Introduction and repair : 

Workings and pressure : 

How to build : 

• Like 3

Runian

Nice explanation on how it work's in this one 

• Like 2

Alan S

Very old fashioned technology that is making a comeback.

• Like 1

Oz Jon

Very old fashioned technology that is making a comeback.

Yes, lots of them around Oz - a great, old invention!

The commercial ones are rugged and last forever with little or no maintenance.

And you can make one (DIY) very cheaply out of standard plumbing fittings!

an annoying  "clunking" noise though if you have one too close to the house

Edited by Oz Jon
  • Like 2

RogerDat

Wonderful if U got a stream like that one.

Now, WHAT does it do in simple terms, What is he pumping?

Paul

Yeah, as Alan stated, they have been around for a few hundred years. Here is some history I found on them. 

Hydraulic Ram Pump technology has been around since the late 1700’s. The first record is found in England in 1772 for a precursor to the ram pumps of today. This earlier pump was called a “pulsation engine” and was designed by Edward Mangino of Cheshire, England.

The first record of an actual ram pump is from France in 1796. Joseph Montgolfier added some valves and thus automated the earlier pulsation engine. This pump was patented in England in 1797 and improved in 1816.

The first United States patent for ram pumps was issued in 1809 to J. Cerneau and S.S.
Hallet.

Interest in ram pumps continued throughout most of the 19th century as more patents were issued in the United States and the French design and British patent were acquired by Josiah Easton of London, England. 
In the United States, interest in ram pumps declined in the 1890’s as electricity and electric pumps became more widely available.

Today, ram pumps are installed and functioning worldwide.

They are pretty cool though. I have viewed a number of videos on RAM pumps, on Youtube.

• Like 2

Runian

Being that my GF often ask questions or make statements that only make sense if you understand what she is talking about, I will apply my interpretive skills to yours :) 

This pump allow u to pump any liquid "within reason" higher then it's head water, without the need of motor to drive it. 

adding : 

in stead of using the head water pressure to drive a power turbine it uses it to push water up hill. One valve lets the water flow through building up momentum, then the check valve slaps shut at a given speed and volume of water, the momentum gained now need to go somewhere, and that is up your scro.. pipe to your tank :D 

Edited by Runian
  • Like 1

Paul

First off, RAM pumps aren't really efficient. They waste considerably more water than they pump. But, they use no power, other than the hydraulic power from water coming down a pipeline (from a higher elevation) to cause the pump to operate. 

Let me find a video for you to view, that will explain this. I found one recently where Practical Preppers (Scott) explained them quite well. 

contraman

For those who may not know how they work

Paul

This video will not show, because of the time tag on the end of the URL. However, follow the link and it will start just as he is about to show his RAM pump in operation, and explain about it.

https://youtu.be/_VTEpTq4cOI?t=22m22s

According to Scott, it takes 8 gallons of water for every one gallon the RAM pump delivers uphill. 

Edited by Paul

JamesMusslewhite

Had a member post on this subject on my Facebook Farm & Garden group today. I found it to be informative enough that I chose to bookmark the article he linked to his post.

This link shows its potential as it is currently being used with success here in the Philippines.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/353590/scitech/technology/this-simple-200-year-old-technology-brings-life-giving-water-to-mountain-villages

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
  • Like 2

RogerDat

OK, like a sterling motor that clicking, but the best you could do is fill a water tank, to do what with here? The water in streams, if water is in stream, here, is rancid!

Wonderfil idea for some places, but not much use here I don't think.

Really had me going, creek like that back home are wonderful.

tonny

Didn't  the Romans use something like that to move water in there  long man made water systems? over ground that went up and down over many miles?

• Like 1

Runian

Didn't  the Romans use something like that to move water in there  long man made water systems? over ground that went up and down over many miles?

I'd say no, as I remember it explained on Discovery they used a system of narrowing channels going down hill, this allowed the water to build up speed to be thrown higher then the original fall. 

Paul

Had a member post on this subject on my Facebook Farm & Garden group today. I found it to be informative enough that I chose to bookmark the article he linked to his post.

This link shows its potential as it is currently being used with success here in the Philippines.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/353590/scitech/technology/this-simple-200-year-old-technology-brings-life-giving-water-to-mountain-villages

Each ram pump can bring two liters of water every 64 seconds, and functions 24 hours a day. The water is then stored in water chambers in Upper Tialan and Sitio T'boli and distributed to a total of eight communal faucets the two sitios and Lower Tialan.

That is about 713 gallons every 24 hours. Not bad.

• Like 2