Electricity bill? What the heck?

smokey

I think he is saying the thermostat is set to 26* Celsius ( 79* Fahrenheit ) which would give a saving , a pretty standard set point is between 22 and 24 degrees Celsius. 

i think everyone sets it to what they feel is cool i like 22 

• Like 1
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• KennyF

• lopburi3

• Irenicus

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We run a 1.5hp split inverter aircon 24 hours a day every day of every month.  In addition to a 220 litre ref (also inverter), big ass lcd tv, electric oven etc and our bills have stayed remarkably co

Sorry I failed to explain properly. Usually the outside temperature here in Cebu is around 32 degrees. If you set the aircon to 26 degrees it is a comfortable temperature inside as the difference betw

They only seem to get fat after we marry them.....

curlycoon

Sorry I failed to explain properly. Usually the outside temperature here in Cebu is around 32 degrees. If you set the aircon to 26 degrees it is a comfortable temperature inside as the difference between outside and in makes it seem quite cold. I used to set my temperature to 24 which was and felt quite a bit colder. By setting to 26 the aircon cycles less, each time the aircon cycles it uses three times the power of leaving it running. I am no expert but setting two degrees higher than before has definitely resulted in a worthwhile saving. Hope this is helpful.

• Like 5
colemanlee

In some circumstances energy can be saved if the room is kept at a constant temperature as opposed to playing catch ups when it is turned off for a period and then on again.

I agree

Irenicus

I hate to be the bringer of bad tidings but I think your bill will be well over double that figure next month.

There's no way you can power a house including 18 hours a day of air con for 3,200 pesos.

I'd be tucking away 5,000 to 6,000 in preparation.

KonC

Kenny - just a follow up.  We got our actual bill for May today.  2,690 pesos - billing dates 5/6-6/4/15.

291 KWH used so about 9.25 per KWH.

The Carrier Optima .5 we have has been running about 18 hours a day during most of that period.  Set on 4 and it goes down to about 25 Celsius and RH of 52% which is comfortable enough.

It cools a Filipino sized bedroom.  Our office/gameroom is in a similair sized room and has same type of Carrier.  The two are never on at the same time though.

Price of electricity went down on Negros compared to last month.  Think it was 10 then.

• Like 1
KennyF

Kenny - just a follow up.  We got our actual bill for May today.  2,690 pesos - billing dates 5/6-6/4/15.

291 KWH used so about 9.25 per KWH.

The Carrier Optima .5 we have has been running about 18 hours a day during most of that period.  Set on 4 and it goes down to about 25 Celsius and RH of 52% which is comfortable enough.

It cools a Filipino sized bedroom.  Our office/gameroom is in a similair sized room and has same type of Carrier.  The two are never on at the same time though.

Price of electricity went down on Negros compared to last month.  Think it was 10 then.

I can only assume prices are way lower where you are as here it's 15.

My bill is 3,000 pesos with no air con.

The AC you have is efficient but is still ratted at a power consumption of 500W.

Thanks for the follow up.

KonC

• Like 1
Irenicus

I can only assume prices are way lower where you are as here it's 15. My bill is 3,000 pesos with no air con.

15?  Ugh.

I wouldn't be surprised if we went up next month.  NORECO has issued rolling blackout notices.

Gonna set up the outside bed and mozzie net.  We got a battery fan yesterday, so we might be OK.

So long as the water lasts....

lopburi3

22-24c is normal?  Not in my world.  Believe most consider 25c for workplace and we normally run at 28c in home and feel cold at 27c.  As currently about 37c here in Bangkok during the day that is a big difference and very comfortable (unless doing physical work).  The idea is to adapt to the country temperature rather than continue our old world standards (having blankets and such).

cold-blast.jpg

• Like 2
thebob

Not in my world.  Believe most consider 25c for workplace and we normally run at 28c in home and feel cold at 27c.

Yes in Japan work place AC is 28C and feels freezing if you've been outside when it's about 40C.

• Like 1
oztony

22-24c is normal? Not in my world. Believe most consider 25c for workplace and we normally run at 28c in home and feel cold at 27c.

Gee , I see you have picked 1* Celsius out as to what people would consider a normal setpoint. :wheel:

I own a commercial air conditioning business and 22* Celsius is the standard set point for cooling in Melbourne , we get temperatures up to 45* Celsius in summer and as low as 0* Celsius in winter , where the set point we operate on then is 21* Celsius  ,  other set points are based upon energy saving criteria.

Of course comfort levels are relative to outside ambient temperature , if people are in and out all day.

When you say 25*C for most people in a workplace is that Bangkok , Manila , Copenhagen , Jakarta , New York or Johannesburg.

Edited by oztony
  • Like 1
lopburi3

Actually several degrees difference and a great deal of money at the cost of power in Philippines.  There is no need for fat buildup in Philippines or here in Bangkok so there is not the need to cool the mass found in some less tropical places we may come from.  But we may have to do some adapting.  

7763.jpgEffectiveWeightLossNaturally.jpg

colemanlee

Rule number one, the colder it is, the closer she gets.....its not hard

• Like 4
contraman

Rule number one, the colder it is, the closer she gets.....its not hard

I'm leaving that one alone :yahoo:

• Like 3
oztony

Actually several degrees difference and a great deal of money at the cost of power in Philippines.  There is no need for fat buildup in Philippines or here in Bangkok so there is not the need to cool the mass found in some less tropical places we may come from.  But we may have to do some adapting.  

How the hell , did we arrive at the above post ? It does not correlate to what the conversation is about , and to prove how little you obviously know about Australia , the northern half of the country is tropical .

So if I am to get this right now , you are implying that Australia is a nation of overweight people that have the air conditioning set too low.

• Like 1
contraman

im-not-fat-just-american.jpg

• Like 4
smokey

Yes in Japan work place AC is 28C and feels freezing if you've been outside when it's about 40C.

well here is a real money saver for you set the ac to 32 then go outside and set yourself on fire then run back in should feel really cool :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:

• Like 3