Sign in to follow this  
State Trooper

Advice to Newbies that want to live here from us expats

State Trooper

Ok guys, we often have those who want advice or have a question about moving here. Ive been asked about his countless times.  Lets make this thread comprehensive. Share your experiences, your ideas, especially how you might do things differently now that you have the wisdom of living here.

Every person who comes here has different expectations, different reasons and different income levels so this could be very educational not only for the newbies but for those of us who have been here awhile.

I think it might help if your response includes how long you have lived in the PHL and perhaps the city you live in or near.

So pick a topic or add one and give your advice / opinion.

Income /  Business / Collecting funds from your home country

Housing

Transportation

Immigration

Family

Wife or GF

Your homeland obligations and ties

Children

Buy or Rent a place

Adapting to the culture

Balikbayan boxes from home

• Like 4

SomeRandomGuy

Wing it

• Like 5

NOSOCALPINOY

After my early retirement in 1997, we winged it in the Philippines with no money in the bank, no PC of any kind, with just a $1,700 a month initial pension from the U.S. government, but I have experienced living in the Philippines before hand for about 4 yrs long time ago, which helped quite a bit in adapting to life in general here in the Philippines. It's an adventure settling down roots when one finally finds their niche in the Philippines, it'll either work or it won't, because the Philippines isn't to everyone's liking.  

I think there are already a lot of varying topics on this forum to pick and choose whatever a newbie needs to know just by browsing the topics one is interested in to help learn the ropes in living here and avoiding the pitfalls to those new arrivals for the first time in the Philippines.  

• Like 2

contraman

And besides that bit of invaluable advice to a newb I would add: Don't wear socks with sandals, especially black socks.

Yes, you dont want them being mistaken for you :yahoo:
  • Like 2

dnl_grout

Rectum-optics is when someone is so full of their own crap that they only have a shitty-view of the real world around them.

Just go to the forums and read what already there.

But you will have to hang around a month or more to read a post as direct and truthful as this one from James.

The great posts are like teachable moments....I am now briefed on Rectum-optics and a wiser man   :good:   

• Like 2

Oz Jon

....her reply........"Maybe it's the white socks you're wearing."

Lovely! - made my day!

• Like 3

Topper

The great posts are like teachable moments....I am now briefed on Rectum-optics and a wiser man   :good:   

Actually, there is a cure for that. It's called a "Optical Rectumery". It seems there is a nerve that runs from the back of your eyes, down through your spine and ends up just next to your anus. If you can get that nerve severed, it should clear up your shitty outlook on life. 

• Like 4

calasiaobound

Rectum optics! I'm totally stealing that one!

• Like 2

A_Simple_Man

Advice to newbs.  Those who can, DO.  Those who can't, give advice on LinC.  (Not always true but if anyone is offended by this comment then check to see if the show fits ya.)

• Like 1

contraman

Advice to newbs. Those who can, DO. Those who can't, give advice on LinC. (Not always true but if anyone is offended by this comment then check to see if the show fits ya.)

Guess you better not look in a mirror then, you my see someone that fits that criteria :)

Edited by contraman
  • Like 6