Piracy in Southeast Asia

quit_yume

This jpg shows a map of piracy incidents with a focus on Malaysia, but you can see that Philippines is very visible as well.  This represents the last couple of years.

The data is tracked and analyzed by Verisk which is a data analytics company.  The article (internal to Verisk) discusses the statistically increasing frequency of piracy.

Thought some might find this interesting to look at.  I occassionally have had trouble posting pics so i hope this works...  ;)

Hope it is of interest...

post-2373-0-46437400-1433519983_thumb.jpg

Edited by quit_yume
  • Like 5
Pman

Philippines looks like it's got the measles.

• Like 2
spydoo

This jpg shows a map of piracy incidents with a focus on Malaysia, but you can see that Philippines is very visible as well.  

It is interesting, thanks. It shows terrorism as well, and that's what has given The Philippines its measles - to borrow Pman's (alas, very) appropriate terminology.

• Like 1
contraman

Philippines looks like it's got the measles.

I though the ants had shit all over it

• Like 2
Headshot

What surprises me is the three pirate attacks in Manila Bay.

oztony

What surprises me is the three pirate attacks in Manila Bay.

Those ones were probably sanctioned.  :wheel:

• Like 2
JamesMusslewhite

It shows that it is business as usual in Moro Lands. They have always made their fortunes on piracy and slavery....

• Like 1
Oz Jon

A bit hard to see with the map scale, but -

It looks like most of the Phils black dots are inland - not really piracy, but political/robbery/kidnapping events?

Except down in the infamous SW (Sulu area) there don't appear to be many "sea events"

It would be interesting to see what's happening a bit further East in Indonesia  (that's a common yacht route up/down to Aus, via Ambon)

Eastern Indonesia looks pretty clean? - maybe Indon events are not recorded?

Edited by Oz Jon
Headshot
It looks like most of the Phils black dots are inland - not really piracy, but political/robbery/kidnapping events?

The black dots aren't piracy events. They are terrorist events. The chart shows both piracy and terrorist events. The really amazing thing is that there have been that many terrorist events have occurred in the Philippines in only two years. They certainly haven't all been covered by the media. It makes you wonder about their definition of a terrorist event. It also makes you wonder about the media.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

they should put many many more dots

most of the piracy is of movies and software and music

• Like 2