Electricity bill? What the heck?

smokey

I was actually very happy to see that  our bill for May was only 3,200 pesos - we have been using the aircon about 18 hours a day with the city heat, so I was expecting more of a shocker.  

Have not had a brownout outside of the monthly Sunday 8 hour line maintenance that NORECO announces weeks ahead on their Facebook - but we are on a primary circuit.

But now they have rolling brownout notices up, so it might get ugly soon.   :(

dont forget its usually a month behind so maybe next month will be your shocker

• Like 1
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• KennyF

• lopburi3

• Irenicus

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We run a 1.5hp split inverter aircon 24 hours a day every day of every month.  In addition to a 220 litre ref (also inverter), big ass lcd tv, electric oven etc and our bills have stayed remarkably co

Sorry I failed to explain properly. Usually the outside temperature here in Cebu is around 32 degrees. If you set the aircon to 26 degrees it is a comfortable temperature inside as the difference betw

They only seem to get fat after we marry them.....

KennyF

I was actually very happy to see that our bill for May was only 3,200 pesos - we have been using the aircon about 18 hours a day with the city heat, so I was expecting more of a shocker.

I hate to be the bringer of bad tidings but I think your bill will be well over double that figure next month.

There's no way you can power a house including 18 hours a day of air con for 3,200 pesos.

I'd be tucking away 5,000 to 6,000 in preparation.

KonC

Irenicus
I hate to be the bringer of bad tidings but I think your bill will be well over double that figure next month. There's no way you can power a house including 18 hours a day of air con for 3,200 pesos. I'd be tucking away 5,000 to 6,000 in preparation.

It's a little Carrier Optima .5 and it's set on 4.  It's also in a Filipino sized bedroom.

I did the math myself - I actually track our KwH day to day - it's kind of an OCD thing I got going.

I sleep with it on and I also used the bedroom for writing and editing in May cuz of the heat.

I spent waaaay too much time in there in May.  Hopefully June will bring some clouds.

Oh yeah - good news all - a major LPA is supposed to be coming in a few weeks.  Projected temps will go from 91 F to about 83 F!!!

Edited by Irenicus
colemanlee

BossHog, on 02 Jun 2015 - 9:10 PM, said:snapback.png

Gasp.

19,000 for an electric bill.

That would give me a heart attack

I think ours is usually 900 or so.

running lots of power tools or something?

Just to make sure, I had Maline average all the bills, something interesting, before Yolanda the ele avg. 10k   after Yolanda 16k

And yes, we have a lot of appliances, One huge fridge,(largest home one samsung makes) one glass top freezer about 6x2 ft, two aircond's one that runs 24/7 the other one only at night, couple of large screen tv's two computers, laptop and desktop...and all the cooking stuff from microwave to rice cooker., also the water pump 3/4hp, and the shower heater (which burns a huge amount of juice)...so if you stop to think about it yea I guess its a lot.....when guys on here say they have the really small bills, I wonder what they are running...

• Like 1
ozboy

Anyone know what exactly is going on with the fire shutdown in Cebu......i know its being rationed, together with hardly any water pressure and the heat, i am really not sure about us returning next month...hope it gets fixed a bit more than what im hearing...

and yeah we had a huge bill in elect. while we were there, along with our Canadian neighbours in the same complex........ended up the landlord's caretaker was supplying electric for herself and a couple of neighbours....why they believe they won't get caught amazes me....

Edited by ozboy
KennyF

So what I'm hearing is that there has been around a 50% increase in electricity cost in the last two or three months?

The question is, why? What's the reason given?

KonC

• Like 1
poby

I hate to be the bringer of bad tidings but I think your bill will be well over double that figure next month.

There's no way you can power a house including 18 hours a day of air con for 3,200 pesos.

I'd be tucking away 5,000 to 6,000 in preparation.

KonC

We run a 1.5hp split inverter aircon 24 hours a day every day of every month.  In addition to a 220 litre ref (also inverter), big ass lcd tv, electric oven etc and our bills have stayed remarkably consistent at around 3k a month for the past year (since we replaced the AC).  It was 2970 last month, I would be very surprised if it was much more than that this month.

I know how much the  bill is, every 15th of the month as that's when they read the meter and write down the reading and total bill on a little yellow card mounted under the meter.

If you have energy efficient appliances, they can pay for themselves in electric savings over a relatively short time.  Before we changed the aircon, how bill averaged around 8k a month.  The new aircon, paid for itself in around 6 months of usage.

• Like 7
colemanlee

If you have energy efficient appliances, they can pay for themselves in electric savings over a relatively short time. Before we changed the aircon, how bill averaged around 8k a month. The new aircon, paid for itself in around 6 months of usage.

Most all my junk is at least four years old, none is inverter....when we finally get the new house built, Ill probably convert...

• Like 1
smokey

So what I'm hearing is that there has been around a 50% increase in electricity cost in the last two or three months?

The question is, why? What's the reason given?

KonC

why do they have to give a reason its a pay or we shut it off deal ... I noticed our system loss seems to be getting bigger and bigger

• Like 1
RogerDat

How much KW are U using that is the key. Prices are not changing, thats set by Gov.

KW price is about P9 on Mactan.  P6919 / by 794 KWH

curlycoon

I read an interesting article on building a Philippine House in which he explains how he manages his aircons. Basically he keeps the setting around 26 which is considerable cooler than the outside air temp. I tried this and it is a comfortable setting, feels cold at first but not too cold. Bills were much reduced. I use three aircons all night for a bill around 8000Php monthly. This includes some daytime use by kid on school holidays.

RogerDuMond

We have 3 meters. The consumption and cost for the farm and the second supply meter were basically unchanged. The third supply, which the majority of the house including 4 inverter air conditioners had an increase of about 1500 pesos. Two of the units never run, one is run for 24 hours once a week, and the fourth which is a 1 hp. inverter is run 24/7 at a setting of 26 C. I am assuming that the increase is due to the two air conditioners because they are running harder last month than the month before also probably an increased load on the ref to keep it cold.

• Like 1
Davaoeno

feels cold at first but not too cold. Bills were much reduced.

I seem to be missing the point that you are making.  Are you saying that the lower you set the temperature the lower your bills will be ??

smokey

I seem to be missing the point that you are making.  Are you saying that the lower you set the temperature the lower your bills will be ??

no he is saying he measured his piece of string and its different then your piece of string..

oztony
Are you saying that the lower you set the temperature the lower your bills will be ??

I think he is saying the thermostat is set to 26* Celsius ( 79* Fahrenheit ) which would give a saving , a pretty standard set point is between 22 and 24 degrees Celsius. 

In some circumstances energy can be saved if the room is kept at a constant temperature as opposed to playing catch ups when it is turned off for a period and then on again.

Edited by oztony
  • Like 1