Sign in to follow this  
SomeRandomGuy

Customs Trying to rip me off?

SomeRandomGuy

Had a drama with my old credit card so had to cancel.

Just got a phone call from dhl express telling me my credit card has been held up at customs and i need to pay 1600 pesos tax.

Since when does courier mail get custom taxed?

burnttoast

I wonder how they come to the figure to tax based on it just being a credit card? I've heard of guys getting “taxed” on important documents like a contract. I read about it on here a few years back. If they can't figure out what the documents are they will sometimes contact the sender and / or receiver and put a tax on it based on the answer.

Irenicus

Just got a phone call from dhl express telling me my credit card has been held up at customs and i need to pay 1600 pesos tax. Since when does courier mail get custom taxed?

Courier packages get customs whacked all the time.  Never heard of a simple credit card getting taxed, though.  Just tell em you your limit is $10 - mebbe they'll lower the percentage extorted ... er.... taxed.

• Like 2

SomeRandomGuy

No cash without the card.....as its a replacement card....not sure how they want me to pay.

• Like 2

Irenicus

No cash without the card.....as its a replacement card....not sure how they want me to pay.

Definitely keep us updated on this one.  

Bizzaro world....

contraman

dhl express

And here lies your problem:)

Last April I had a A4 sized envelope of documents sent from the USA to me in Cebu.

DHL also wanted P1600 for tax. (seems like standard DHL charge.)

I told them that they were not worth P1600 so they can send them back.

Which they did.

• Like 1

SomeRandomGuy

Just got off the phone to dhl.

Explained that my debit card had been compromised and cancelled.

That is my replacement atm card.

Without it i can not access money.

How u want me to pay.

Am a tourist in the Philippines and was almost a victim of fraud but i was on top of that shit.

Now u want to charge me for my replacement card, so i can not spend money as a tourist in the Philippines?

Its defiantly more fun here then ain't it.

• Like 6

ozboy

A few years ago a container of donated clothes and stuff were sent by supporters here to help a self-funded charity helping the kids n families that live on the rubbish tip...........the tax on it was so outrageous that you could buy all the donations brand new here.....they were told to jam it and it was supposedly sent back but i doubt that......someone's sari sari shop got a huge donation..

• Like 1

shadow

A few years ago a container of donated clothes and stuff were sent by supporters here to help a self-funded charity helping the kids n families that live on the rubbish tip...........the tax on it was so outrageous that you could buy all the donations brand new here.....they were told to jam it and it was supposedly sent back but i doubt that......someone's sari sari shop got a huge donation..

They burned them, of course!

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/377759/economy/finance/boc-to-burn-used-clothing-allotted-to-yolanda-survivors

HeyMike

I had a debit card sent to me a few years ago. I do not remember any tax on it. I do not think it was DHL delivering it. Maybe FedEx.

SomeRandomGuy

I do not understand how being donated used clothing is illegal here.

Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth

• Like 2

contraman

This happened to some Aid Containers for Yolanda as well.

There was a story here on LinC about it :(

Found It :)

Link Here

Edited by contraman
  • Like 1

SomeRandomGuy

I had a debit card sent to me a few years ago. I do not remember any tax on it. I do not think it was DHL delivering it. Maybe FedEx.

I did it only a year ago....no tax.

Same company.

Last time it was out of date so needed a replacement sent.

What a pain in the ass...

I will not be paying 1600 pesos in tax for bloody mail.

• Like 3

HeyMike

So, this tax is something new. Good to know.

SomeRandomGuy

So, this tax is something new. Good to know.

I think it is a scam.

No way a replacement atm card gets a tax from customs.

Is frigging mail.

Something fishy is going on....its to late in the day to do anything about it though.

• Like 2