman

I use to send 12,000p a month.  Then the wife got to working  and sending an ungodly amount every month, I do not know how much she is sending?  But I stopped.

Which just goes to show that no matter what the amount is, They will spend it :(

• Like 5
Fred M

They are class biased and never marry down.

Picture a university educated accountant, family own a large farm and whose siblings are all working in the medical or engineering professions marrying a working class scaffolder from east London. That would be considered marrying down in many societies.

• Like 4